Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 10:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apologies for shutting down the lincoln tunnel helix last night  (Read 5139 times)
freeclimbmtb
From Zero Member to

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:07 AM »

I had a 25mph laydown on my 696, would have been totaled by progressive pays dollar for dollar for anything aftermarket up to $3000, In my case, I traded the untotaled bike in for my 796, but there was enough damage to total it had it been stock..

2011 Monster 796 ABS

CW/evotech tail tidy, lightwereks integrated tail light, CRG Arrow bar end mirrors, Duc.ee solenoid eliminator & 696 midpipe, sans charcoal canister, pileon grab bars, Arrow Dark slipons (sans dB killers), Rizoma Zero11's, Rizoma Lux grips, Rizoma rearsets, Rizoma gas cap, 1098R Ohlins forks, IMA Triples, Galfer wave rotors, Brembo radial masters, Rizoma reservoirs, Ohlins DU737, Rizoma bars, 15t AFAM front and 41t supersprox rear sprocket with EK MVXC chain.
Vishwacorp

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »

Glad to hear that you're okay. Best of luck with the bike.
Amlethae
ahm-leth-eye

If life is a stage, you'd better let me direct.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »

If you want to keep and fix the bike, get to a shop.  Before calling the adjuster inspect (chime in and add to the list, folks):
Rear engine case for cracks at the rear mounting point.
Any kinks or cracking paint on the frame.
There should be a page in the shop manual with points to measure the frame.
Make sure the engine runs and you can shift through the gears.  You will need to remove the chain.
Price out what you know you need.
Add a notable budget for the unseen.

Also keep in mind not having clear title will greatly reduce the value of your bike.  When the adjuster goes to the shop, be there.  Tell him you want to keep the bike.  If he writes the estimate on the low side you can avoid salvage title.  I did that with my bike, but my damage was cosmetic.  With your damage I doubt an adjuster would cooperate, but try anyway.  I love seeing bikes saved, but you need to go into this eyes wide open.

Thank you for this!  I haven't looked at the bike since the incident.  I seem to remember shutting the engine off after the impact, but I don't remember well enough and I haven't tested it since.  Will look through all of this.

As I've never been in an accident of any kind before I was wondering what other experience is.  Tell me what I'm not understanding of these scenarios:

1. Not totaled, insurance pays for all repairs: A shop bids on it, insurance agrees and pays, and I get my bike back in some shape or form.  Value is lower regardless because of the incident right?
2. Totaled: Estimate of repairs comes in higher than the value of the bike.  Insurance gives me a check for their assessed value of the bike (?) and the title is nullified or turned into a salvage title?  [I dont really understand the process of totaling...]

What should I do in either case?  I really just want my bike back... I know the value will go down but hell I love it and I just want to run it into the ground... MYSELF!!  bang head

First bike (ever): 2008 Monster 696 [now it's the wife's]
Lost to the front end of a GMC truck: 2010 Monster 1100s w/ABS [miss it!]
Currently Riding: 2013 Streetfighter 848
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »

I am not sure what "total loss" is these days, but it used to be 78% of value.  Parts usually do not get repaired on a motorcycle, but replaced by new.  On the previous generation Monster tank, exhaust and a few control parts plus labor can have you at that point. Usually you can buy the bike back for about 25% of value.  The bike will now have "salvage title" and cannot be registered until the bike is "reconstructed", quite a PITA.

The insurance company might try and steer you to a shop but you have the right to choose the shop you prefer (including yourself).  Value is definitely much lower if the bike had salvage title.  Clear title, not so much. 

You might want to Commonwealth Motorcycles and price out the parts you know you will need, sub frame, wheel, lights etc. to get an idea. 

The final decision is up to you.  Financially advisable?  From the photo, IMO, probably not but you get to save a motorcycle and maybe build something special.  If you want, PM me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk.  I could probably find time to look at the bike with you.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

Wheel ~$1300
Swingarm ~$1700
Rear frame ~$1050 each side, so $2100
Exhaust header/connector pipes, 3 pcs ~$1200 total
Termi carbon cans ~$1000 (?) slip-on kit has ECU too, and is ~$1500

So, I've got ~$7300 added up pretty quickly, just in parts.
I've assumed that the entire exhaust system is fubared from the hit.
That may be a stretch.
But I've not added in anything for the seat, tail, lights, etc.

Quick Google has optimistic street value at $10k.

Here in SoCal, 'total' threshold is ~75%.

IMO, it's a goner.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »

My apologies if that was a bit clinical, I see it more than I'd like.  Lips Sealed

Sorry to hear you and your bike got whacked, glad that you're pretty much OK.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

I'm with speeddog. the bike is a goner, however be it as it may, all is not loss. I think you can get a good payout for it. Now would be a great oppritunity to take that payout, buy it back and then pick up a m1100 evo and swap parts over to it. and if you want to unload some parts..... Tongue im looking!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Raux
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »

Get all the aftermarket parts that are saveable off before insurance gets there. And have the recipts for the ones destroyed
freeclimbmtb
From Zero Member to

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:02 AM »

+1 for it most likely being totaled  Sad  Bikes are easily replaced, bodies not so much...thats the important part.

Also, if you have time, do your own assessment for comparison.  Ducatiomaha has all the parts catalogs and prices online.  When mine went down it tweaked the little tabs that hold the tank onto the trellis...Ducati states that ANY frame damage warrents replacement of the frame...so check the gaps between the tank and keyguard...as well as steering lock to lock...if anything is off...clear sign of tank misalignment: frame damage..

2011 Monster 796 ABS

CW/evotech tail tidy, lightwereks integrated tail light, CRG Arrow bar end mirrors, Duc.ee solenoid eliminator & 696 midpipe, sans charcoal canister, pileon grab bars, Arrow Dark slipons (sans dB killers), Rizoma Zero11's, Rizoma Lux grips, Rizoma rearsets, Rizoma gas cap, 1098R Ohlins forks, IMA Triples, Galfer wave rotors, Brembo radial masters, Rizoma reservoirs, Ohlins DU737, Rizoma bars, 15t AFAM front and 41t supersprox rear sprocket with EK MVXC chain.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: