Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:32:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on replacing pistons  (Read 3751 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

I stuff a bit of rag in the case around the rods when putting in the pin clip, incase it drops inside engine.

a good idea whether in the chassis or not.  waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »

None of the Ducs have a knock sensor. but your 4 valve is water cooled, has a different combustion chamber design, etc.  My friend's BMW 1100RS pings on anything less than 91 with 10.7:1 compression, and will even ping on that if oil temp gets a little on the hot side.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »

None of the Ducs have a knock sensor. but your 4 valve is water cooled, has a different combustion chamber design, etc.  My friend's BMW 1100RS pings on anything less than 91 with 10.7:1 compression, and will even ping on that if oil temp gets a little on the hot side.
I understand that chamber design and water cooling affect things.

Chamber design has a much larger overall effect I think.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »

I don't think any Duc has a knock sensor...not even with the Siemans ecu.
What I was getting at was the motor was designed and set up with that compression, fueling and timing.  It's pretty standard the 900 motors with HC pistons need timing and fuel work to run right

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »

What I was getting at was the motor was designed and set up with that compression, fueling and timing.  It's pretty standard the 900 motors with HC pistons need timing and fuel work to run right
I'm not disagreeing.

He probably will need to do something...

He's not running a 900 though. He has a 750 so the parameters are somewhat different.

Just like with my water cooled 4 valve. Grin

perspective

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »

I'm not disagreeing.

He probably will need to do something...

He's not running a 900 though. He has a 750 so the parameters are somewhat different.

Just like with my water cooled 4 valve. Grin

Just like   Grin

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
bond0087

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »

Thanks for all of the thoughts... I'll be stuffing a rag in there for sure, because spending an hour trying to find a dropped pin clip would just be classic me  Smiley Thanks for the tip!

The info on what does/doesn't ping is appreciated, and I'll add another data point to the "will it ping" discussion when I get done... hopefully not when trying to figure out how to fix my ruined engine! I've got no problem switching to the highest octane I can get my hands on, though.  Premium and 45mpg still beats the hell out of my car at 20mpg on regular, so I'll still be happy with the cost.
brad black

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

my stuff on hc 750 and ignition

http://www.bikeboy.org/brads750m.html
http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati2vignition.html

same crap chamber as  a 900, just smaller bore.  should ping.  altho mine is surprisingly resistant to pinging, but it does have 900 cams.  it has ferracci pistons, allegedly 12:1.  never checked it.  i remember years ago a guy emailed me who had bcm fit high comps to his 750.  it pinged, so they told him to fit 900 cams.  not sure if he did or not.

i always replace base gaskets, but they're cheap and i have to guarantee the work.  i think i left my std ones in, squish was ok at that.  use threebond 1215 or equiv.

a 4v motor should see 12.5:1 without pinging, altho 996 like a bit less timing at that.  but a 996 has about 3 - 4 more degrees at wot than a 916 even, so it's a bit of a apples to oranges thing unless you know the actual eprom and ignition mapping.  and the advance is digital, not a single step thing.  that's why the 2v ping.  12:1 makes a 900 go nuts.

i'd fit an ignitech unit, easier than pullig the alt cover and moving then regapping the pick ups.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
bond0087

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »

Thanks for the response, Brad.  I actually read those two articles (and most of your other 2V related ones) already, they are very informative.  Your 750 article made me want high compression pistons, but maybe that was the wrong conclusion to draw from the article. 

I makes sense that the Ignitech system would probably be the better way to go, but I've got way more time than money right now (being a grad student and all), so I think I'll try rotating and regapping the pickups first.  Plus my left side engine cover leaks, so I'm hoping to clean up the mating surface, use some fresh sealant, and hope that I kill two birds with one stone there.  The single step ignition advance that they do with the 2V doesn't seem like the greatest idea in the world; I'm not surprised that it causes trouble. 

Do you know what engine speeds are most prone to detonation?  I noticed that your ignition timing in general is less advanced at higher engine speeds, is that because those higher speeds are more likely to detonate?  Or is the low engine speed right around where the timing jumps to full advance the real problem area?

bond0087

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 04:57:19 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that responded!  chug

I put my new pistons in this weekend, and it all went reasonably well.  The job wasn't without difficulties, but when it was all said and done, I pressed the starter button and it roared to life first try!

I did the job in the frame (thanks ducpainter), and I would say that is certainly the right way to go.  The frame hardly ever got in the way, and removing the engine would have been a pain. I definitely dropped the wrist pin retaining ring down the crank case onto the rags that monsta suggested, so thanks again for that, saved me a lot of trouble.

I went ahead and retarded the timing all the way and filled her up with 93 octane.  I didn't hear any pinging, but it's hard to say for sure, because I only rode it about a mile, and not under much load (I finished at 2am, and my bike is not exactly quiet). 

I'll post some more details and useful pictures / information for others thinking of doing this job once I get a few miles on it and I can get a better impression of the difference before/after. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: