Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 29, 2024, 12:15:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition coils.  (Read 1985 times)
sjostedt

« on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »

I'm riding a 97' monster 600 and after driving my friends 01' monster 600 I noticed a big difference in the way the engine runs. His was running smooth all the time whilst mine surges and missfires a bit, not much but you could definitely feel the difference.  I'm suspecting my ignition coils are bad since the previous owner had them replaced with some cheap copy, or should the difference be this big, is there any changes between the two engines?

I have a 900 supersport 99' with original coils, is it possible to use them on my monster to see if it makes an improvement?
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »

What kind of aftermarket coil is on your 600?

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »

Though I doubt it makes a difference in smooth running, your '97 has the old "Pantah" engine, biggest notable differences are different oiling and cooling fins, clutch slave (yours is integral with the side cover) and belt covers. 

There are a lot of possible causes for your surging and misfire.  When was the bike last serviced?

If your Super Sport is carbed the coils should be the same.  +1 0n koko's question. 
ducatigirl100
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »

I've put some Ca-cyclework ignition coil's on mine and I noticed a really big difference  Shocked!!  waytogo it's a lot smoother now
sjostedt

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »

That I do not know... But I think it is bought at a local hardwarestore for cars.. So it's some general ignition coil made to fit most... The more I think about it the more suspicious I grow.

The supersport is fuel injected.

I was thinking about the Ca-cycleworks but as I live in Sweden the shipping is expensive and the customs even more so.
sjostedt

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »

Though I doubt it makes a difference in smooth running, your '97 has the old "Pantah" engine, biggest notable differences are different oiling and cooling fins, clutch slave (yours is integral with the side cover) and belt covers. 

There are a lot of possible causes for your surging and misfire.  When was the bike last serviced?

Mine is fully serviced just a couple of months ago and since that I've installed K&N podfilters and factory pro jet kit with little to no improvement.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »

PM me your address and postage and I'll send you a set of coils from my 600SS that I took off.  They work fine, I upgraded to dynas on that bike.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »

PM me your address and postage and I'll send you a set of coils from my 600SS that I took off.  They work fine, I upgraded to dynas on that bike.

waytogo

I love this forum.

2015 Scrambler 800
sjostedt

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:19:48 AM »

waytogo

I love this forum.
Cheesy
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »

On the next boat to Sweden:

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Lieutenant Dan

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

I, too, am suspecting a potential issue with my coils. Any way for me to test and see if mine are in good condition or if they need to be replaced? I've got an 07M695

'07 695
sjostedt

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:12 AM »

These are what mine look right now, with no specs from the producer Tongue http://www.biltema.se/ProductImages/53/large/53-403_l.jpg

C11Gidasi
You can measure the primary and secondary coil resistances. I cannot supply you with the specified readings you should have tough because you monster is fuel injected.
Nottsbiker

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »

My whole Monster is in bits and requiring a costly rebuild / mod package - would you pop over to the UK and sort it for me?  waytogo

Ducati Monster 900 (project) Aprilia Tuono 1000
Raux
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:10 AM »

My whole Monster is in bits and requiring a costly rebuild / mod package - would you pop over to the UK and sort it for me?  waytogo

hmmm.. .give me your budget and parts, and I will do it for you... looking for a new project.
dlearl476

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »

What, and cheat you out if the satisfaction of a job well done?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: