Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 03:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Sale Only: 1999 M900S for sale (Red) $4200  (Read 2928 times)
CRASH!

« on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »

Hi guys. Many of you don't know me as I got really busy when the old board went commercial and this one started. Haven't been around much at all. Please allow me to impose in offering my Monster for sale.

Ducati has done a brilliant job updating the Monster over almost 20 years while keeping to the spirit of the original 1993 Muguel Galuzzi design, but there’s an essential purity to the original  that many of us old guys have a soft spot for. 1999 is the last year of the original Monster, and in “S” configuration, arguably the best.

This bike is a red (the fastest color) 1999 M900S in mostly stock configuration. With 47,000 miles of real world experience; this is NOT a pristine machine. But it’s a solid, well cared for bike that’s ready for another 47,000 miles.

What makes this an “S” model?
1. Fully adjustable Showa forks. These things are light years better than the non adjustables on the base model and are unobtanium.
2. Big valve heads. For some reason known only to two people in Borgo Panigale, ‘98 and ‘99 models got small valve heads from the 750. S models have the big valve heads that all previous 900s had.
3. An aluminum swingarm with spools for paddock stands. It’s a lot prettier than the steel ones and it’s less unsprung weight. Consult your suspension design books for why you should care.
4. A bikini fairing. Some like it; some are ambivalent. It was part of Galuzzi’s original design and it harks back to the early 70s. I like it. Unlike some later models, this sucker is solid! Those brackets are the real deal.

Most significant recent work:
1. Complete top end refresh by Eric Colbath and Bruce Meyers. The bottom ends are known to last forever, so you’re not looking at opening the motor for a long time to come.
2. Brand new Yoyodyne clutch slave cylinder (the Evoluzione rebuilt stocker just began leaking).
3. Freshly rebuilt vacuum fuel pump (the membranes in these generally fail every 20k mi or so; rebuild is really simple and I have another rebuild kit to go with the bike).
4. Brand new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires (brilliant turn-in with this tire profile and I consistently get 6k miles out of a rear and 12k out of a front; great value along with great traction on road or track).

Mods:
1. Racetech springs and gold valves. The stock suspension is generally considered undersprung for all but the slightest Italian jockey. And the high speed oil flow of the stock valves is insufficient for a supple ride over pavement irregularities. RaceTech cures those ills.
2. Bruce Meyers lightened flywheel. Who doesn’t appreciate snappier throttle response?
3. Ducati Performance light Aluminum clutch and basket. See above.
4. Nichols crankcase breather. The stocker is a POS. When it begins leaking you get one that will last the lifetime of the bike..like the Nichols.
5. Yoyodyne clutch slave cylinder. Ditto; the stocker is crap. Fred makes a replacement that will keep going like the Energizer bunny.
6. Manual fuel petcock. The factory vacuum petcock fails periodically. At best, it’s a pain in the ass. At worst fuel flows into the cylinder and when you try to start the bike you encounter hydro-lock and bend con rods... It’s a bit old school, but it doesn’t take THAT long  to remember to switch it on and off :-)
7. Ducati Performance carbon fiber dash with analog tachometer. I don’t know why these bikes didn’t come stock with a tach, but this was the preferred remedy.
8. Ducati Performance carbon fiber “beer tray” rear panel and license bracket. This is the best way to clean up the back end without cutting the frame rails. It works.
9. LED tail light bulb. These bikes just eat up incandescent 1157 bulbs, even the heavy duty truck bulbs. LED is the only way to have confidence that your tail light is on.
10. LED turn signals. Have you seen the stock units? ‘nuff said.
11. Luimoto seat recover. Really nice piece. Same shape as original but better materials and contrasting texture.

That’s all I can remember for the moment.

Now....time for the warts....
1. The biggest are two tank dings. No high speed offs; stupid stuff like taking off with the sidestand down, turning left and planting the stand...
2. Fairing scuff from said stupid off
3. Fender paint worn from brake line rubbing.
4. Gouge in swingarm from exhaust hanger bolt after said off bent the bracket (bracket since replaced). Not really noticeable with low exhaust, but if you want to mod to high exhaust, you’d want to fill and buff it.

If you look at blue book values, remember these points:
1. Book values I’ve seen are for base models; add for “S” model.
2. The fresh top end negates the “high” mileage (somehow we expect that Americans don’t actually ride their motorcycles).

I hope the next person enjoys this bike as much as I have. I wish I had the luxury of keeping this one.

$4200 takes it away.

I'm taking the bike up to Eric's (Clubhouse Motorsports) to get the carbs sorted. It will be ready for sale as soon as we're done.

Thanks for reading.

Don
CRASH!

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »

Update:

I spent a couple of hours with Eric today to learn that everything was good with the motor, ignition and carbs. Turns out my problem is that the fuel tank isn't flowing!

Several years ago I had Norm weld up the hinge plate waytogo and POR15 the inside. The coating is coming apart and sporadically blocking fuel flow. So I'm going to get the POR15 solvent and clean it out (that's why I selected POR15; because they have an effective solvent, unlike manufacturers of other coatings). The bike will then be a perfect runner.

However, the tank should be re-coated. I am choosing not to do that in case the buyer wants to get the dents repaired. Proper dent repair (pulling the dents instead of filling them) would destroy the coating. I'll apply a credit for coating.

I'm happy to work with a buyer to get any work done or to point to top notch professional repair (like some guy known as "Frosty").

Eric dialed the carbs in on a fuel bottle; everything's sync'ed and adjusted. Bike sounds great!

Don
caboteria

02 M750, 70 R50/5, 06 SV650

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »

Hey Don, sorry to see that you're selling, but it's a nice bike and good luck with the sale!

Didn't the '99 S have the Ohlins shock?  That would definitely be a plus if so.
CRASH!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

The S model specs were all over the place for a few years. Some literature did indicate the '99 S had Ohlins, but I'm told they came to the US without.

I upgraded but have since removed to sell separately.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: