Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 05:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZERO Electric Bikes  (Read 1807 times)
Mhanis

« on: February 24, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »

If anyone is interested the Plano dealership has a couple of the ZERO electric bikes on hand. There is one "street" bike and one that appears to be a "dual purpose" bike.

The guys up there have ridden them and raved about how cool they are.

I don't think they will steal any thunder from the 1199 when it shows up but they are pretty cool non the less.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
CajunR

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »

Nice!   I've been reading up on these.  I'd love to have an electric dirt bike...  Evil

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »

Hmmm.  Might have cruise over there at some point and check one out.  Not sure I would ever buy one but the few articles I've read about electric motos do make them sound interesting.  Any idea on cost?
CajunR

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

$11,500 for the 6kWh versions or $14k for the 9kWh versions.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php

Frisco

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »

boo Let me get this straight - I could ride basically the same distance as I can with one tank of gas on my Monster but have to wait 2 hours to charge it to ride back instead of filling up in 5 minutes and turning around to come home?
Makes no sense to me - a trip to Austin would take you 12 hours to get there - OK maybe 11 hours going faster than 60 mph

2007 S4RS
muskrat

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

a moto should sound like a moto.  no way I need another blender in the kitchen.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »

boo Let me get this straight - I could ride basically the same distance as I can with one tank of gas on my Monster but have to wait 2 hours to charge it to ride back instead of filling up in 5 minutes and turning around to come home?
Makes no sense to me - a trip to Austin would take you 12 hours to get there - OK maybe 11 hours going faster than 60 mph

Reminds me of the early "desk top", four function calculators.  Big, clumsy, and ridiculously expensive.

Technology is not quite there yet for this electric moto but it is a an interesting start.

Mhanis

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »

I think you misunderstand its intended purpose (at least at this point). I don't think anybody expects any electric vehicle to be used for touring, at least not yet and for the exact reasons you stated. However as a daily commuter I think it would be great, though currently too expensive.

They charge via a 110 outlet; no need for a 220 outlet being installed by an electrician. There is virtually NO MAINTENENCE needed on these things. It is air cooled (no radiator, water pump, etc) no valves to adjust, no oil to change. Simply keep up with tires and brakes. The motor is supposed to last 300,000 miles. It seems to me it could be VERY economical if used as a commuter.

The great unknown with these (just like the cars) is battery life and cost if/when it fails.

I will NEVER be without a gas powered motorcycle but I could see myself owning one of these at some point.

Pete Townshend

muskrat

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

problem is that most of our electricity is from coal and has about a 70% loss of effectiveness from the plant to your outlet.  Me, NEVER will own one.  I'm still waiting on hydrogen.

I seriously doubt that thing will last 300k, shit even Duracell can't keep up with the smoke alarms.  Evil

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Mhanis

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »

The motor is supposed to last 300,000 not the battery. I already stipulated that the battery is the unknown both in terms of longevity and cost to replace.

I am just excited to see new technology actually hitting the showroom floor (even if it isn't perfected yet).

Pete Townshend

muskrat

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

here's Mhanis performing mods on his next new electric toy.  laughingdp

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
CajunR

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

I am just excited to see new technology actually hitting the showroom floor (even if it isn't perfected yet).

+1  They'll be a viable option eventually.  And I agree... as a commuter, this would be great if they weren't so expensive.  I'm seriously watching these for off-road options, though.  I think a silent dirt bike would be great.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that (by the time my kids are old enough for dirt bikes) the tech will have advanced so that back-up battery packs, miles per charge, power, cost, ruggedness, etc, etc will have improved.   waytogo

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: