Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 27, 2024, 09:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R800 Slipper Options  (Read 2957 times)
hackers2r

« on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »

Ive been toying with the idea of using the DP dry clutch conversion for the 848 on my bike. However, due to some one-off items that will need to be replaced eventually with then-modified parts, it doesn't seem that attractive. It got me thinking though, would the wet slipper clutch made for the 848 work on my S2R 800?  If not, does anyone make a nice slipper that fits?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

No, it doesn't fit in your (or my) 800.

Someone said that EVR will be making a wet slipper for our bikes, but I haven't seen anything yet.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Raux
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:43 AM »

Send an email to EVR reminding them that they are supposed to be working on this!
I need more people asking.

info@edovignaracing.com

hackers2r

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:06 AM »

Any idea why it wouldn't fit? I ask because the 848 dry clutch kit is supposed to be pretty similar to our bikes.
Raux
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:13 AM »

different splines/etc.
hackers2r

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:07:20 AM »

Hmm. Ok. But doesn't the pack from the dry clutch conversion fit on our bikes?
Raux
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 04:13:56 AM »

not sure on that part.

honestly it's all about the input shaft size/height, etc.
There are a few people that have done dry conversions for smaller motors (I hope to be one of them this winter)
but it's not easy.

The BEST option for race quality slipper at a good price will be the EVR if it ever gets on the market.

The next best is the 796/696 semi-slipper IMO but not sure they are compatible with the S2R800 but would assume so, since they are basically the same casing.

The MOST expensive will be a dry clutch conversion (custom) and a dry slipper.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:21 AM »

Raux - can you remember if the 696 clutch basket has the six heavy springs in/behind the large driven gear?

By part numbers it doesn't, but you never know with Ducati catalogs.

My engine builder says it's required that the primary driving and driven gears are a pair to avoid the LOUD whining noice one (I) can (did) get with a one-piece drive gear on a S2R800, which stock has a (known to explode) dual mass gear.   I can get a great deal on these parts from a clean 696 donor and will probably do this to avoid/minimize the risk of another exploding driven gear.

With a simpler driving and driven gear and 20/50 semi oil the clutch will last forever Cool

These gears and clutch basket is the same on 620, 695, 696 and 796.

Raux
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:26:42 AM »

Raux - can you remember if the 696 clutch basket has the six heavy springs in/behind the large driven gear?

By part numbers it doesn't, but you never know with Ducati catalogs.

My engine builder says it's required that the primary driving and driven gears are a pair to avoid the LOUD whining noice one (I) can (did) get with a one-piece drive gear on a S2R800, which stock has a (known to explode) dual mass gear.   I can get a great deal on these parts from a clean 696 donor and will probably do this to avoid/minimize the risk of another exploding driven gear.

With a simpler driving and driven gear and 20/50 semi oil the clutch will last forever Cool

These gears and clutch basket is the same on 620, 695, 696 and 796.
I haven't had the clutch off (yet Cheesy) but I have hte manual at home with pics. I'll check
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:33:36 AM »

I haven't had the clutch off (yet Cheesy) but I have hte manual at home with pics. I'll check

Probably no pictures from under it, but please check if you can waytogo

(I have emailed EVR)

TitanMonsterS4R

Yup, it's supposed to sound like that....

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »

Ive been toying with the idea of using the DP dry clutch conversion for the 848 on my bike. However, due to some one-off items that will need to be replaced eventually with then-modified parts, it doesn't seem that attractive. It got me thinking though, would the wet slipper clutch made for the 848 work on my S2R 800?  If not, does anyone make a nice slipper that fits?

Hackers2r - I contemplated this myself for my 06 S2R800 and spoke with the folks at DucPond Motorsports in VA about doing the work.  They were going to use the 848 dry clutch kit and fabricate the necessary parts (bolt or two I believe).  Here's the email exchange I had with Nathan@DucPond.

We use the Ducati performance Dry Clutch Conversion Kit for the mod. The kit includes a New side cover/Slipper Clutch with Clutch Plates/Clutch Cover(Blk)/Starter Gears and misc hardware. The shaft nut that is included in the kit will not fit your bike. We have a custom nut made to fit your bike.

06 Monster S4R - Red/Black Final Edition
Raux
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »

mass produce that puppy 'nut'

one other note
I was told by a mechanic familiar with this change that there is an oil channel that should be closed off inside the side case that can blow out the oil seal on the clutch casing.

not sure if that's part of the kit.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »

EVR replied - they are planning to show it in Milan (EICMA?) later this year.

So, some time next year?  Grin

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

www.sigmaperformance.com

These guys might want to step up to the plate.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
hackers2r

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »

I spoke with yoyodyne today and they should have a wet slipper available next week. Think this is the route I'll go since parts are easily obtained if needed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: