Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 12:42:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AGV Horizon vs. AGV Dark Rider vs. Shoei RF 1100  (Read 6423 times)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

So I'm looking at all 3 of these helmets in flat black to match my flat black monster. I like the Ducati decals on the Dark Rider but I know I can add those on the cheap after and they look pretty much the same. I'm looking for opinions on these helmets. Of the 3 the Dark Rider looks like its got the worst ventilation but I like the AGV Shape the most. I also know there's a bluetooth slot in the ear of the Shoei not sure about the AGV. Please share your opinions on what I should get and why. Thanks!
 Huh?

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »

Buy what fits.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Ak1nza

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »

+1 - Buy what fits.

I have the Shoei RF1100.  My friend just got the Dark Rider helmet.  Personally, the Shoei fits me better than the AGV, and I find the inner padding to be softer in the Shoei and little firmer for the AGV.  I couldn't speak regarding wind noise and ventilation since I didn't wear the AGV riding.  Feature wise, I like the Dark Rider's built in sun visor, it really is pretty trick.  It's def got a cool shape to it as well.

Try them both and pick the one that fits you better.

-----------------------------------
2006 S2R800 Dark - SOLD
2007 S4RS
Zulu

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »

I have the agv dark rider. It is a great looking helmet and inner sun visor is a huge plus.As for ventilation, only other helmet I have is nexx xr1r carbon, and there is no comparision. Agv dark rider's ventilation is not good at all. I wear it now only during colder weather.

I am not sure about the weight difference between the ones you comparing, but I always felt like dark rider was bit heavy.

Try them all and see how they fits, I have AGV in medium and although its quite snug on my cheek , I feel like there is little space in between my forehead and the helmet.

10' M696
R0CKETMAN

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

I've had a Shoei 1100, flat black, since they first came out. Great helmet. As stated, buy what fits and feels comfortable.

"Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
BerettaMato

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

I would get what fits. if price is a decider I bought my RF1100 off of evilBay for $285 in 99.99% brand new. Now just going to add decals.

Beretta Giarratano
Boulder, Colorado

2002 Ducati 620 Monster (Currant)
2001 Honda 1800 VTX 400 miles ridden (Hated it) Sold
2002 Honda VTR1000 20,000 miles ridden (Loved it) Sold
1988 Honda NT650 62,000 miles ridden (Soul Mate) Sold Sad
1987 Yamaha YSR50 500 miles ridden (FUN) Sold
skurvy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »

Just picked up an AGV Horizon. My previous helmets were both Arais, a Quantum and Profile. Size-wise my Arais are Large but I went with a Medium for the Horizon. I bought the Profile when I picked up the bike in '06 and I felt it was time for a new lid. The Horizon feels really snug but not uncomfortable, it should be fine when it breaks in.

The main things I've noticed with the Horizon so far:
  • has more ventilation vs. Profile which = more noise
  • chin takes some getting used to which makes it feel bigger
  • the ISV (Inner Sun Visor) not 100% optically correct, minimal distortion but nothing distracting (really slight, some might not even notice)
  • can't "crack" the visor like Arai for stop and go traffic, but has an anti-fog visor which seems to really work
  • both weigh about the same
  • main visor is easier to change than Arai

I wanted to get another Arai but found a price on the Horizon that I couldn't pass up.

Overall it seems like a great helmet, I have no complaints so far. Since I'm a commuter it's great that I don't have to carry 2 visors with me anymore.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: