Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 22, 2024, 08:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer bike - strapless stand vs pit bull's trailer restraint  (Read 17531 times)
ab
ab

ab

« on: November 19, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

In light of a recent trailer accident that happen to my  :'( 620 monster http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=53077.0 ,

I am now researching a solution pointed out by some DMF members.

I am trying to determine which one is a better product between the STStands and the pit bull version.

Do you guys/gals go as far as adding front wheel choke on top of this as an extra measure ?  If yes , which product do you recommend or use for front wheel choke.

http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm

or

http://www.pit-bull.com/trailer-restraint.shtml

or any other recommendations.

In addition, how exactly do you guarantee the bottom part that is attached to the trailer is secure enough?  

ststrapless

pit bulls trailer restraint
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:55:28 AM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »

Interesting products  waytogo

To me, it seems like the Pitbull will allow the bike to jump up and down while the ST holds it down...

Much less momentum on the ST mounting points, but the Pitbull seems to be easier to operate on your own.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

But either way, I'd never go strapless ...

I mean, never go without strapping the bike down ....

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
ab
ab

ab

ab
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »

Oh 100% strap her down on top of this strapless solution n even go as far as   choke the pregnant dog. lol

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »

Oh 100% strap her down on top of this strapless solution n even go as far as   choke the pregnant dog. lol

if the trailer is yours,  for either base you chose, either bolt it down or permannetly weld it to the trailer .. I'll do that ... also, a front chock would also help ...

example: http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=60

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
derby

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »

But either way, I'd never go strapless ...

I mean, never go without strapping the bike down ....

plenty of racers using the strapless and pitbull stands w/o a front chock or straps.

the pitbull is a "nicer" solution, but the strapless stands are cheaper.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »

plenty of racers using the strapless and pitbull stands w/o a front chock or straps.

the pitbull is a "nicer" solution, but the strapless stands are cheaper.

if you came down here, you'll use a chock a rear stand and straps ... 4 on front and 4 on rear ... our streets are very bumpy ...

Plus, I was only saying as added security ,...

Carlos
ab
ab

ab

ab
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »

Price comparison

STStand ~ $249

Pitbull restraint  ~ $279

They are not cheap unfortunately.

red baron

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »

Looking at the two (and already an owner and knowing how overbuilt the pit bull products are) I'd go pit bull.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »

I can personally say (wsh I still had the picture) that the Pitbull works exceedingly well...on my way to the 1st Indy GP my friend Henry has his bikes in his enclosed trailer following us as a chase vehicle of sorts...he had a stabilizer on the trailer that failed and the waggle of the trailer coming down an 8% grade forced his truckonto the side of the road when the trailer finally turned onto its side and did all kinds of damage and wreaked some havoc...meanwhile, the bikes were on Baxley sport chocks on the front and the front end was strapped into the D-Rings while the back was in the pitbull strapless rear restraints....when they opened the trailer door ( more it was pulled the hinga off and let the door fall) the bikes were still suspended hanging sideways on the floor that was now positioned as a wall of this trailer laying on its side and were for the most part perfectly fine....they cut the trailer off the hitch and righted it up and pulled the bikes out and the damage to them was very minimal...so my vote, knowing the violence they experienced would be for the Pitbull...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »

Wow, crazy story but very impressive. Should had sent pics to Baxley and Pitbull for future ads! waytogo I have a Baxley sport chock that I have meant to attach to my 6x10 utility trailer for a couple of years. Just haven't gotten around to it. Not even sure where the floor mount kit is. bang head I have a standard front wheel chock mounted on the trailer floor and I always use four Ancra straps. Two front, two on the back. I too think I could flip my trailer and the bike would still be there. Anchored pretty well with the 4 straps. Guess that's why I have never gotten around to mounting the Baxley.

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »

sportchock+straps+canyon dancer. never had a problem (and during the winter ill do~ 4-8 pick ups and drop offs a day).
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »

I use pit bulls and transport a number of different bikes very frequently.

The pit bull is superior because it allows the bike to float on it's own suspension. Rather than try and control all of that force on a bumpy road, it let's the bike do it's thing and the restraint pivots at the bike and the floor. I

It's simply a fantastic system, I wouldn't go with anything else!!

I figure I've got something like 5000 miles on the pit bulls (2) with zero issue

Triple J
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »

I use the pit bull stand without a chock or straps, and Seattle roads are crap.  I also know several others who use it without straps. It is fantastic, and far superior to any strap system IMO.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:37:30 PM by Triple J » Logged
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59:53 AM »

If Zooom hadn't beat me to it, I was going to relate the same tale. I also know the fellow who's trailer turned over and the Pit-Bulls+ kept the bikes secured even in that catastrophic event.

The photo might still be out there some place, it's worth finding if possible - Henry should have sent to to pit-bull to use in an advert.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: