Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 12:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466631 times)
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #1335 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »

So he actually has bearing failures, or he's following some prescribed replacement schedule?

Do the other guys he rides with on KTM/non-KTM have the same issue?

He's having bearing failures from what he tells me and on both of the KTM's that he owns. I'll find out which models. He says the other guys with KTM's have the same issue but the Honda's & Suzuki's are fine. This guy is an experienced rider and when younger was sponsored by KTM although not on a paid, factory team.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1336 on: August 01, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

This is happening on the 300XC and he says it happens to all the guys he rides with that have that bike. Supposed to be a big torque engine that just over powers the rear. He says that when he was racing the smaller bikes, a 125 and a two something, that there were never any issues like that.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #1337 on: August 01, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

300cc 2-smoker?   Evil

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1338 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »

Odd.
Perhaps it's got some peculiar geometry that funnels grit to the seals.
Or perhaps the wheel or spacer puts too much/not enough preload on the bearings.

In a past life I did a good bit of design work on gearbox/driveline stuff.
By the time you get a shaft big enough to carry the power, even the lightest-section bearing was usually up to the job.
A typical wheel bearing has a load rating of ~2000 lbs, and you've got two.
And bearing load ratings are *really* conservative.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1339 on: August 01, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »

300cc 2-smoker?   Evil

Yepper.

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1340 on: August 01, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »

Odd.
Perhaps it's got some peculiar geometry that funnels grit to the seals.
Or perhaps the wheel or spacer puts too much/not enough preload on the bearings.

In a past life I did a good bit of design work on gearbox/driveline stuff.
By the time you get a shaft big enough to carry the power, even the lightest-section bearing was usually up to the job.
A typical wheel bearing has a load rating of ~2000 lbs, and you've got two.
And bearing load ratings are *really* conservative.

I keep telling him it's because he's installing them wrong.   laughingdp laughingdp

He says it's because they ride the ever lovin' piss out of those things!   Dolph

1KDS

« Reply #1341 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »

I think we need a little more orange talk in here. 

Just doing a simple oil change last weekend, I had a weird angle with the socket on one of the oil filter cover screws and thought that was why the screw wasn't turning in very smoothly...

I was wrong.

I was worried about snapping an easy out off in the bolt as I have done in the past so I got some left hand drill bits, center punched the broken bolt and started drilling.  I was hoping that the bit would encounter some resistance and start turning the bolt out, no such luck, drilled all the way through it.  I didn't have any choice now, I drilled it with a 3/32" bit and got out the easy out.  Using the clutch on the lowest setting then slowly applying more and more torque with the clutch settings it finally came out.

I was so happy it came out, I wasn't sure what I was going to do next.  I tapped the threaded hole in the block and put it back together with new M5 screws.  Everything has somehow been much more difficult with this bike than any other bike I've had but I love the bike and am still having a blast with it.

Every bike I've ever owned.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #1342 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »

Nice job!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1343 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »

It's great that you love it because sometimes some bikes/cars are just that way.

rosstermyer

M1100S

« Reply #1344 on: August 27, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

my street legal 540sx.  Evil Evil
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1345 on: August 27, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »

Awwe yeah!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1346 on: August 28, 2014, 06:34:11 AM »

Evil

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1347 on: September 04, 2014, 03:45:34 AM »

Finally spotted in the wild, an 1190 ADV in downtown DC. Aside from the display ones at a show, first time I've seen one

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #1348 on: September 04, 2014, 04:28:06 AM »

Just signed up for supermoto school at New York Safety Track.   Only 12 spots available, taught by an AMA SM champ I haven't heard of, Corey Alexander..  Should be fun.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1349 on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:50 AM »

Woot!  Videos are demanded!

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: