Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 09:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Side view mirrors -- ok to not have or too unsafe???  (Read 8253 times)
kendallb

Monster 620

« on: April 24, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

Im seeing a lot of pics of monsters without side view mirrors. (not sure if they were removed for the sake of the pictures)

I realize its for cosmetic reasons and as i write this im considering changing(something less obtrusive) or (maybe)removing my circle stock mirrors on my 620.

Is it too unsafe to not have mirrors at all, and for those who do not, does this hinder your riding in anyway?

Thanks!!  Smiley
Triple J
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

I wouldn't ride without them.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »

Perhaps removed, or just covered by some trickery.

In VA, one only has to have a left side mirror. So if I had bar-ends like CRGs and shot the bike from the right, it would be pretty easy to make it look like I had no mirrors. On my 620, the Previous owner had mounted small convex mirrors fairly far in on clip ons. You viewed the world out from under your arm - but worked remarkably well and were almost invisible if not pointed out.

But it's not wise, nor (probably) legal to have no mirrors on you bike. And there's plenty of more visually appealing mirror set ups - visit the Accessories and Mods section. Run a search and you'll find a ton

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
El-Twin

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

^^^ This is a well-reasoned and helpful response.

As for me, I say it's your a$$, so you can decide for yourself if you're prepared to meet the Sausage Creature.

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice

yea im all about safety first and for sure dont wanna wind up crashing. Doing a tail chop this weekend and wondered if i should do something about the mirrors too.

Looking around for some bar-ends maybe. But, the last thing i wanna do is spend all of my time searching for tiny/oddly placed mirrors while im riding instead of focusing on the road.

So i may just stick with the stock. They're big and not easy to miss.
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »

I prefer bar end mirrors to the stock ones on most bikes. They give a great view behind without obstructions, are easy to glance at quickly, and they look cool. I've always ran the CRG ones.
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »

I prefer bar end mirrors to the stock ones on most bikes. They give a great view behind without obstructions, are easy to glance at quickly, and they look cool. I've always ran the CRG ones.

Any issues splitting traffic lanes with those? i notice they give about an extra 2 inches on either side of the grips. With crappy traffic in LA splitting lanes is a huge perk.

Perhaps adjustable to fit more over the grips?
Triple J
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »

I'm in WA...no idea as we can't split. I do believe CRG makes a mode that can be rotated in though.
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

yea, just saw that they do make crg lane split mirrors that are retractable. Also in the event you clip someone they arent stationary as not to impede your forward progress. .. Great!!

think i'll grab a pair of those.
skurvy

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

I lost one of my mirrors a while back and while I was waiting for the replacement I rode mirror-less for a day. For me it's not worth it. I admit it looks cool but I'm too used to having them that I kept looking for them when changing lanes. Another thing, I didn't like not being able to see what was coming up behind be while stopped at a light.

ab
ab

ab

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:18 AM »

Got only 1 Crg on right side.  Didn't realize the law requires it to be on left side per one of the posts here.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
bob795

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 02:31:33 AM »

I use the mirrors every time I change lane, pass other vehicles, at the stop light ... I think I use it all the time, so to me I would feel unsafe to ride without mirrors.

2011 Husqvarna TE 630
2012 Monster 795
2002 Sportster 883/1200 (sold)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »

NC requires whatever number of mirrors are stock on a particular bike.  That being said, the only time I use them is while stopped at red lights and checking my six when riding a little on the quick side.

As far as merging/changing lanes, I don't use them, but actually look behind me.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
duc996

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »

Like the_journeyman, i only use my left side mirror when in traffic ,i'm so used to looking behind me all the times that the mirrors become useless.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 05:41:46 AM »

Like the_journeyman, i only use my left side mirror when in traffic ,i'm so used to looking behind me all the times that the mirrors become useless.

I'm typically the same way, except I only use my right mirror - mostly at lights and changing lanes to the right.  on slabs i typically park it in the left lane because then I can concentrate more on whats going on to behind, to the right, and in front of me without having to worry as much about someone merging into me from the left or what have you.  also, i find it much easier to head check to the left because I can take my left hand off the controls and get a solid look, it's harder on the right to do that for obvious reasons.  maybe i need to work on my mobility...

may be kind of odd, but there's my two cents.

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: