Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Clutch bleeder screw weeping at threads  (Read 2657 times)
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

If life is a stage, you'd better let me direct.

« on: August 08, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »

Hi everyone,

There have been a couple of posts about this on the forum but I'm not completely satisfied with the answer as they're not exactly my problem.

My slave cylinder's bleeder screw is as tight as I feel safe making it; there is no fluid weeping through the top of the screw at the valve, but it's weeping significantly at the threads themselves (not the banjo bolt, just the bleeder screw). 

I was riding to work today and lost clutch pressure entirely half way through the ride but discovered I could regain control by multiple pumps of the lever -- so obviously there's air in the line; but no dripping leaks.  So I need a two phase fix.  The second phase will be getting a new banjo/bleeder combo.  The first phase I need help on... what can I do in the mean time to temp-fix the problem?

I will remove it and check for debris and clean it thoroughly.  As I'm not at home I can't fully flush the fluid, but I can grab enough tools to get the air out when I'm done.

Should I get teflon tape for the threads?  Or vaseline?  Or Loctite 545? (Don't know if I can get the loctite, but I'll try).  Any other thoughts?

Your help will be immense... I'm still coming down from the fear of only making it half way to work (I live in NJ and work in Manhattan... there aren't many safe places to have an engine stall out)!

First bike (ever): 2008 Monster 696 [now it's the wife's]
Lost to the front end of a GMC truck: 2010 Monster 1100s w/ABS [miss it!]
Currently Riding: 2013 Streetfighter 848
Raux
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:19 AM »

i would assume teflon tape would get you home at least.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

Teflon tape or try smearing some grease on the threads about 2-3mm above the start of the threads..

But that's very unusual and I wonder if you've overtightened and the mating surfaces are mashed.  try a new bleed screw and see if that works and don't torque it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
tbyte

2000 750M

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »

I have driven with slow leaks at the clutch slave and at the MC.  Make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir and pump it up.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »

I have noticed that the threads are not up to par on my clutch bleeder.  It seems like the tips of the threads are just barely close enough to grab.  The bleeder can wobble around a lot until just as it tightens down (stock parts here) way too much clearance.  I have been extra careful not to strip it and have always gotten it tight enough that it doesn't leak.  One of the things on my to-do list is replace the bleeder with a part that has threads that mate as well as all my other brake and clutch bleeders.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »

Teflon tape to get you home.  Replace the bleeder screw.  The bleeder screw is softer metal than the banjo bolt.  They are cheap.  Any auto parts store should be able to match it for you. 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »

+1.
Sometimes a sign that the screw is about to snap off next time you adjust it. They can start to crack before they snap off. Do the get home fix and replace it when you get there. Accidently overtightening each time weakens them as they are soft. I have a banjo made of good stainless now.

2015 Scrambler 800
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

If life is a stage, you'd better let me direct.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help!!!  I made it home alright after using tape on the slave bleeder.  I got a replacement bleeder screw from the dealer today only to realize that I have the EVO banjo/bleeder combo (slave I had them install when I took delivery... now I use an EVR slave).  So the bleeder I got is too small.  They didn't have a full stock banjo/bleeder combo, anyone know where I can order them?  I hear people are happier with the stock ones rather than these EVO ones.

Thanks again!

First bike (ever): 2008 Monster 696 [now it's the wife's]
Lost to the front end of a GMC truck: 2010 Monster 1100s w/ABS [miss it!]
Currently Riding: 2013 Streetfighter 848
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: