Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 03:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protaper contour carmichael on a 796...possible?  (Read 2593 times)
gitter

« on: September 03, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »

I did a quick search before I ran out the door and didnt really find any fitment information for these bars. I picked up a set along with a set of pro taper fat bar clamps.

Anyone fit these to a monster 796? Will I have room for all the controls? Will I have to adjust the throttle cable at all?

Thanks in advance

Gitter
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »

If my math is anything close to correct....... these bars have the same backwards sweep angle as stock and the rise might be ok, BUT the upward tilted angle can't be good for the shoulders. These are MotoX aren't they?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
battlecry

On a silver black phantom bike...

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:55 AM »

Gitter, mx bars don't need the streetbike switchgear.   Make sure the straight ends are long enough.  I use an old Yammie Raptor bend on mine and it is almost short.
gitter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

Yes they are mx bars. I was planning on running them combined with a shorter riser which I was hoping would negate the rise ( and take care of any shoulder discomfort).

I'm starting to get the feeling that I wont have enough room for everything on the bars. I did a very quick measurement (read: not the most accurate) before bed last night, and if its going to work its going to be very snug.

All that being said, should I just return them and spend the extra $40 on rizomas? Also, if that happens, will the rizoma bars work with the pro taper fat bar clamps (they say they will work for 1 1/8" bars)? Reason I ask is because I already have them...and they cost me $40 compared to the to the rizoma risers.

Thanks in advance

Gitter
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »

I had those bars on my old 695 now my wife's.
Took a while to get used to the ergo and in the end swapped em out for some bars from my friends S4RS
I found them too wide for her especially and not that comfortable on long rides.
As a MX bar I think they are more suited to a standing position , they seemed to put a bit of fatigue into my wrists
from being so straight and not enough sweep.
Also the gold ano finish if that what it was faded quite badly.
good luck  Dolph hope they work for you

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:28:54 PM by Two dogs » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »

My MX comment wasn't about the rise which may or may not be ok, but about the wrist angle you'll end up with. It will force your elbows up and shoulder/neck pain is very probable.

I think any tapered bars will fit in risers as long as they are made for those bars.

Digging a little deeper: why are you doing this? What is the problem you're trying to fix?

Maybe this thread can give you some input...
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=52588.0

gitter

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:30 AM »

essentially what I'm looking for is a little lower of a bar so I'm not sitting so upright. I like the width of the bars, I would just like them lower, mostly because I would like a bit more of an aggressive riding position ( somewhat close to the streetfighter) Additionally my other motivation for swapping out bars / risers is because I slowly want to convert everything over to black. Yes I know its just aesthetics but it still part of my reason for wanting to swap.

I thought about clip ons for a bit, but it seemed like that would bring my hands closer in to the tank and I would lose the easy imput of the wider bars.

Hope this helps explain things a little bit.

Gitter
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

Ok - then a lower 'riser' might help? I'm not too familiar with the new Monsters, but aren't the 1100 or 696 risers lower than the 796...

Again, not too familar, but have you checked the StreetFighter or S2R/S4R bars for rise compared to your bike?

gitter

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »

Just ordered rizoma bars. Going to mate them with the pro taper risers and see how I like it. Bars should be here tomorrow, from what I've read people seem to like them
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »

Rizoma now have two different heigths - which did you get?

gitter

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

Part# is MA005
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »

That's the one with 30 mm rise and 27 degree sweep back (stock is 18)

If you wanted a lower bar (20 mm rise) it would be the 010 which also is close to stock with it's +/- 20 degree sweep back.

(I said two models, but it turns out there are three)

gitter

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »

Hmm...well the pro taper bar mounts are a lot lower than stock, so hopefully that will counter act the 30mm of rise
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »

I suggest taking a lot of measurements before and after to be able to tell what has actually happened.

For example:
Distance from wheel center to bar end and the base of the grip
Distance from electric controls to tank on full lock
Distance from bar end or base of grip to front edge of the seat

Good luck and keep us posted waytogo

gitter

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

I'll try to remember to take before and after measurements. As far as the throttle cable and brake / clutch lines, will those have to be adjusted at all? Due to the lower riser? Or will I be ok with leaving everything as is and just swapping out bars/ risers?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: