Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 17, 2024, 02:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P-51 Crash  (Read 1532 times)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« on: September 16, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »

P-51 crashed at the Nevada Air Races, next to a box seating section.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:04 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=p-51+crash&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=p-51+crash&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=nws&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=4cf6854c04268dfe&biw=1280&bih=646

RIP

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »

The unlimiteds are pretty make the beast with two backsing wild.  A tragedy to be sure...

Lets hope that we don't hear calls for an end to the air races though.

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
elyse

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »

Im in Sacramento & ive been going to the air races for over 20 years..i was actually going tomorrow...this is just so sad to me...unfortunately there is already talk of ending the races, i truly hope that doesn't happen..

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:38 AM »

You can expect that the "Safety Bubble Suit" people will raise a Hue and Cry to ban anything and everything that smacks of risk or fun........... their list is very, very long

As for the race it is unfortunate

but spectating at sporting events that involve high-speed objects (bikes, cars, planes, baseballs, hockey pucks etc)

have risks...and sometimes the spectators inadvertantly become participants....

almost never with a good outcome I might add

This is an insult to the Pez community
muskrat

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »

sad.  I too hope they don't cancel the races but in today's litigious world I'm leaning towards it going away.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »

Lets hope that we don't hear calls for an end to the air races though.
They've already begun  Roll Eyes
we should just regulate away all risk or responsibility and become Europe already  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

truly tragic. Reports are that the pilot attemted to pull away from the stands, but was unsuccessful.

Respeta mi autoridad!
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »

we should just regulate away all risk or responsibility and become Europe already  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That's right.  It is the govenments' duty to protect us from ourselves!

Radiation from my laptop may be causing cancer, so I need to go back to my bubble room now.

Roll Eyes

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »

sad day for the families of those involved. I dont care about the air races but I do care that people have lost loved ones. It really is a sad day for a lot of people.
I wonder if the pilot had a heart attack or stroke? Howcome he did not bail? why did he not steer the plane away from the crowds? I bet something happened to the pilot before the crash. There is no blame at this point, only a lot of sadness.
My condolences to all families involved including that of the pilot. Cry

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
Punx Clever

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »

sad day for the families of those involved. I dont care about the air races but I do care that people have lost loved ones. It really is a sad day for a lot of people.
I wonder if the pilot had a heart attack or stroke? Howcome he did not bail? why did he not steer the plane away from the crowds? I bet something happened to the pilot before the crash. There is no blame at this point, only a lot of sadness.
My condolences to all families involved including that of the pilot. Cry

From what I've read, it sounds like nothing happened to the pilot before the incident.  Reports say that he lost control of the aircraft (mechanical failure most likely), and was headed directly towards the grandstands.  The pilot pulled up to avoid said grandstands, and ended up coming down near the box seating area.  The simple fact is, the pilot did everything he could to not kill thousands of people, and succeeded in that fact.  Sucks that three people have died and many others are hospitalized, but it's better than a thousand dead.

As for the pilot's health, the reports also mention that he was in great health... in order to fly those planes like that you pretty much have to be.  His right leg was probably as big around as a tree.

He didn't bail because in WWII there were no ejection seats.  Let alone ejection seats that work at 50 feet (the zero-zero seat is a fairly recent and pretty awesome bit of kit).  Doing 500 MPH 50-150 feet off the ground, there's no time to bail.  Hell, in a T-34, NATOPS says you need to be out the plane before 2400 feet, if I remember right, if you want to survive.

At the end of the day... it seems to me that if you go to the air races, it's pretty obvious that you are taking a major risk.  Old warbirds going 500mph, balls out, 50 feet above the ground and less than a quarter mile away from you?  Yeah, that's dangerous.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

well whatever reason for the crash it is a sad day in a lot of people lives.

In ww2 I know there were no ejection seats as technology had not got that far in production aircraft

It was canopy back straps off and out- bail out time, plenty of pilots did it.

I also understand that there may have not been time in this instance and that perhaps the plane suffered a mechanical issue. Either way it is a sad day for many.

Not arguing any of your points just saying.

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
Punx Clever

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »

I understand, just providing a bit of insight.

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:49:01 PM »

I'd venture a guess that any of those guys would stick with it all the way in if unsure about where it might land/hit.  I know damn well that would be my plan.

RIP Leeward.

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »

My Dad was an instructor in the old Army Air Corp and was later involved in the old Confederate Air Force (name is now PC friendly Roll Eyes) for years and years. He had a T-28 Trojan and a series of T-6 Texans. His two big "plane parties" every year were the Reno air races and the Oshkosh fly in. He hit them both every year until he got too old to fly. I think not flying is what finally killed him.

Really sad to hear about the accident. I can't believe more folks didn't get killed. That number could unfortunately rise due to the number of critically injured. Very sad indeed. Still no reason to cancel the races. Bad things happen. Life is dangerous. It's supposed to be.

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
elyse

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »

reports are coming out that a piece of the tail had fallen off the plane... i dont believe there was an ejection seat but even if their had been i highly doubt it would have been used... those pilots out there would try everything in their power to maneuver away from the crowd

as for the health of the pilot, he was in great health & all of the pilots at the races must undergo annual exams by a flight surgeon

there's been 9 reported casualties so far Sad

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: