Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pothole almost got the best of me.  (Read 3720 times)
Latinbalar

« on: June 30, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »

So this nasty pothole/sink hole comes out of no where. It jerked my hands away from the handle bars the bars then hit full lock left and right then the rear wheel hit then the bike corrected it self and then held on the handle bars. and i was back on my way. Definatly had one of those "Ohh Shit!!" moments.

I live vicariously thru myself......
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »

So this nasty pothole/sink hole comes out of no where. It jerked my hands away from the handle bars the bars then hit full lock left and right then the rear wheel hit then the bike corrected it self and then held on the handle bars. and i was back on my way. Definatly had one of those "Ohh Shit!!" moments.

Was there any way to avoid the pothole?  Glad you saved it, but the easiest save is when you avoid the hazard.  waytogo[moto]

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »

i've had a few of those oh shit moments myself...
glad you came out ok Smiley
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »

So this nasty pothole/sink hole comes out of no where.   .........................

It just came running to create problems? Huh? Wink

Anyhow - it's good to hear that the bike is capable of so much self correction - glad you saved the day waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Latinbalar

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:43:40 AM »

I always avoid potholes when i notice them. This particular one was on my every day route that just formed maybe a few days ago and i was just cruising along.  But trust me im the one most happy i made it out of that one, thanks for your conern.

I live vicariously thru myself......
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »

Check your rims for damage. I hit one in the shadows mid-corner at a pretty good clip,   Evil noticed it 2 weeks later when taking a break and BS'ing during a ride. Still held air and I rode that bike that way till it left me...

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
johnster

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »

Check your rims for damage.

+1.  Also, you may want to check your steering stops. They've been known to crack or gouge when hit hard. Mine did when I dropped my bike going into my driveway last year, and I had to replace the snapped stop bolt!!  bang head

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »

Way luckier than me. I spranged the rim on my new (less than 2000 miles) 08 tricolore. It was a nasty piece of degraded concrete on the backside of a RR crossing. No way to stop. I unweighted the bike but whamo. Bent rim. It's now at the shop (been 2 weeks already) and I'm dealing with the RR on paying for it. Wish me luck.If I had it to do over again I would have nailed the throttle and wheelied over it.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »

It jerked my hands away from the handle bars the bars then hit full lock left and right then the rear wheel hit then the bike corrected it self and then held on the handle bars. and i was back on my way.

So what do you think?  Did the fact that the movement was violent enough to pull the bars from your hands what saved you? 

I know trying to hold on tight and fighting the bike probably would have contributed to a tank slapper but the idea of being totally "no-hands" in this situation is a bit counter-intuitive.  If I happen to blunder into a hole I just try to keep everything more or less constant, hang loose, and hope for the best.   What is the "recommended" thing to do in this situation?

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
Massinova

Kiss my IZ_ butt

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »

I live in pot-hole hell (Tulsa Oklahoma).  Its to the point that on some roads you spend more time dodging pot-holes than paying attention to traffic.    I've hit  a few to make me wonder if my bike sustained damage.  Roll Eyes   The scariest ones are the linear potted-ruts formed along expansion joints that are parallel the road and are in the lane.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: