Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 05, 2024, 07:17:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Italy moto trip ?  (Read 6654 times)
mookieo2

« on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »

Well I'm finally going to get my chance to ride some great roads in Italy. I will get there on July 16 after I get on the ferry from my in laws house in Croatia, where I would have spent the last week and a half between Zadar and Dubrovnik. My friends are going home. My wife and her cousin are going to visit a friend in Munich. So that leaves me with 4 days in Italy.  Grin

I'm staying with a friend in Bologna who is going to ride with me. I need to rent a bike; not sure from where or what bike to get and I am not sure of where and how much I can ride in those days. I think I'm being too ambitious. I would like to take a quick trip for most of a day to Florence and see some Medieval castles since that is the one thing I didn't get to do when I was there a few years back. The Futa pass would be at least one way there or back. I also want to go north to the Dolomites or somewhere in the Alps to ride some mountain pass's ( Stelvio pass?). In my head my schedule would be to get there on the 16th pick up bike and go to Florence then come back to Bologna. Day 2  Ducati museum and maybe some more riding or just hang out. Leave early the next morning and head to Alps, ride all day, stay over then take time riding home, return bike in the morning and fly home the following day. I'm used to riding 500 miles on a Sunday so a long seat time isn't a problem but I also want to enjoy the sites and culture. ( Mostly Food and Gelato)

Any tips would be appreciated. If anyone will be in the area you're welcome to join in.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

Bologna to anywhere worth going (Alps/Dolomites) is 200 miles of total boredom and it takes longer than you think by just looking at a map. Once you get there, it'll be worth it though. Drink more water than you think you need to and add some salt/mineral pills.

My suggestion:
Day 1   Bologna - Firenze - Bologna
(drop the factory - not worth it compared to an extra day of riding)
Day 2   Bologna - Cortina or Bormio. Check in at the hotel and choose between a beer or a short local ride.
Day 3   explore the area from the hotel base camp (Stelvio is famous, but the Cortina roads are MUCH better)
Day 4   short local ride and then return to Bologna

Google Ducati rental in Bologna for a bike or let your friend find it for you.

Do it  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

4 days is Plenty of time. Those suggestions ^^ sound pretty good.  I know Bolzano Ducati had Ducs and Moto Morinis to rent last time I was there. I would go to the factory/Museum if this will be your only time in the area just to say you did it! You can easily see it in less than two hours of you don't do a tour or read the history of each bike.  Plenty of castles to see on the roads to Florence and up to The Dolomites. The ride up there is well worth it. A good town to stay in up there is Merano or Bolzano.  I've stayed in both. Short rides to the Dolomites from there.

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Raux
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »

IIRC there are some roads between Milan and Bologna that are famous riding areas.
The guys that went to the 2010 WDW could tell you more as I think they hit the Monza race and then did some twisties and then hit WDW in Misano.

There's a famous road for locals in the Schio/Rovereto

ah yes here it is SS46... burned up the brakes on my TR7 on this road years ago.

http://my.lifeinitaly.com/threads/5489-SS46-Rovereto-to-Schio-on-Two-Wheels
mookieo2

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:09 AM »

Thanks guys that's some great information. From the map it looks like a lot of amazing roads there. I can't wait. I think I'm going to see if I can grab a flight from Croatia to bologna if its not too expensive and get the bike a day earlier. I may be able to go to the Ducati museum the day I leave before my flight so I don't miss any major riding time.
mookieo2

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:58:01 AM »

Anyone have any suggestions on what bike to rent? I heard good things about the BMW F650gs or should I spend a little extra  and get the Hyperstrada. I'm just worried about the fuel consumption and capacity of the hyperstrada.  Any  recommendations on where to rent? It seems twowheeltravel.com has the best price for an unlimited mileage bike in Bologna.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:54 AM »

Anyone have any suggestions on what bike to rent? I heard good things about the BMW F650gs or should I spend a little extra  and get the Hyperstrada.

That's a trick question, right?  Grin

Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »

Ill be just north of Venice for the whole month of july WITH my bike (Woohoo!) if your gonna be in the area....

"Life's tough.  Its even tougher if your stupid!"

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-2009 Ducati Monster 696 Custom Mirrors, Renthal Bars, 6100 Miles
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Raux
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »

Ill be just north of Venice for the whole month of july WITH my bike (Woohoo!) if your gonna be in the area....
i knew this right?

mookieo2

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »

So it looks like I am getting an F800GS for the trip. The F700's are sold out and mostly because they take so long to get back to you that the few places I wanted to rent from took forever to get me a revised contract that the bikes weren't available anymore. So I am getting one from a place that gives you 250 km a day. I know I will have to pay for extra mileage. What is a reasonable distance that can be covered up in the mountains in a day? I think that I am being too ambitious and have a tentative route planned for 1300km for three days and another  200km for a short trip to Florence. I would like to go to Bormio and Cortina. It seems like there are a lot of good passes in Bormio but I'm not sure if it will be that much fun after awhile of going slow up hill on hairpin turns all day. It would probably be better to do a few of the really good passes and then head to Cortina where there looks like more higher speed sweepers.

Thoughts?

If anyone is in the area and wants to join feel free.
Raux
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »

I did 966 km in 14 hrs

Misano, Italy to Kaiserslautern, Germany

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

300 miles in a day is possible, but you won't enjoy it - during that day OR the next day.

I suggest dropping Bormio - good roads, but the main event in that area is Stelvio - which is mostly a trophy - only hairpins...

Focus on getting to Cortina - the arriving day will offer quality riding the last 100 miles or so - likewise, the departure day's morning will be good.

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »

Is that the gondal ride in the Dolomites?

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »

Is that the gondal ride in the Dolomites?

Yes  waytogo Not the only one AFAIK.

mookieo2

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »

Do you guys think we will have a problem finding a place to stay mid week in July? I doubt I can book anything because I can't predict where we will end up when we want to stop riding for the day.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: