Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 29, 2024, 06:17:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you replace just the speedometer or do you have to buy a cpu and ignition?  (Read 1694 times)
driza

« on: June 21, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »

I've heard that the speedometer, ignition, and CPU are not interchangeable on a monster.  Any truth to that?  Thing is I cracked mine and it probably should be replaced, was just wondering if I had to get all three or if I could just get the speedo.
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »

Define further what cracked:  black plastic outer housing itself, clear lens part or internal speedo gauge/board  part. 

driza

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:16:20 PM »

outer housing.  It sill works and lights up.
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »

I've heard that the speedometer, ignition, and CPU are not interchangeable on a monster.  Any truth to that?

In the older (pre '02 or so) bikes, there's no drama at all, but since you say "CPU" presumably you're not talking about a carbed bike.

As I understand it, on the newer immobiliser equipped bikes, you can replace any of those parts with new ones so long as you have the red key that's "married" to the other two components. I'm not sure what the status of replacing the speedo with a 2nd hand one that'd been "married" to a different red key/ecu. Anyone know?

There are some "in between" fuel injected bikes (some '00 900s and '01 900s and some 750s) that don't have the immobiliser, so the parts swap on them is also easy just like the carbed ones.

big
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 08:16:16 PM by bigiain » Logged

brad black

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:33:06 AM »

you can replace the ecu or dash with new "virgin" parts.  with regard to the dash only, if you don't do a key coding procedure when the new dash is installed (ie, you don't have a red key to code all your keys to the new part) it will (should) try to initiate a key coding procedure every time you turn the key on.  as in, it'll start the countdown.  if you don't follow the procedure, after a few seconds the countdown will time out and it should work like normal, except that the immobilisor won't work.

if it's just the housing that's damaged then you can pull them apart and replace most of the outer bits / swap the inner bits into new outer bits, etc.  you just need to find someone selling one who knows that the dash itself is useless without the ecu and keys, not like half the ebay morons or theives.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: