Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 11:42:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dresden VW factory  (Read 3002 times)
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »

Spending $100k on a car is a huge gamble. 

Not to the people who are likely willing to drop that kind of money on a car.  Well, to the people who can actually afford to drop that kind of money on a car I mean.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

Not to the people who are likely willing to drop that kind of money on a car.  Well, to the people who can actually afford to drop that kind of money on a car I mean.

Exactly.  Go back to what I said about Europeans;  They buy what everyone else is buying.  If you're going to drop that much coin on a car, you're going to look and see what your neighbor is buying-- partly because you want to keep up and partly because you want to know what's out there.  VW sold only 3700 Phaetons in the USA over 5 years.  Not too many neighbors have them, no buzz nothing. 

Chances are if you're going to fart out 100k for a car, you're going to head to the AMG dealer or the BMW or the Audi. 

Which is really how VW should do things.. Audi should be their luxury line and maintain VW as the middle of the road line and Seat/Škoda as the shit line.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:30:12 PM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
teddy037.3
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »

One word, Audi.

that's not quite the same, though... if audi was invented for the US lux market and contained nothing but badge engineering, then maybe... hell, look at chevy/GMC...

parts bin sharing aside, audi is it's own thing.

what I thought was silly about the phaeton was that it was a competitor to the A8...
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »

I was about to say, you forgot Skoda at first.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »

Meh.

Beetle R....  drool

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »

I was about to say, you forgot Skoda at first.

Škoda is what happened when VW make the beast with two backsed a Saab

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »

parts bin sharing aside, audi is it's own thing.

Not really.  They dictate certain things to VW, especially here in the states.  Look at power ratings of the sporty VW models in Europe, and then compare them to the state-side model.  All of the US spec cars are down, some by as much as ten percent.  That's not because the engine is de-tuned, but because Audi does not want the VW to seem like it is encroaching on their (Audi's) turf.

Also, the two companies devised their market strategy together several years back, with Audi trying to target BMW and VW (Phaeton) going after Merc.

teddy037.3
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »

... but because Audi does not want the VW to seem like it is encroaching on their (Audi's) turf.

what I meant was they they are separate companies, and not up-branded items for the US market (like how the japanese do it).  VW didn't say, "hey, they won't buy our $30,000+ VWs, so let's call them something else."
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »

they may try to bring it back ...

Some of the problems, as described by VW America CEO Stefan Jacoby, include initial quality issues, overpricing and lackluster styling. Prices for the car started at about $70,000 and went all the way up to $100,000 for the flagship W12 model. Speaking with Automotive News, Jacoby said a good price for the new model would be about $55,000 and described the new car as being smaller than the current model so as to not compete with its Audi A8 cousin. Jacoby wasn’t willing to give a release date for the car but earlier reports claim it will be launched in Europe by 2010.

To further differentiate the new Phaeton from its rivals, officials are also considering adding a diesel model to the lineup but no final decision has been made. The only thing that’s certain is that if it does arrive the car will still carry the Phaeton name. "The Phaeton is the name of Volkswagen's luxury. We are proud of this name, and this name fits this car," Jacoby explained.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »

We shall see.  Jacoby is gone now though, so hopefully there will be a bit more "improvement" in VW of NA. 

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

Škoda is what happened when VW make the beast with two backsed a Saab

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »

The Phaeton is available in a sizable chunk of the rest of the world.  It is essentially a steel bodied A8 and even has family ties with some Bentleys.  Failure in the US market does not equal failure.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 04:33:25 AM »

The Phaeton is available in a sizable chunk of the rest of the world.  It is essentially a steel bodied A8 and even has family ties with some Bentleys.  Failure in the US market does not equal failure.

In Europe, VW is like Ford is here.  They make a huge range of cars and people know them as a full-range brand rather than as an economy brand.  Same with Mercedes, the A class is only £16,000 including VAT in England.  Figure about $18,000 if they sold it in the US (based on price comparisons with VW and Toyota models sold in the US and UK).

WHen Americans think VW they think "cheap, mostly reliable."  Not "shares a frame with a Bentley" and certainly not the price!

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 04:40:30 AM »

WHen Americans think VW they think "cheap, mostly reliable."  Not "shares a frame with a Bentley" and certainly not the price!

Which reinforces my original sentiment.   Collectively, we haz teh dumbz... 

Grin

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »

Which reinforces my original sentiment.   Collectively, we haz teh dumbz... 

Grin
I'd say it reinforces my point that VW has sold themselves as an economy car company in the US.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: