Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 12:33:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: camshaft removal for newer 2v motor  (Read 3391 times)
wannabfast

« on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

so im contemplating swapping cams out of my m796 with hypermotard 1100 cams, and i was told you can pull everything out from the belt side, but im looking at these cams and im 90% sure you have to take the pulleys off first and pull them out the back side(left side/non-belt side) to avoid interfering with the seal

the cams are set up very similar to the s2r800/1000 setup

i havent had the head apart on this before but this is what ive gathered from looking at the fiche, but yea, im pretty mechanically inclined so i know how things go together from looking at the pictures, when im ready to get all this stuff in and tuned and whatnot ill get them swapped out and take pictures, but i figure people have already had the heads apart on the ds motors

11' M796, SC project GP slip-ons, 1100DS cams, BMC air filter with modified airbox cover, asv levers, 14t front sprocket
Raux
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »

100% sure you have to take the pulley off and take them out the back side
brad black

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »

1/ Undo cam pulley nuts.  On the DS motors these can be incredibly tight - 3/4" rattle gun tight.  So you'll need a tool to hold the pulley solidly.

2/ Remove cap at LH side of head.

3/ Remove rocker covers.

4/ (my way) Remove opening rockers.  You can just pull the clips and slide them across, but with them out you can rotate the cams full circle to get a good feel for the closing shims as the closing lobes tend to have tight spots at each end of the lobe ime.  you need some way of pulling them out that requires a M5 thread.  I have a small slide hammer i use, or you can use a puller of sorts.

5/ Slide cam out.

6/ Slide new cam in.  Make sure they're 2006 onwards cams, as the early ones have a wider LH journal that is closer to the RH side if that makes sense.

7/ Fit cam pulley with new nut and loctite.

8/ Slide end cap in, but don't screw in.

9/ Set closing clearances.

10/ Refit opening rockers and set opening clearances.

11/ Refit belts and set tension.

12/ Check and reset cam timing.

13/ Reassemble.

14/ Tune as required.

Might have left stuff out, that's just sitting here at home thinking about it.  I did a Hyper in about 5 hours (from memory) including pulling and reassembling the body, tank, etc.  Late model things are such a pita to work on.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: