Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 11:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work (Corporate) appropriate gear  (Read 4941 times)
sxt173

Lemur. Weird. yeah...

« on: March 29, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

I have been searching everywhere, but I can't seem to find a solution:  I work in a large corporate setting in Finance.  I usually wear suit pants, dress shirt and a tie.  Sometimes a full suit.  I manage with wearing a Rev'it summer jacket or perforated leather jacket on top.  Not the best solution due to wrinkling, but manageable.  My BIG problem is boots and pants (mainly boots).

For pants, I'm thinking of getting 1-2 size larger Rev'it Airwave Pants to wear over my suit pants.  Any thoughts?  I would love to wear jeans, or better yet leathers, but it would be "frowned upon" when I walk into a meeting and the CFO has a tailored Hermes suit on and my pants have big lettering saying Alpinestars!!!...  Undecided

Boots, I have no idea.  Any real or safe motorcycle boot I find look like:
A) I just stepped off the set of Tron.
B) I should also be wearing chains around my chest, have a long beard and be chewing on an unlit cigar.

So, nothing I've found has a tip/bottom section visible under dress pants that looks like they are fine Italian business shoes.  I don't care if the top portion is a bit bikey (yes, new word I invented) since it can't be seen.  Also, I know I can just bring a change of shoes, but I really want to be able to step off the bike and with minimal prep walk into a meeting.

I'm half thinking of creating a new label that sells "fine" dress clothes that have all the safety stuff built in.  I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever had this need to look business professional and stay safe.

Ideas.  Please.  Free beer to the best idea submission  drink

-----------------------
2007 Ducati Monster 695
Red on Black (or is it Black on Red???)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »

Change your clothes? Do you have a place, your own office, where you can hang a suit or two shoes and a tie or two. That would prevent wrinkles, dirt and exhaust smells.

There's plenty of 'over' style stuff and it's a common practice. I'm sure if you sized up those pants to account for the bulk of your work pants it would be suitable.

If you're really working in a Hermes suit and Tie sort of, really two sets of clothes seems the best option to me. Next would be to pack a change...

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
live2ride

monster 750 dark

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:03 AM »

for pants, i would go with the rev'it axis. it has a full zip on the side so you can remove it easier.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-axis-pants

actually, i realized you probably don't ride in the rain since all your gear is perforated/vented.  fyi, the axis pants are waterproof and not vented.  i would still try and find vented pants with a full zip.  it just makes it so much easier.  

i would leave shoes at your desk and change them in the office.  

also, if they are "fine" dress clothes, you would always be able to see the padding.  i have knee pads i wear under my kevlar jeans.  but if i wear my dress pants, they look funny.  

and these are the only "dressy" pants i know of. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mn-fire-hose-chinos-20202.aspx
but i would wear some knee pads under them
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:18:45 AM by live2ride » Logged
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »

Best option if you have somewhere to get in and out of your gear is a oversuit like the rev'it infinity or a aerostitch and a change of shoes at work.  Best in terms of protection and convenience.

If that's not going to work, then overpants are your best bet with slacks or suits pants under them.  The rev'it ones listed before are a solid option and there are others that work too.

In terms of shoes that can pass muster in a office setting, look at the A*'s and Dainese options, here are some examples:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-ssc-bravo-d-wp-shoe

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-ssc-charlie-shoe

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-monaco-shoes

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-articolo-80-sportivo-boots

While not full out dress shoes, they are doable for basic office use.  Keep in mind that these wont be as protective as a full boot, but I would say that most people would not notice them being too far out of place in a office setting.

Also, if you're looking for a jacket that can work while off the bike, you can also look at the A*'s nero line.  It's a line with a bit more fashion attached to it, those sportivo boots are from that collection.

http://www.alpinestarsnero.com/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:45:25 AM by thought » Logged

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »

Search for overpants. You'll be able to find a ton of them. I used to carry my dress shoes in my backpack. You might also consider keeping a pair in the office.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

I don't think what you're searching for exists.  You either have to deal with being less coifed (and more wrinkley) or be willing to change when you reach your destination.  I assume it's ok to arrive at work wearing whatever as long as you're dressed appropriately once you sit down to get to work.  If not, punch your boss in sack. 

If you only have to wear suit at work (and don't have to travel extensively for meetings), then just wear whathever and change at work.  I keep shirts, suits, shoes and ties at the office (or I bring them to work in a messenger bag).  I ride in either a full leather suit or overpants and jacket (either leather or aerostich) and always wear moto boots.   

If you have to go to meetings from work and still wear a suit, it's going to involve compromises.  Folks say they can wear a suit under an Aerostich, but I've never even remotely found that to work.  My clothes get way to wrinkled and I'm too sweaty when I arrive.  I look so disheveled that I might as well not wear a suit at all.

If I'm riding, but have to wear at suit at my destination (not at my office), I pack my suit.  I wear my suit pants underneath my overpants (Aerostich).  Shirt, tie, coat, and shoes go in a giant messenger bag (or a tail bag works).  They wrinkle much less than you'd think.  It takes only a couple of minutes to do a Superman once I arrive, and it's often surprising how put-together one can look. 

As far as having a place to change, as long as there's a bathroom, there's a place to change. 

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
sxt173

Lemur. Weird. yeah...

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »

Based on all the comments, I think I will definitely go the route of overpants, either the Rev'it Airwave since I'm mainly concerned with protection & staying cool.  I don't ride much when it's raining.  The video review on revzilla mentions that they do have zippers on the inside of the leg, so it might work as an overpant.  If not, it'll be actual overpants from rev'it.

Guess there is no option for shoes/boots really, the A*'s & Dainese ones look too sneaker like.  I'll have to wear boots on bike and change at work I guess.

Btw, thanks for the link to http://www.alpinestarsnero.com/ @thought.  Wow, I never knew they had a high-end brand.  Some cool stuff that might actually work / not turn heads.

Thanks guys (and girls), I appreciate the input.  waytogo

-----------------------
2007 Ducati Monster 695
WarrenJ

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »

http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/index.php

These might be an option.  They don't have the protection of a Power Ranger style, but are still decent riding boots that look like they would be ok with dress pants.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
elyse

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

I'm half thinking of creating a new label that sells "fine" dress clothes that have all the safety stuff built in.  I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever had this need to look business professional and stay safe.

nope, you aren't the first Smiley ... saw these guys on shark tank. they don't have a huge selection yet, but cool concept...
http://www.gogogearla.com/pages/GoGo-Gear-Story.html

says elyse Smiley

pure. adrenaline. *snort* heh heh weeeeee!
sxt173

Lemur. Weird. yeah...

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »

I love Shark Tank!  So addictive.  Those are actually really nice items.  I'll check them out.

-----------------------
2007 Ducati Monster 695
Duchess

The Duke and Duchess of Esforar

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »

LOL - you have it easy - I work in a dress w' jacket or a skirt suit ... change of clothes / shoes is the only way for me.

My bigger problem is helmet head ... I haven't figured out how to get my hair to look good after being crammed into a helmet for 30 minutes in the morning ...

Duchess

04 S4R; 02 911 C4; '10 Jetta TDI
S&W M&P 45c; S&W M&P 9c; Kahr CM9; Beretta Tomcat 32
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

Ask FLO from Progressive... According to the commercials, she has it figured out.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Duchess

The Duke and Duchess of Esforar

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »

Hate those commercials. Thankful for TiVo ...

04 S4R; 02 911 C4; '10 Jetta TDI
S&W M&P 45c; S&W M&P 9c; Kahr CM9; Beretta Tomcat 32
Goat_Herder

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »

I, too, work in a corporate finance team.  Although the dress code is pretty relaxed here, I do sometimes dress up a bit.  Button down shirt and slacks.

I typically wear overpants and jacket to work.  Take my jacket off at my desk and go to the bathroom to change out of the overpants and fix my hair.  For shoes, it's an easy fix - just keep an extra pair of shoes at work.  Or I carry a different match pair of shoes in my tailbag. 

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
sxt173

Lemur. Weird. yeah...

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 05:51:07 AM »

Yeah, that's the route I ended up going down.  Just got an:

- ICON Accelerant Perforated Leather jacket in white http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-accelerant-perforated-leather-jacket, mainly because it's the coolest (as in temperature) full leather jacket I could find and it's really nice.  The removable lining is actually really really warm, so it can be worn into the cold months.  It fits nicely over dress shirts and I now keep a 'generic' sports jacket at work so I can throw it on as needed.

- Klim T5 back protector http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-viper-d30-back-pad.  It's perforated (I did have to cut the holes out a bit because their injection molding process must have left slight boogers).  It fits nicely into the ICON jacket and you definitely feel the airflow on your back.  And it's very soft, but hardens when you hit it with your hand.

- I tried on a bunch of pants and overpants.  I was about to go with the Rev'It tornado pants at a larger size as overpants, but they actually did not fit well and are a bit long, like really long.  So, I ended up going with the Olympia Airglide 3 Pants http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-airglide-3-over-pants.  Really nice overall.  They fit nicely, easy to get  on and off.  Lots of airflow and optional waterproof liner.  I'm basically wearing these and taking them off as soon as I get off the bike and leaving them on the back of the bike.  That way, I walk into work looking like half robocop vs 100% robocop  Grin

- I'm keeping one brown, one black pair of dress shoes at work now so that I'm set whatever dress pants I happen to be wearing

-----------------------
2007 Ducati Monster 695
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: