Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just another tire tread  (Read 13841 times)
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 11:04:29 PM »

Well, if you don't mind the lurching, misfires, stumbling and keeping the RPMs over 7000 to generate enough horsepower to keep it running at all, yes.  

On the brighter side all of the above are better than having to push it at the stoplights to get it going.

For whatever reason Eddie was not able to handle the DP ECU at all.  As a twist of fate I actually had a spare NIB ECU.  I didn't talk with him today but I guess he couldnt work with that one either so he had the machine set up with the stock ECU with the Termis still in place.  That is clearly not a viable situation.

Not sure where this leaves me.  Next step is to reinstall one of the DP ECUs and see where that leaves me.  A manual TPS setting and a TB sync will probably follow.

Even with the stock ECU it should still run much better than that.  Putting slip on cans on alone will not lean it so much where it will run like you describe.  I put wide open Termi's on my bike and rode it around like that for a couple of weeks before taking it into Will to have the Race ECU installed. You could only tell the slightest difference afterwards.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Thermite

It's not my brain that's getting fried here!

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »

Didn't need to hear that but thanks for the info..  Both cylinders were firing but one of them was stumbling badly.  Both fire at idle.

Right now I don't know where it stands.  I took it in 9 days ago for a safety check and TPS reset and I don't know what's happened to it since.  It ran fine before but wouldn't light the fires right away if it sat overnight.

It's all good though.  It's back in the best little Ducati shop in Aiea and it will live to see another day!

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »

I've been through what you are describing before. More than once. My first guess is that you have a bad ignition coil. Tori's 620 had rotted fuel lines inside the tank but no one to this day can explain why that affected only one cylinder except that maybe the first cylinder in line was using what little fuel was available and was starving the remaining cylinder. Since you already went through fuel lines in the tank then I would bet on the coil.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »

When you did the fuel lines you did get the special type fuel hose that lives submerged in gasoline didn't you?

Thermite

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

When I did the fuel lines it was only to reconnect the hose to the filter.  The hoses were fine.

Like I said right now I don't know what the issue is.  It ran absolutely fine when I dropped it SSD.  It needed a safety check and I just wanted a TPS reset after the ECU swap while it was there.

It would be unfortunate timing to develop a coil problem while it was in for service.  All of the effort was directed to A/F ratio so I have to think it is related to that.

At the moment I have thrown the blanket over it because I need to get a rear tire on the monster to clear my transportation woes.  Once I have a set of wheels I'll take a look at the 998.  I may add a VDST to my arsenal in the meantime.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:22:57 PM by Thermite » Logged

'07 S4RS and '04 998 Matrix.  Because sometimes I feel like a monster, and sometimes I don't.
Thermite

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »

I'll try the red pill please........ The Mateix is alive and well.

The DP ECU that was on it when I dropped it off was still on it.  No ECU swaps had been done.  The battery had not been disconnected, the battery had not been removed.  The rubber boot around the battery had not been removed.  The battery tray had not been removed.  The side cowl had not been removed.  All of these have to happen to swap an ECU.  I have to call TOTAL BULLSHIT on SSD.

The NIB DP ECU was still NIB.  Never installed on any machine, until today. Evil

It could probably still use a TPS reset and maybe some trim but it's running pretty damn fine.  I'm going to get a diagnostic tool from CA Cycleworks in the near future to boost my shop capability.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:46:48 AM by Thermite » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »

Glad you were able to get it sorted.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Thermite

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

Glad you were able to get it sorted.

Thanks, you're more than kind as always.  It may have cost me a DP ECU but fortunately I had one to spare.  I've ordered a Mathesus unit so I can work the diagnostics myself.

Down side is now I feel compelled to do valves.  I have some time to prep for that, and with any luck I may find a mentor to hold my hand through the first set. Wink

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »

I'll try the red pill please........ The Mateix is alive and well.

The DP ECU that was on it when I dropped it off was still on it.  No ECU swaps had been done.  The battery had not been disconnected, the battery had not been removed.  The rubber boot around the battery had not been removed.  The battery tray had not been removed.  The side cowl had not been removed.  All of these have to happen to swap an ECU.  I have to call TOTAL BULLSHIT on SSD.

Glad to hear that the Matrix is well...hope you didn't fork over any $$$ to SSD, and that you gave them a piece of your mind...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Thermite

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

No $$.$$ and not having enough marbles left to share I kept them to myself for future use.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »

No $$.$$ and not having enough marbles left to share I kept them to myself for future use.

applause laughingdp

freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »

If anyone is interested, Sport Rider Magazine (Dec 2012) published their "2012 Street Tire Test" article.  Here is my abridged version...

While, admittedly, there is no perfect test and typically subjective... the comparison utilized a CBR600 and GSX-R1000 on a 130 mile street loop which included urban city, highway and canyon curvy roads in the mountain ranges in Southern California.  They didn't include Michelin since the Pilot Power and Power 2CT are being replaced and the new tires haven't been released.

1.  Dunlop Q2 (92.3)
2.  Bridgestone S20 (86.3)
3.  Avon 3D Ultra Sport (83.5)
4.  Continental ContiSport Attack 2 (79.0)
5.  Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (74.5)
6.  Metzler SportTec M5 Interact (62.0)
7.  Shinko 010 Apex (59.6)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:18:47 AM by freeflydive » Logged

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »

Wow. The Pirelli scored that low. It'll be interesting to read why when I get my issue.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »

Wow. The Pirelli scored that low. It'll be interesting to read why when I get my issue.

Yeah, me too...I thought the Corsa II was supposed to be hot sh*t...

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »

Yeah, me too...I thought the Corsa II was supposed to be hot sh*t...

The three people I know running them up here LOVE them, and they came off of Q2s.  Just as all tests, these things are too subjective to put any merit into.  A certain tire will work for one person's bike, with their riding style, on that particular road, with that specific suspension set up, under those localized weather conditions.  Alter any one of those variables, and everything else goes out the window. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: