Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew my first corner today...  (Read 10539 times)
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

try the lee parks total control classes... they're done in a parking lot, but they do teach you a lot.

if not that, then try this:

http://www.superbikeschool.com/

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
gh0stie
All I ever wanted as a kid was to be a

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »

thread title had me thinking of something completely different
polivo

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »

Normally I dont chime in on these kinds of questions because theres sooooo much room for debate, opinion and misinterpretation. However, my personal experience tells me this one can be answered in a non controversial way.

1. Go out to your bike right now.
2. take a look at your rear tire.
3. How much unused rear tire do you see on left and right side? (more than an inch i assume)
4. Take a deep breath and say to yourself "I am no where near the lean angle this bike is capable of".

In short, i think most people will agree with this one. If you still have ANY chicken strips showing.. you can lean over waaaaaaaay  more than you currently are.
Timebomb7585

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »

Normally I dont chime in on these kinds of questions because theres sooooo much room for debate, opinion and misinterpretation. However, my personal experience tells me this one can be answered in a non controversial way.

1. Go out to your bike right now.
2. take a look at your rear tire.
3. How much unused rear tire do you see on left and right side? (more than an inch i assume)
4. Take a deep breath and say to yourself "I am no where near the lean angle this bike is capable of".

In short, i think most people will agree with this one. If you still have ANY chicken strips showing.. you can lean over waaaaaaaay  more than you currently are.

LOL, yep you are right. There is 1"+ showing on the rear tire. (The rear tire looks so skinny to me, maybe that's what's stopping me from leaning more).
sgollapalle

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »

If you are wearing riding boots and have the metal toes, you'll see them scrape before you hit the pegs. you'll still see may be a quarter inch of unused tire on the 696 even after you scrape pegs. The stock pegs fold up a bit, but that is where you stop.

And trust me, when those boots scrape the first time, brown-pants will occur Tongue

'11 M-696
Triple J
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »

Also remember to look through the corner, and get your weight of the bars. Steering inputs (and subsequently greater lean angles) are a lot easier when you look through the corner and don't target fixate on where you don't want to go. It's amazing how easily a bike turns when you quit fighting it with bad technique.

+whatever we're up to on a track school.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

i have the same problem sort of.

on the street im a big wuss. u will not see me get anywhere near what the bike can do.

on the track i dont care. ill drag my knee and the rearsets all day and not think twice as i progress.

the problem is how much balls you go on the street. experience makes you less of a wuss. just keep riding and take it one step at a time, a beginners track day will give u a lot of insight on what u can do with your bike. depends on the organization that teaches u.

they are PURELY track oriented, how to be faster, proper body etc. nothing about safe riding for the streets.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
yamifixer

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »

Glad it goes into the books as a miss. Chalk it up as a learning point. 

Am i wrong in thinking that doing stuff like that has nothing to do with being a "newb" I have been riding since I was 6 and did almost the same thing last ride. Entered with tight left with a thousand things in my head and none of them the bike right at the moment. Saved it from doom in the grass. stopped and cleared my head and road home. I guess that is why I wear gear.

'00 M900Sie, '66 Benelli Fireball, '70 Honda Z50
Valve Springs are EVIL
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »

We have practice days at our race course where experienced riders make it a point to help new riders to learn how to navigate corners by teaching them entry speed, braking points and proper lines. This creates a teaching/learning environment without the competitive race day or track day pressure. This is how I learned what my bike can do or what I can do with my bike without getting hurt. Don't forget that there is only two kind riders...the ones that have crashed and the ones that will....well if you ride your bike hard enough Grin
duc996

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »

I wouldn't worry much about how further you can lean the bike, worry about how smoothly you can take that corner , and it all depends on how far or how close you are getting in the corner.  waytogo

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
polivo

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »

I agree with duc.  Lean angle is nothing without technique.  The lean angle should come as a result of entry speed, intended apex and exit..  It should nt be the first goal going in.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: