Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 02:35:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are all boots equal?  (Read 4902 times)
Jared

« on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

I have all the required riding gear for my new 696 with the exception of perhaps the most important item.  Boots.   I have been wearing a pair of old work boots.  They do not fit well, and it is a bit challenge to shift gears.  I just do not like the black riding boots I see in most Motorcycle dealerships or places like Cycle Gear.  I also wear an extra wide shoe or sneaker, like a a New Balance 4E.  I will probably settle on a pair of hiking boots from someplace like REI or perhaps a pair or leatherTimberland Earthkeepers.  Does anyone think such a substitute will not suffice?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »

Anything is better than nothing (like sneakers), but that kind of boots won't do much to prevent crushing or twisting.

The race boots that does all the right things are expensive and uncomfortable to walk in.

Most riders find something in between.

You will have a problem finding riding boots in wide sizes, but I'm sure they exist.

Don't give up - it's worth it to protect your feet - you'll need them!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
sofadriver

An analog man in a digital world

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »

Mike in Tacoma
'08 S2r 1000 - Red on Red
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (gone but not forgotten)

IBA 38181
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »

Other things to consider here - moto boots, as a general rule, don't have laces. Ok you think... Well happens happens to you if you boot laces have come untied, you don't notice... they flail about in the wind right by a chain/sprocket turning really fast. Yeah. not good.

The boot in the video is a race type, and there's a lot of styles in-between that offer less protection than that, but more than a hiker. Crush protection is something you'll get on a moto boot, but not a hiker. Even my least protective moto boots still have hard overlays to cover the ankle bones and a shin plate to protect, well, the shin.

Also, ergonomics. Mosters aren't the most race ready body position bikes, but for most folks your knee will be infront of your toes creating a flex in your ankle and foot. Look at that video and you'll see that the moto boot is cut to accomodate that flexed position as it's base. While the hiker is cut for a 90'ish degree relation between your leg and footbed.

So hikers are better than tennies - but I'd encourage you to keep on the hunt. Call up some places and they might have some insights or the ability to special order a wider size.

Good luck on the hunt

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
RVA Duc

2000 M900 Sie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »

I used to wear sneakers for about a year after i started riding. Then I got some Sidi Strada Evo Air Boots. I will never go back. I belive you should ride in gear all year round atleast Helmet , Gloves, Jacket and Boots. What else is there between you and the road. Invest in good gear and it will not let you down.   chug
d3vi@nt

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »

Then I got some Sidi Strada Evo Air Boots. I will never go back.
Don't mean to thread-jack, but I'm curious how those boots are for walking and all day comfort?

@Jared: Sidi makes a number of their boots in wider sizes, dubbed 'Mega'.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
RVA Duc

2000 M900 Sie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »

Don't mean to thread-jack, but I'm curious how those boots are for walking and all day comfort?

After i broke them in they are not bad to wear all day not as bad to walk in as a full on race boot. I've never really had a problem with them hurting my feet.  waytogo
Jared

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

Great advice.  I apprecaite it.  I tried on some Alpine Star boots.  I did not like them.  I really did not think they would have provided much more protection than work boots.  I checked out hte SIDI website.  The Doha looks okay, but I would probably be forced to buy them from some website.

You know, ski boots protect the ankle from breaking, but not the leg. 
DoWorkSon

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »

I rode in tennis shoes or work boots for awhile... Finally decided to spend the money on some low riding boots from alpinestars and I later got a pair of waterproof boots....

Much more comfortable, much more secure feeling, and you can tell they are made for riding... A broken ankle is just as bad(if not worse) as a broken arm... But im sure you have a good jacket... so might as well spend your money and be a little safer

2003 BMW R1150GS- The commuter
2009 M696--SOLD
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

You know, ski boots protect the ankle from breaking, but not the leg. 

How much does your shin move around itself while you walk?

What about your ankle?

There are a lot of little tiny bones in there. Being able to walk without pain means they have to be in the right place and surrounded by all the right tendons and ligaments.

Everything else being equal, you will have a much easier time recovering from a broken leg than a crushed ankle.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »

Yeah I'd rather a busted tibia than break something in my ankle. A car decided to park on my foot/ankle about 10 years ago - nothing broke but it made a huge mess of my ankle. Took surgery PT and a lot of hurt to get mostly back. But it's never been as good.

Unless you pull a spiral compound fracture of a long bone, you're better off breaking one than a wrist or ankle bone

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ab
ab

ab

ab
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »

To reiterate, boots boots boots.  when i low-sided couple of years ago, my one foot was stuck under the rear set  on my Triumph.  i had full boot (alpines) and that helped a lot to cushion it.  my other foot the right side was scraped (top layer gone showing the inner hard shell).  i don't want to imagine what it would have been like if i were wearing a sneaker like some.  I now have a sidi vortices for spirited rides and am looking for a full boot bit less than the sidi vortices for everyday to work boot.

I cringe when i see a co-worker ride in with her sneakers.  She calls me cheap but i tell her she can't even spend some $ on boots.

gear gear gear - can never have enough....

oh yeah, i always wear forcefield knee armor  -- don't forget those too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:09:42 PM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

To me, protecting all your joints is the most important part of your gear.  Joint damage is way worse than some kind of break along a long bone... a lot more things can go wrong.  And it's one of those things that will keep on coming back to you as you get older.

Get moto boots, once you do you wont know how you rode with work boots.  There are a lot of options out there that are priced the same as a good set of work boots and look normal too.  If you want something a bit more fashionable, try out the puma line, but avoid the lower cut ones... I have them and they are comfy, but after riding with full length boots you just feel unsafe with the low cut boots on.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
CrashVR

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »

I'm waiting on a pair of Daines TRQ race out air's.  Several people at Revzilla swear by them for a street/race boot. They don't have the inner laces of the Tourque pro, and they have plastic instead of titanium sliders, but they appear to be easier on and off, more comfortable, and less flashy. I had ordered a pair of Dyno Naked riding shoes, but changed the order after remembering my Dads shattered tibea as a young child.  I'm hoping they are comfortable enough for he street without compromising safety. I'll report back after I get them.
$Lindz$

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

If they're "Outs" they will (obviously) be designed to go outside pants/leathers. For everyday boots, get some "Ins". I actually have 2 pairs of Axial Pro Ins. One for the hustle, and one for riding on the street/commute. They fit easily under skinny jeans and since I took the Ti toe slider off, they look like I'm just wearing (kinda weird) black shoes.

Super comfortable, AWESOME protection, and (imo) awesome style. They've saved my ankle twice now, from lowsiding while pushing hard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: