Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 01:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the era of the motorcycle over?  (Read 9075 times)
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »

Same pointed head liberal elitism in articles that is saying that the world is over as we know it because they have a "vision" of the future.  Bunk it!  But we must stay vigilant against the ones that are trying to push us into the cookie mold.  I sound paranoid?  I don't think so.  Look at a lot grass root sports that are going by the way side because that sport as a whole is not paying attention.  OK riding is not a sport per say to an elitist  pin head but the parables are the same.  Why don't I just say what I feel?  coffee

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
zarn02

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »

I'll have whatever he's having.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »

i dont know about you guys but i bought my bike to get the ladies! now the girls want guys with iphones so im going to get an iphone 5 and wear skin tight jeans.

later you losers!!!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »

i dont know about you guys but i bought my bike to get the ladies! now the girls want guys with iphones so im going to get an iphone 5 and wear skin tight jeans.

later you losers!!!

dont forget to trade in your bike for a fixie and a chrome bag.  that'll be what totally seals the deal.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Pedro-bot

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »

dont forget to trade in your bike for a fixie and a chrome bag.  that'll be what totally seals the deal.

Only if that fixie comes with deep v wheels.  Tongue

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »

Only if that fixie comes with deep v wheels.  Tongue

OK : I give up what is a "Fixie and a chrome bag" ?     I'll try anything once.............Well almost anything Grin

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
zarn02

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »

A fixie is a one-speed pedal bike. They're pretty hip at the moment.

And I've no idea about the chrome bag. I have a mental image of a tacky silver messenger bag, but I'm not cool enough to know for sure.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »

Chrome bags are the ones with the hip-looking seatbelt release buckle right near the wearer's solar plexus. They get REALLY pissed off when you say "What does this button do?" (poke).

Try it, it's fun.

Evil

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »

Fixie:

Chrome brand messenger bag:

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Steve.In.Atlanta

Rider in downtown Atlanta

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »

Oh hell no, it's never over, only ever evolving. The era of 60K choppers from OCC is flaming out but the visceral experience of riding won't be.

I'm seeing more Japanese cafe style bikes around Atlanta and a whole lot of souped up mopeds. Whatever the two wheels the goal is the same, transportation and/or individual expression for attracting the ladies. I've been riding off and on for over 20 years and find nothing better than just being in the wind no matter what's necessarily under me as long as it's fun.

2005 Monster S4R
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk3 (project bike)
2001 Monster 900S (stolen)
Steve.In.Atlanta

Rider in downtown Atlanta

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »

A fixie is a one-speed pedal bike. They're pretty hip at the moment.

And I've no idea about the chrome bag. I have a mental image of a tacky silver messenger bag, but I'm not cool enough to know for sure.

I've had my Chrome XL messenger bag for about 10 years now and have used in on both bicycles and motorcycles. As for the buckle, I had it welded because some ass-hat would push it without fail  Cheesy

But what's most important to me about them, I can fit 2 twelve packs of beer in and bring it home on my bike  chug

2005 Monster S4R
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Mk3 (project bike)
2001 Monster 900S (stolen)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »

you cant tell thats a fixie.

a fixie is a death bike. why ANY idiot would ride that thing in the city is beyond me.

the pedals are FiXED to the rear tire so no matter what they keep spinning. so you cant get off your bike and use your legs as shocks in case you go over a bump. instead you have to eat it because the rear wheel will continue to spin your pedals and your feet which are connected to them.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

Call me selfish, but I have bought motorcycles for only two reasons: Me and the motorcycle.

While looking cool on a cool looking bike full of farkle is great, for me it's still about, it's really only about, me riding the machine, admiring the machine, or tinkering with the machine.

Everything else is just waiting.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Pip
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »

I think the riding of a motorcycle, like most hobbies individuals have, is all about the action... the experience. Same with playing music, or building a ship in a bottle, or parkour if you are into all that. For someone to question the survivability of a hobby like motorcycling is to question the survivability of people who enjoy the process. There will always be people that like dancing, or, tae-bo, or motorcycling whether it's cool or not... and therefore there will always be dancing, tae-bo, and motorcycling, etc. Human beings are do-ers, and as long as people enjoy it, they will find a way to do it.

"You can fight a lot of enemies and survive, but not your biology."

Wouldn't fat air be easier to disappear into?
d3vi@nt

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »

a fixie is a death bike. why ANY idiot would ride that thing in the city is beyond me.

the pedals are FiXED to the rear tire so no matter what they keep spinning. so you cant get off your bike and use your legs as shocks in case you go over a bump. instead you have to eat it because the rear wheel will continue to spin your pedals and your feet which are connected to them.
Any bike is a death bike if you don't know how to ride it.

More accurately, the rear cog is fixed (hence "fixie") to the hub and has no free-wheel mechanism so you cannot coast. With correct technique, you can easily lift your arse off the saddle whilst pedaling and absorb any bump(s). With correct technique there's no need for brakes, either.  Picture it as a naked bicycle -stripped away of all the extraneous junk: no brakes, no cables, no derailleurs, chainrings, shifters. Nothing but a bike in it's simplest form.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: