Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it, and do I need it  (Read 2174 times)
Sherlock
Jesus Freak

« on: May 27, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »

Been looking at Suzyj's build thread and got to thinking about how I can get my bike looking cleaner. Hoping you guys can help me determine whether I really need all this tubing on my bike:
This tubing exits the air box as seen here on the bottom and terminates at the base of the crankcase. Do I need it?

These tubings exit from the top of the intake just above the cylinder head. There is one per cylinder and they are then connected together via a three way connector which is capped off.

My best guess is that these had something to do with the udder, which was not on my bike when I bought it. 2007 S2R800.
Any help would be much appreciated. I can't imagine that I need these, but you guys are the experts.

Oh yeah, there is also a tube coming out of the battery tray, I guess so the battery can relieve itself. Any reason to keep this?

2007 S2R800
sofadriver

An analog man in a digital world

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

airbox tube looks like a drain. don't recall one on my S2r.  Huh?

tubes from intakes were part of the emission controls. (obviously removed on your bike). some people cap them. some, like me, hook them together. pull one off and you'll see they are very restricted so it's doubtfull they affect performance either way. i can't help but think the idle improves since they would help to balance the intakes. 

don't remove the hose from the battery. it keeps battery acid drips off your frame

Mike in Tacoma
'08 S2r 1000 - Red on Red
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (gone but not forgotten)

IBA 38181
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »

Don't know about the first tube from the airbox.  Should be a drain in case you get water from rain/dew in your airbox. Very tempted to get rid of it myself.  I'm thinking if you only ride the bike when its not raining then you could get rid of the tube but I'm not certain.  

Perhaps this will help with the other tubes  

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_21&product_id=48
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:21:20 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Raux
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »

The tube on the airbox as a oneway valve at the end, it drains but closes when the airbox 'sucks'
if you remove the tube, move the valve up to the bottom of the box.

the tubes on the intakes can be removed, the nipples replaced with bolts. make sure to use a washer to seal them, you don't want air being sucked in there either.

the battery tube, yep, saves from battery acid, get a non liquid acid battery and you can drop that, otherwise keep it or suffer the consequences of a leaking battery.

you will also have 2 tubes from the gas cap, an overfill tube and a breather tube for gas (as in non-liquid) escape.
you can t them together and run just one, but I wouldn't get rid of it since you don't want gas spilling onto your motor.

you have a BIG tube going from your breather valve to a box to the airbox likely as well.
you can remove the tubes and box, close off the airbox hole, and put a filter on the end of the breather valve.

suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »

I can't fathom the airbox drain. If it really was a drain, you'd think they'd put it at the bottom, but instead it's right up at the front.

I've removed it on mine, and will cap it.

The intake manifolds on mine already have a cap head screw where your hoses are. It's like that from the factory. On the yank bikes, the tank vent runs to a charcoal canister, which then runs to the manifolds. The idea is that manifold vacuum sucks smelly petrol stuff from the tank vents and into the charcoal canister.

So no, you don't need those hoses either. Your tank should have a hose that runs down the back of the engine tho - that way if you overfiull it, it'll drip harmlessly on the ground. Dunno if the yank ones have that stock.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:59:14 AM »

I can't fathom the airbox drain. If it really was a drain, you'd think they'd put it at the bottom, but instead it's right up at the front.

I've removed it on mine, and will cap it.
<snip>

It really is a drain. The air box floor is relatively level and the drain is below the carb/throttle body mouths.

If you run a cut air box lid they can be useful. They will also tip you off to any engine problems that would cause oil to fill the air box.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Sherlock
Jesus Freak

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:20:41 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like the screws in the intake will get rid of the 3 way hoses, so I'll probably do that.
It may be wise to leave the others since they seem to have real purpose with the pieces that are still being used(Battery, air box).
And Suzyj; I didn't note on your build thread, but wanted to say excellent work on the electrical system. I wish I had the know how to do that!

2007 S2R800
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

I have oem airbox w/ lid so probably going to go with Suzyj and just remove the "drain" tube (once I find the right size plug/rubberstopper).  I figure if the engine is throwing up oil in the box I'll know when I check it because there will be excess dirt in that area.

Update: I actually ended up shortening the drain tube and calling it even
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:58:48 PM by uclabiker06 » Logged

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
seanster
Wat???? Hero Member!?!?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »

http://www.ducatisuite.com/emissions.html

I used two M5 nuts to plug the manifold nipples after I removed the hoes...need to shorten the nuts to get the right lenght.

2001 Supersport 900 Yellow!!! (she's just so much fun)
2000 Monster 750 Carb Dark!!! (Sold and still full of regrets)
Sherlock
Jesus Freak

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »

Yeah, I actually have two Spare M5 screws clamped in the vice ready for dremeling, just didn't get to it today. Thanks for the link. I did the crankcase breather a while back and have had no problems out of that. One less piece of plastic on my bike.

2007 S2R800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: