Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 07:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear: Alpinestars Vika leather suit  (Read 6087 times)
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« on: November 05, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

Greetings ladies - don't know how many of you are gear or general moto news consumers, so I thought I'd drop this info here

Alpinestars is/has come out with a two-piece suit that is, supposedly, constructed from the group up for the female rider. Not just a mildly altered mens item with some 'feminine' graphics or colors that's really just lame pandering. It does seem better suited (sorry bad pun) than other suits that I've seen ladies at the track wearing. But to date I've only seen photos of it on Alpinestars site, and Hellforleather. And the woman in the Hellforleather piece does happen to be a model. *But* she does ride.

Hope this is useful for someone.

*Edit
Revzilla has a video, and one of their staffers wearing the suit and it seems it's sold as separates, not a suit.
!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:13:09 AM by Slide Panda » Logged

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Stella

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »

Maybe by the time I get a replacement bike they'll have a design for the shorter, not so "svelte...european...5'10"...longer build" female rider.

Wink

Regardless, nice that some manufacturers are paying more attention to women's gear needs!  Thanks for sharing Panda! waytogo

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »

I did roll my eyes a bit at the HellForLeather piece. Yes she does ride, but no, she's not your average build.

I was glad to find the Revzilla run down when they have it on a staffer to give a bit more realistic sense.

I think it's cool they are making more specific items now, but there's still a way to go. This is *probably* better than a lot of option out there for you ladies, but it's still down the ladder in terms of overall max protection. Though it's a two-piece suit with full zip, thus meeting the criteria for most track days, I'd not want someone hitting the track in that suit.

But perhaps it marks the start of getting better women's gear on the market. The materials and construction tech is getting better n better and less costly so one hopes the makers might move to a bit more parity.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »

I did roll my eyes a bit at the HellForLeather piece. Yes she does ride, but no, she's not your average build.

I was glad to find the Revzilla run down when they have it on a staffer to give a bit more realistic sense.

I think it's cool they are making more specific items now, but there's still a way to go. This is *probably* better than a lot of option out there for you ladies, but it's still down the ladder in terms of overall max protection. Though it's a two-piece suit with full zip, thus meeting the criteria for most track days, I'd not want someone hitting the track in that suit.

But perhaps it marks the start of getting better women's gear on the market. The materials and construction tech is getting better n better and less costly so one hopes the makers might move to a bit more parity.

I recently purchased an Alpinestars two-piece perforated Stella track day suit to replace the Rev-It two piece that split at the knee and came apart at the shoulder when I went down in November at a track day.  It seems better made than the Rev-It but not quite as good as my Dainese Ducati "Corporate" two-piece women's suit (which also was crashed in two years ago with no real damage to the suit).

Having said all that, though, why the ding on two piece track suits?  (I wear a separate back protector, always).
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

Please note the *that suit* in my statement. That Vilka and your Stella suit are different. The Stella suit is built with track days or aggressive road rides in mind. Though I don't have the specs at hand - I'd wager there thicker leather present in the Stella as well as more of it vs. textile panels if you ran a comparison of the two suits.

While a 1pc would still be queen of the hill,i a proper 2pc would be just fine for one just getting into track days. IMO that Vilka suit is better than a lot and would probably do for an intro level beginner group rider.  But something sturdier would be wise for one who has hit fast beginner and beyond.

Also for the track a 1pc is more comfortable. You don't have a waist band digging in during cornering gymnastics nor the bulk of the overlap of jacket to pants that a 2pc will have. Also a 1pc will (at least should) have stretch panels in the low back allowing more flexibility there over many 2pc set ups.

Obviously 1pc suits have more logistical concerns making them less practical for day to day rides. But there's alway trades.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply - that all makes sense.  Wearing my back protector does require a larger waist size than I'd normally use when I wear a two piece track suit.  One of these days, though, I'll spring for a one-piece but the cost and trying to find one that fits "off the rack" have been less than fun so the women's two piece suits have been the path of least resistance, if that makes sense?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »

Yeah a full length back protector has to be sized for - they can add a good bit to any torso measurement. Also chest protection should be accounted for when sizing. Also if you opt for armored or padded shorts one must factor those in too.  So much to remember

And trouble fitting off the rack makes perfect sense. Back a while I wanted to get a purpose made 2pc. But there was sufficient difference between the jacket size I needed and the pant size I needed that it wasn't going to work. So separates were the way I had to go.  Now things are a little closer so things aren't such a mess for sizing.

Set up a saved search or searches on eBay for suits. That's how I recently picked up a $1300 suit, new with tags for half that after shipping. I can take some time, but patience can lead to good deals

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: