Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 02:42:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466762 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #780 on: June 10, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »

it helps to have long legs

Long legs I've got. I can flat foot anything.

Maybe I just don't have it figured out yet.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #781 on: June 10, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »

Que the hell?

that was a pic from a trackday at streets of willow on the rmz450

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:44 AM »

Got some video from behind. Looks like if I adjust my foot position to more of what BP has going on, and get myself a bit lower/more hung off I should be able to touch knee - given enough huevos to need that much lean. With my over 200 pounds in gear, getting a good body position sure stands that bike up. Towards the end of the weekend I was clipping the inside of my chin bar on the end of the bar - but still plenty of room for improvement. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #783 on: June 11, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »

Got the go ahead for next spring on an orange single with 17 inch wheels and a set for the dirt.
We talked and decided that taking the Multi on the really dirty stuff was not financially wise when we started breaking down prices for parts.

So next spring I will be in the market for a big thumper.
Sucks because a buddy has a 690 for sale right now.

Evil

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #784 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »

We talked and decided that taking the Multi on the really dirty stuff was not financially wise when we started breaking down prices for parts.

Yeah, the few times the stupidmoto has had a nap have cost me $30, an aaaahhh sheet, and one WHOA! make the beast with two backs! And that's it. Amd shenanigans on a Multi would be hudreds of ducets to fix up.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #785 on: June 11, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »

Got the go ahead for next spring on an orange single with 17 inch wheels and a set for the dirt.

So next spring I will be in the market for a big thumper.
Sucks because a buddy has a 690 for sale right now.

Evil

IMO the 690 is a great compromise between the handling of a "true" supermoto and the power of the big bikes like my 950.

Do it.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #786 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »

It's big for the woods, but well smaller than the multi. You can have a proper skid plate bottom on it and with the big hoops your pick of everything from good commute tires to hard core knobblies. It's LIGHT - with battery and oil they rate it at 305 pounds making it much easier to manage and muscle in the tight crap. Also, it has miles of suspension travel.

The suspension will need some tweaking though. The forks seals from the factory are rubbish and have a lot of stiction. I pulled mine apart, polished the sliders and replaced the seals with SKF seals I got from Slavins Racing. Before the that work - the lower would not extend from the upper under the force of gravity alone (I'd pulled the spring out). After, slides nice and free.

Speaking of suspension - don't bother with the recommended settings in the owners manual if you get one. Again, crap. They recommend 10 clicks out on rebound and compression for 'sport'  - I'm running nearly 20 clicks out on compression in the forks, for track duty. Manual settings will make it feel like a plank.

There are a few thigns that need attending to - like fuel filter change VERY early and a couple other random items. None of them cost much if anything - but there's some points to read up on.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #787 on: June 12, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »

Got another video processed

- skip to 17:43 for some offroad action. But the Sumobadger don't care.

This one, Mr. Yellow bike is trying for it passes in the biggest stright, but can't make it stick and gets dropped like a bad habit once he doesn't have someone to tow him.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:54:07 AM by Slide Panda » Logged

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #788 on: June 12, 2013, 02:42:58 PM »

IMO the 690 is a great compromise between the handling of a "true" supermoto and the power of the big bikes like my 950.

Do it.
yeah, the 690 is stronger than my 625 and you never needed to wait for me to catch up  Evil

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #789 on: June 12, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »

yeah, the 690 is stronger than my 625 and you never needed to wait for me to catch up  Evil

Yep. Your 625 had the handling of my 450 and more torque.

It's also the worlds largest, most expensive gas powered vibrator. If you mounted a cleaner tank on the back you could use it to clean parts ultrasonically.

Not even ultra. Just sonically laughingdp

That thing blurred my vision at times. Did they fix that on the 690?

Blue
Oh no, not another

2000 M900ie Dark

« Reply #790 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

I have been thinking about getting a KTM for a dual sport for a while now and I was wondering if there is a guide or cheat sheet to the KTM models available?  I found a 2004 KTM 625 XC local that seemed like a good deal, but I don't know anything about KTMs.  I have been looking at older models that would be good in the dirt but still street legal for an ADV trip or two.  Thanks for the help.   waytogo
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »

Yep. Still get some vibes of course. But nothing that dramatic.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #792 on: June 13, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »

Yep. Your 625 had the handling of my 450 and more torque.

It's also the worlds largest, most expensive gas powered vibrator. If you mounted a cleaner tank on the back you could use it to clean parts ultrasonically.

Not even ultra. Just sonically laughingdp

The earlier LC4s make a man out of you!  cheeky

Just think, I rode all the way across PA and back to hang, shaking like that.  laughingdp
I like that sitting in my driveway idling, it shakes enough to move slowly until the back wheel stops against something.
Offroad, I'm spending so much time trying not to fall down that the vibes are no longer noticed.
Also, the bike gets into a nice bit of headshake between 85-95. I move up and sit on the tank which seems to help. Clears totally up at 95 and up which is such a silly speed to be doing on a dirtbike. GPS verified top speed of 114  Evil

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #793 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

Almost lost the shifter off my 450 yesterday. The mounting bolt seems to have vibrated loose, but it didn't fall out.

It let the shifter move left right which let it jam under the stator cover upon upshift attempts. Down shifting was fine but I had to make each upshift by reaching down and grabbing the shift lever. Glad I'm used to clutchless up and down shifts and glad I got long arms.

ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #794 on: June 20, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

Looks like the wife made up my mind for me...

Conversation went something like this:

Her: The 625/650/690 are all just upgrades of the previous motor right?
Me: Ayup.
Her: You should just do a 690 then.
Me: I would but the 690 Enduro R is about 4k more than the other bikes I am looking at new. That's why I was looking at used.
Her: No...no used. You know how I feel about warranties.
Me: uh...ok...
Her: You should talk to Doug (Local Duc and KTM dealer) about having one ready for you next spring.
Me: You're serious aren't you?
Her: Yeah...and we should get the exhaust and wheels you want at the same time so we can roll it all together instead of dealing with the stuff we are now on the Multi's exhaust.
Me: The Excel wheels are going to be about ~$1200...
Her: Well you want to do track days with it too right?

Pretty sure that I hit the jackpot of the wife lottery.
She has given me the OK to buy a brand new 690 Enduro R next spring...and a set of 17" Excel rims for some SM action...and wants me to put the shiny new investment on the track...
I am SO glad I convinced her to try out riding on her own. She is now all kinds of bike crazy!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:45:33 AM by ZILBERT » Logged

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: