Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:43:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bee in my sleeve.  (Read 9687 times)
faolan01

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »

I had an "interesting" variation of this today...was riding with my visor up and took a bumble bee in the face at about 70. Fortunately I saw it just before it hit me and I (barely) realized I needed to stay focused and going straight or I'd end up in a whole lot more pain.
cmorgan47

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:29 AM »

same thing happened to me yesterday.

my visor had broken earlier in the weekend, so i just pulled it off and used sunglasses for the trip home.  coasting up to a stop sign i saw one coming straight at me, then felt it wedge in by my right cheek.

side note: i am NOT an open-face helmet guy.... must buy new helmet immediately
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 07:10:32 PM »

side note: i am NOT an open-face helmet guy.... must buy new helmet immediately

[threadjack]

What kind of lid do you run?  You might just be able to replace the visor and hinge mechanism.

[/threadjack]

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »

Haven't yet had a bee/wasp incident on a motorcycle (knock on wood) but have had several while bicycling. Worst was inhaling a bee at speed and feeling her crawl around for a couple of seconds on my uvula before stinging me on the back of the throat. Because I knew she wasn't coming out the way she went in (and I fervently hoped it was a bee with one shot, rather than a wasp with many) I kept swallowing hard and chugging from my water bottle to get rid of her. Ick.

As if I needed yet another reason for a full-face helmet while riding on the Duc....

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
cmorgan47

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »

[threadjack]

What kind of lid do you run?  You might just be able to replace the visor and hinge mechanism.

[/threadjack]

i can and will fix the existing (cheap HJC) and keep it around as a spare... always a good thing to have.
basically i'm using it as an excuse to upgrade, since i wanted to anyways.  ordered a shoei RF1000 this morning.
monstervince

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »

When I first started riding, I was on my way to work and had bug hit me in the neck.  The initial impact felt rather hard for the speed (10-15 mph pulling up to a stoplight) I didn't know what it was.  Then it stung me.  Crap a Bee!  I thought.  I kept control of the bike as I swatted it away.  Little bastard fell down my shirt and continued to sting me on my chest and stomach.  Then I knew it was a wasp so I kept slapping at my chest and stomach to try to smash it.  When I got around the corner to work I jumped off the bike and threw off my shirt and out came the wasp not dead just dazed, he fell to the ground and I took care of him the only sure.  With the boot
SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »

he fell to the ground and I took care of him the only sure.  With the boot

ice cold.  Cool

"Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derer, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben."
— Alexander Von Humboldt
monstervince

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

ice cold.  Cool

LOL!!
venomousr1993

Snapping Like a Squirrel

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »

I have yet to be stung on my bike, though was stung in my truck.  Had my hand out the window and a bee stung me in between my fingers.  It was the first time and my entire lower arm went numb and swelled up to the size of my bicep/tricep.  The swelling finally went down after 3-4 days.  I fear the same thing happening on the bike since the doctor said it could be worse the second time.

Aminul

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »

Mine bee story is the same as most of the riders here.  I was out on a country road minding my own business when I fetl something hit me just below my neck.  I didn't think much of it, but after a few seconds my chest started to burn.  I knew something was up, but didn't know what and didn't have a place to stop.  When I reached the next town I pulled over, ripped my helmet and jacket off and there he was -- a little black and yellow bee.  He met his end quickly. 

As far as I can tell, the bee hit me and bounced down into my jacket a few inches.  Luckily I don't have an alergy, so I just ended up with a sore chest for a few days.
erkishhorde

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »

I used to ride with my visor open on surface streets a lot but not anymore. I've been hit in the face by flies a couple of times already but usually they just hit me and bounce out of my helmet so I go, "Aw crap," and then it's gone and over. Not this last time.

I was in a parking lot riding with my visor open when I noticed I was right about to hit a fly of some sort. First reaction is to dodge my head since I've been hit in the eye by a random fly a couple of times already while riding with my visor up. Well, the other times I didn't have glasses on but this time I did and instead of bouncing off my glasses it went UNDER my glasses because I had ducked my head.

So I lay on the brakes and I'm kinda freaking out with my eye squinted shut as there's a bug crawling all over my eye under my glasses. I take off my glasses and shake my head but the bugger won't fly away. I didn't wanna just brush it off with my hand for fear of knocking it farther down into the chinbar area of the helmet since I have one of those chin net things and that would trap the bugger. Then I came up with the stupid idea of trying to flick it off with the arm of my glasses. I manage to get the arm of my glasses under the bugger but the flick didn't knock him off and the bugger turned out to be a wasp and stung me right between my nose my and eye! Of course after he stings me he flies away like nothing happened.  Angry I'm happy that it wasn't a bee. Bees may only sting once but they hurt like a pregnant dog. I still had to ride my bike around the building to park in the parking garage too.   Undecided

Yeah, I don't ride with my visor wide open too much anymore... Other than that I've found a silver fish in my helmet. Don't leave your helmet unused on a shelf for too long.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:38:22 AM by erkishhorde » Logged

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »

I was riding with my visor up and iwth my sunglasses. I see this massive object come at me ( i was going 40mph) and it get hit in the face.  right between my left lens and the helmet. I thought it might of been a sparrow due to its size, but i found no blood anywhere. Nad something was stuck inside my helmet. it start pinching me. I thought it was a beak or something. then it started moving. so i freaked out, and i ripped my helmet of.

a huge dragon fly came out. he broke his wings. Sad

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
CNS-Mike

"Do it!"

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »

I've had the bee in the sleeve treatment twice - but never in the helmet (thank god!).  The first time it happened, I didn't even know the damn thing was in my sleeve until I had finished the ride, parked the bike, walked the 50 yards to my building, scanned in and made it all the way to my office.  I felt like something was poking my forearm - like  a rogue pin from the dry cleaner - so I naturally started to massage my shirt...only to piss off the wasp that had so cozily been relaxing on my arm for the last 10 minutes or so.  Man, was he pissed!  He stung me about 8 times before I could rip off my tie and shirt - which, along with the yelling and pregnant dogesque screaming, attracted a bunch of unwanted attention from the secretaries down the hall - talk about adding insult to injury.  Embarrassed

The second time I was wearing a short sleeve shirt under my leather jacket and felt it sting me at 70 mph.  I just smashed it with my left hand and kept going.  Thankfully not as dramatic as my first encounter.

Now I wear a tighter sleeved jacket and full face helmet...although I think I may do more riding with the visor down after this thread... bacon

2007 S2R1K - Chopped tail and emissions can; 14T front, Vizi-tec LED tail light, HID, CRG lane splitters

Sold - 1998 Honda Shadow Aero  ***  Crashed - 1980 Yamaha XS1100  ***  Killed - 1978 Yamaha XS750
mossimo

I lost my titanium member in the operation

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »

Had a bee go up my sleeve in a tight set of twisties, started stinging and I couldn't stop do to no shoulder on the road.  The damned thing got 3 stings in before I got him out. 

Buying gauntlent style gloves soon waytogo

"Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."  Will Rogers.
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

Got the bee in the neck, my riding buddy stopped to help me pull out the sting(he's got fingers like sausages by the way) just succeeded in making sure all the venom was injected before pulling it out. ouch!

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: