Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 27, 2024, 01:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumber than a 5th grader? Kill switch stories?  (Read 2587 times)
seevtsaab

05 M620

« on: August 28, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

There must be some good stories about how, if you're dumber than a 5th grader, you've been stumped by
the kill switch?
This never happened to me, but, for instance, say you were riding down the slab minding your
own business, maybe rubbing thumb and index finger together to encourage some blood flow, airing
out your hands a little.  Maybe you slipped off the throttle (no traffic nearby of course) and next thing you know,
you're coasting to a stop wondering WTF??
And, if you're really dumber than a 5th grader, it would really top it off if, after checking fuses, wiggling wires
(hope you didn't just finish bragging about how you've had no issues up to about 38K miles) - you were so
helpless as to call a tow truck? Sure, even if you were that dumb you had the good sense to have it taken to your
home, not an mechanic somewhere - we'll give you that.
Also, the other funny thing that could have happened, is your sexy wife comes along a few minutes later with a car packed
full with shit (maybe you just helped her move out of her summer camp residence) and picked you up? Bet them bikers
that drove by you were saying 'why the make the beast with two backs does that bastard have all the luck? That NEVER happens to me?'
Did it cost you more than $175 dollars, then you realized, before you even got home the next day to look at it,
what was wrong?
In case you're wondering, the speedo indicates 0 and tach still works, after hitting the kill switch while on the move.
So I've heard. Gauges sweep nicely too.
So tell me, are you dumber than a 5th grader?
All I can say is, where the hell is a 5th grader when you need one?
Triple J
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »

My bike wouldn't start one morning, so I had to take the bus to work. I couldn't figure out what it was so I posted up the symptoms on the local board. Yep, it was the kill switch. I didn't check it because I never use it.  Tongue Still not sure how it got turned off...probably bumped it or something.

At least it was free though!  laughingdp
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »

"Never" use it, so it's easy to forget  Embarrassed

Kill switch - me
              1 - 8

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

I used it more on the Duc, so it was normal for me to check that first. Now on the Street Triple I never use it. The good thing is that I learned that certain lights on the cluster do not come on when the switch is off. Lesson learned after messing with the bike for 30 minutes.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
rsoffar

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

not on my duc, but I did once have something similar happen with my jeep. It had one of those security chips under the steering wheel that wouldnt let it start without it in. Well one night I decided to take it off a sweet jump  Evil
with a pretty rough landing haha and when I turned it off to get gas later it wouldnt start back up  bang head so I left it at the gas station over night came back the next day and could not for the life of me figure out what was up, so in trying everything I figured maybe my starter went out and used a 0 guage speaker wire to bypass the starter and got it running just to notice when I was pulling in my driveway that the landing had jarred the chip slightly out  of its spot and thats what was causing my issues.  chug

'00 M900s
Autostrada Pilot

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:54 PM »

Posts like this remind me to check the kill switch. 

I usually just use the key-unless I'm coasting into my garage late at night and don't want to wake up MY sleeping baby (screw everyone else's sleeping kids).

2003 Monster 620 Dark - Sold

1999 Monster 900 City - Sold

After 7 years of Monsters, I'm sadly bikeless right now.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

Posts like this remind me to check the kill switch. 

I usually just use the key-unless I'm coasting into my garage late at night and don't want to wake up MY sleeping baby (screw everyone else's sleeping kids).

My kid could sleep through a thunderstorm.

I do have a story though.  I was out riding with a friend of mine on an old Honda I used to own many years ago when it suddenly quit running.  I figured it just broke down, which was not uncommon with that bike, so I coasted to the side of the road and called the tow truck.  While I was waiting I started checking things out, I had fuel, the bike seemed to have power and it turned over so I wasn't sure why it wouldn't start.  I figured it out after about 10 minutes, I had reached the reserve and had to turn the petcock to get to that last gallon and a half in the tank.  Derp... Roll Eyes

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
Heath

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »

I hardly ever use mine.  I was at an event one time for hours.  Came back to my bike and it wouldn't start.  Started freaking out a little bit. My group I was with was started and reading to head out.  I was 3 hours from home thinking what am I going to do.  Then I look at my kill switch and someone looking at my bike must of switched it to kill.  Bike fired right up after that.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:42 AM »

Never happened to me.  Never lied either Tongue
Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:17 AM »

Never used the kill switch until I took the MSF, after that I use it pretty much all the time.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Mhanis

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:58:03 AM »

Never used the kill switch until I took the MSF, after that I use it pretty much all the time.

Why? What did they teach that convinced you to use it?

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 72,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles GONE!
MikeZ

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »

If you have a "get off" it's good to be able to know where the kill switch is by instinct so you don't have to think "Now where's the kill switch" in an emergency situation.

'03 M1000Sie (in need of a bath), '71 Honda CB500 (the Project), '10 Tiger (the tourer)
Chucko9-696

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »

Dont ask me how, but i bumped mine off one time on my ninja. i was on the side of the road for about 5 minutes wondering what was wrong.  drink

'09 Monster 696
2013 Yamaha V Star 950 tourer
Greg

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »

If you have a "get off" it's good to be able to know where the kill switch is by instinct so you don't have to think "Now where's the kill switch" in an emergency situation.

Yep - that's it  waytogo

I figured it doesn't hurt to get in the habit of using it.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
MikeZ

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

Yep - that's it  waytogo

I figured it doesn't hurt to get in the habit of using it.
Not that I ever use it though LOL
I just use the key

'03 M1000Sie (in need of a bath), '71 Honda CB500 (the Project), '10 Tiger (the tourer)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: