Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 01:20:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike feels wrong  (Read 3039 times)
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

I took my bike (m750) in for its 18,000 mile service. When I got it back it sounds awful. It has a noise that sounds like something is rubbing as it rolls. It sometimes shifts and sometimes grinds when I try to put it into gear. I had to ride it home from the shop since I had to pick it up after they closed. I don't dare ride it now. I'm not a mechanic and don't know any one that can check it for me. I'm not sure I dare take it back to the shop. It's about 12 miles from my home. The shop has a great reputation. I feel stuck. Before the service it ran great. I rode it almost a thousand miles during the three days before I took it in. Now I don't dare ride it around the block. Any suggestions?

Is it June yet?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »

I suspect that there's a MOBster relatively near you, have you tried posting in the MOB forum?
They're a friendly bunch, maybe one of them can come by to give it a looksee....

If the shop has a great reputation, give 'em a call and tell them what's happening.
If they're 12 miles away, they could have a tech swing by without too much trouble.

Perhaps the bike was released to you before it was completed?
I'd say give 'em a chance to make it right.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »

It wasn't released early. They left it out front with the keys hidden because I couldn't get there before they closed. I hesitated to post in the MOB forum because the advice I get is too mechanical for my understanding. First I'll call the shop on Tuesday when they are open. If they can deal with it great. Otherwise I'll post to the MOB and see if anyone wants to check it out for me. Thanks for the reply. I'm just frustrated at not being able to use the bike and at my own ignorance of not knowing even simple mechanics beyond an oil change and servicing the chain.

Is it June yet?
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »

Heather,

I can take a look at it if you like-I'm not far from you. just post up or send me a PM.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

as the recently educated voice of an easily rattled and not immediately trusting (and stupid) person, i second SpeedDog's rec to give them a call and give them a rundown just like you posted above.  if the shop has a really good rep, it's no doubt for lots of really good reasons.  if something went wrong they're going to want to make it right, your safety is at stake and i think most of our local wrenchers are riders too.

being alone without another rider or mechanically skilled person around is a drag, believe me i understand.  call and let them know you're concerned and once you've had some face-to-face time with them, and whatever is going on is diagnosed, i hope you're feeling a kind of warm-IZ_ faith in humanity.  i had to check my "Ohe Noe, disaster!" nerves at the door and once talking to the shop, felt a huge weight lifted.  everyone who told me communication is key was so right.

best of luck!

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

as the recently educated voice of an easily rattled and not immediately trusting (and stupid) person, i second SpeedDog's rec to give them a call and give them a rundown just like you posted above.  if the shop has a really good rep, it's no doubt for lots of really good reasons.  if something went wrong they're going to want to make it right, your safety is at stake and i think most of our local wrenchers are riders too.

being alone without another rider or mechanically skilled person around is a drag, believe me i understand.  call and let them know you're concerned and once you've had some face-to-face time with them, and whatever is going on is diagnosed, i hope you're feeling a kind of warm-IZ_ faith in humanity.  i had to check my "Ohe Noe, disaster!" nerves at the door and once talking to the shop, felt a huge weight lifted.  everyone who told me communication is key was so right.

best of luck!

I remember your dilemma. I hope everything is going well for you now. Thanks for your words.

Is it June yet?
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

Heather,

I can take a look at it if you like-I'm not far from you. just post up or send me a PM.

PM sent! waytogo

Is it June yet?
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »

PM sent! waytogo

Bike diagnosed!  waytogo

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

Bike diagnosed!  waytogo

And......

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »

Bike was wrecked several times by previous owner(s). The front wheel was put together using whatever parts the person had. The wheel was not the correct wheel, after taking off the wheel the bearings easily slipped out, the spacer between the bearings was for a GSXR. It was just all of these "wrong" pieced together parts that was causing the noise. Now I have a new...well used wheel and the correct parts. The bike feels better now and it's quiet again. I just have to wonder what else is pieced together in some Frankenstein way?.?

I took it to Nichols where they got it sorted out and fixed up. They were way more than fair on labor costs. Great place.

Is it June yet?
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:49:02 AM »

Good to hear you got it worked out!   applause

+1 on Nichols. Such great guys, do great work.  waytogo

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: