Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 02:36:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466741 times)
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »

I like to go big Grin
bah, brakes just slow ya down

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »

Who needs brakes? I just lowside to slow me down!

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2012, 07:04:44 AM »

YOu guys ever see this:
It's for a 2010 530 EXC - the two brothers folks replace the carb jets and pick up 13 HP

" "Why are you installing a smaller jet and needle than the stock size?" Because even though the stock Main Jet is a 180, and we replace it with a 160, the stock needle is very large in diameter, causing the bike to run lean. The needle we installed is much smaller in diameter than stock and even with the smaller 160 Main Jet installed the fuel mixture is corrected and the bike runs perfectly with a free flowing aftermarket exhaust."

This seems backwards, bigger jet causing a lean condition. But the dyno would seem to back the work. Anyone who knows more about carbs care to explain?

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
DanTheMan

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »

This seems backwards, bigger jet causing a lean condition. But the dyno would seem to back the work. Anyone who knows more about carbs care to explain?

Seems from your quote, the bigger needle essentially "clogs" the 180 jet. So their kit is a smaller needle and smaller jet.

2008 KTM 690 SMC
2006 749 Dark- Sold
2003 M630ie Dark - Sold
2003 CRF175F
1999 Minsk 125 2T - Bought in Hanoi sold in Bangkok
1994 Ninja EX250 - Sold- AFM #692 - Retired
1996 Honda CR125R - Sold
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »

Eh? Please expound. I'm only versed in the basics of carbs. This seems to have gone past my basics

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »

In this case the jet is a screw with a sized hole through which gasoline passes. The needle is attached to a slide that moves up & down and the needle passes through the hole in the jet. Needles are usually tapered so that as they move up and down with the throttle opening they allow more or less gas.

Even with the larger jet size ( larger hole ) because the needle is fatter it reduces the effective size of the hole in the jet. If the needle were just a tad thinner they they might have had good results with the 180 jet but it sounds like it was too rich. Running the 160 brought them into the good result. Think about this... they most likely also tried a 170 size jet before they settled on the 160.

Follow?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »

Ok makes sense that it's a relation between the jet and needle. I didn't really get that the two were sperate bits at the end of the day and changing the size relation was what was being worked out here.

So even with a smaller jet, the needle was sufficiently smaller in proportion to allow for more fuel and in better proportions that in they had used a smaller needle on the 180, in this case. - That it?

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »

I would also recommend the KTM rad guards and the fan kit (especially if you're going to be in stop and go traffic)

Oh it appears to have a fan kit already installed  waytogo
- Someone also makes an oil cooler kit as well. Besides lower temps (possible NOT bonus) it does almost double the engine oil capacity.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »

Thats the cleanest dirtbike I've ever seen  waytogo

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

Now it seems there's a horse race developing. There's an 09 690 SMC in the mix and an 07 525 EXC. The SMC is bone stock and a bit less than the others, but would need to be shipped.

The 525 is $5500 and here's the deets

'So the bike, it is a very low hour 2007 525 with the complete dirt setup and the supermoto setup, I have both fenders, the KTM briefcase and documentation, the KTM SM catchcan, all the fuel vapor setup (this has been removed), I have it all.

Starting at the front of the bike I put the Cycra Pro Bend handguards and shields on, I installed a Scotts setup on the bike to include a new top clamp and post. I have the stock tank and then a IMS tank (have to check on the exact size) that can be used for extended mileage. Only thing about this tank is there is a bolt frozen in the tank, it is one of the bolts used to secure the shroud, not a big deal but it pisses me off. I am not sure how to fix this. I installed a Works Performance skid plate and have the stock one in a box. I installed a Hammerhead shifter, also I bought a Enduro Engineering comfort seat and installed it, of course I have the original seat. I also have a reservation with Recazno (coming up quick) for them to build me one of their seats. I just put new Bridgestone Battlax BT-003 racing street tires on the SM setup, they have less then 150 miles on them, these are super sticky tires that I am loving. Running the 150 on the rear causes the chain to touch the side edge of the rear tire, this is not a big deal once the chain makes it path into the edge just something I wanted to mention. There is a FMF exhaust system on the bike that is wonderful, I also installed the heat shield that you can see in the picture to prevent damage to your gear."

Hrm... The 525 and 530 are same priceand have a lot of similar farkles, but the 525 hasn't seen as much use and has two sets of wheels. But theres's the SMC... gah.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »

My vote is for the 525/530 with the bias toward the 530.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

SMC 690

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »

Ok makes sense that it's a relation between the jet and needle. I didn't really get that the two were sperate bits at the end of the day and changing the size relation was what was being worked out here.

So even with a smaller jet, the needle was sufficiently smaller in proportion to allow for more fuel and in better proportions that in they had used a smaller needle on the 180, in this case. - That it?

That's it.

I vote for the 525/530.   The 690 would have better torque but all the goodies on the smaller bike sound too good.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »

I'd go for the SMC. As stated earlier, the lc4 motor has much friendlier service intervals.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »

That's it.

I vote for the 525/530.   The 690 would have better torque but all the goodies on the smaller bike sound too good.

Cool. That makes complete sense. I was just listening to the video while doing other work, that combined with my thought that needle and jet were just two words for the same item for some reason left me going 'What the huh?'

Two votes for the EXCs vs one for the SMC. The EXCs timing is a little more flexible, the SMC is on ebay. I'm thinking of bidding on the SMC for a wit ha conservative bid and if it gets beat there's always the EXCs... Though I am liking the notion of getting the 530 and giving Pepe a hard time on those dirt roads he's been exploring.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: