Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF...it locked up!  (Read 2459 times)
DG

« on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:44 PM »

Last Fri coming home from work on my FE I had a near FU! Turning a hard right into the neighborhood my rear brake locked up. I painted a stripe for about 10 feet and bounced both tires off the curb. I kept it up but the bike would not roll fwd or backwd. Gave it a few minutes of visual inspection and found nothing but a hard foot lever. I hardly ever use the rear brake so why it locked was a mystery. Called Fran to bring me a rag and a wrench to bleed off pressure and then tried dragging it into the shade. It began to roll fwd but was locked tight when I tried to back it up. It took Fran a really long time to show up and by the time she got there the bike was rolling fine. I rode it the rest of the way home and started tearing it apart. The only thing I noticed was a deep, blue groove and all the black paint had burned off. Pads, calipers, cylinder, all OK? Then I pulled the disc and layed it across a sheet of glass and WHOA...the disc is dished, not warped but dished, almost an eighth of an inch! Sooo, anybody have a disc out there? Something to get me going until a new part is acquired?  DG

"I'm really busy with something not important."
Dietrich

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:12:55 PM »

Weird...I know if things aren't moving properly that the brakes can pump up, especially in the heat, and start draggin, causing more heat, and eventually get to the point that they lock.  Check that the master and caliper pistons move freely, and also check that the pedal linkage has some play in it when at rest. 

I have seen some rear rotors on ebaY lately for many different Ducati models/years.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:36:49 PM by Dietrich » Logged

NAKID

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:34 AM »

Wow man. I have no idea. Glad you kept it up!

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
monsterduc

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »

That happened to two riders on the same ride last year in Tucson.  I think one of the riders was on an S4R and the other was on an M800.  Weird.   Huh?
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:13 AM »

That sux!

Glad you kept it upright!

Good to see you on here!  waytogo

Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »

This is an old thread, but almost the same thing happened to me this afternoon.  The bike had been parked in full sun, under a fabric cover, all day.  It hit about 92°F this afternoon.  When I left work, the speedo wasn't registering the speed appropriate to the rpm.  I thought the electronics must be affected by the heat.  When I reached a traffic light, I noticed the rear brake pedal had no movement, and the bike wouldn't roll.  I muscled it through the intersection, then let it cool about 5 minutes.  The rotor freed up, but the pedal still had almost no play.  An hour later, and the pedal has about 3/4 of its normal play.

Brake fluid isn't supposed to expand when it's hot, so this logically means air in the system.  But the pedal is very firm, and I bled it about 3 months ago.

All thoughts welcome...

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:26:17 PM »

Sorry, I'm retarded. bang head  Didn't see that this post was a local club.  Will derby in DMF Tech.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: