Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:30:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding in a strong cross wind  (Read 8043 times)
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »

I think riding in a strong cross wind on my bike is just about the most uncomfortable conditions that I can think of.  Of course if you through in strong rain, it is even worse.  Since I have moved to Texas I've experienced much more in the way of side winds.  Sometimes I'm leaned over as if taking a fast corner.  Things I think about when riding in a strong cross wind are: being blown out of my lane into oncoming traffic, getting blown into the ditch, how do I lean into a corner when I'm already leaned over for the wind?, what happens if the wind suddenly stops, or if there is a sudden huge gust?  If I'm leaned to my right but must lean left in the next corner how am I going to know the proper lean angle (this always seems to take care of itself, somehow.)   I remember watching MotoGP a few years ago, and on the warmup lap (I believe it was Phillipe Island) Casey Stoner was blown off of his bike.  Which leads to my biggest concern (okay, this may be irrational) crossing a canyon on a bridge in which the canyon acts as a wind tunnel and blasts me over the guard rail.  It hasn't happen yet but there was a time when crossing the Pecos River on a 400' high bridge and we were hit by a 40 + mph cross wind.  When I made it across I stopped and kissed the ground.

Any tips or stories of riding in strong cross winds?

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
bikepilot

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »

The trick is to use the bars to quickly lean the bike in a manner to counter-act the wind or sudden lack of wind.  Done properly the bike will move around under you, but your body and the top of the bike will hardly move at all even with dramatic wind (even ridden right though a hurricane Tongue)

I've ridden all over the country so seen a lot of wind over the years.  Three summers ago was the most extreme persistant wind for me though. Crossing South Dakota I met a sustained 70mph wind blowing down from the north - I was was traveling west-east at the time.  I was on a 919 with 6 weeks worth of crap strapped to the bike.  The wind was so hard I had to use my right arm to keep the tank bag on as it was blowing off sideways. Had no troubles though and still punched through without delay.

Trickiest bit was the ~40 miles of sandy dirt road I had planned into my route.  There's a great shortcut if you are going though SD btw... but the trouble was that the wind was so strong that on the sandy dirt road the tires simply didn't have enough lateral grip to sustain the lean angle necessary to counter the wind. Fortunately the road was really wide and equally empty.  I rode along on the far left side of the road and tried to catch the many small ruts with the tires for a bit of extra lateral grip.    I also ended up riding with the back end kicked out, crabbing the bike up the road - think a flat-tracker looking situation, only in a straight line  laughingdp

I've crossed some canyon bridges with strong winds too.  Same rules apply, use the steering to quickly counter the wind.  On asphalt you've enough grip to counter all but a tornado - I wasn't even close to out of grip with a 70mph wind and that was with a loaded up bike that surely caught a bunch more wind than a unloaded machine. Also I find it helps if, just like cornering, you keep your body's CG slightly to the inside of the bike's CG or at least don't let the opposite happen.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Twizted

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:36:34 AM »

Grip the fuel tank tightly with your thighs instead of death gripping the bars so you still feel planted to the bike but loose up top to better counter steer the buffeting of the wind.
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »

That is scary! I experienced the worst ever yesterday. Then there is the trucks or buses going the opposite way which break the wind for a second...wow! Gripping the tank with the knees helps as mentioned and bar pressure into the wind, forget proper road position, you will get blown around everywhere, just remember if riding in a group to give each other room and not crowd the other person, that way they are focused on moving forward and not looking back and beside them.

* I had to edit, didn't make sense when I read it again, sometimes I swear someone screws with it for the fun of it*
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:03:38 AM by Duc796canada » Logged

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »

I think that I might try this the next time I'm fighting a strong crosswind in the desert or on the prairie.  Find a motel and register for the night.  Take a shower, have a good meal, and get up before dawn the next morning to begin riding at sunup.  Mornings often have less wind which builds during the day.   

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »

I think that I might try this the next time I'm fighting a strong crosswind in the desert or on the prairie.  Find a motel and register for the night.  Take a shower, have a good meal, and get up before dawn the next morning to begin riding at sunup.  Mornings often have less wind which builds during the day.   

After my experience two day ago, I don't blame you there!! it is not something I want to experience if I don't have to! Especially when you have cagers in there comfortable chariots wondering why you are going so slow and tail-gating you!!! They have no idea sitting in the comfort of their vehicles!!

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
ducati culture

My freedom is worth my life and my soul..........

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:13:44 AM »

This was pretty good reading!  popcorn

ccm900

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »

I've often wondered about this as well. I'm really curious about fully faired bikes also, since my monster is the only bike I've ever ridden. Does anybody have experience with a fully faired bike in the wind? Is it worse, the same, or better? Opinions? I would think the forward motion resistance would be better, but crosswind worse.
Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »

I learned to ride in the mountains of E. TN and WNC, where wind wasn't really an issue. Now that I live on the coast, it's a whole different story. I have to cross several long bridges to get to decent riding spots, the shortest being 3.5 miles long. More often than not, I'm just praying that the wind doesn't stop blowing.  laughingdp

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
aj7840

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

The slab sided BMW K12GT does get moved around a lot in a crosswind compared to the Ducati.

A relaxed grip on the bars, grab the tank with your knees/thighs. You will be leaned into the wind, the light grip on the bars helps self correct for the gusts. You get used to it and can usually stay within about a foot of wander. The Mackinaw bridge can be really "fun" when you have to ride the grating and have a wind too. Its only about 3/4 mile of grating and the wind comes up through the grating.

It is possible to make a left turn with the bike hard leaned to right into the wind, and vice versa.  Riding out of Glacier National Park, we watched a 5th wheel get blow over. We should have parked but the bikes were more controllable moving and eventually it was a tailwind headed east.

00 M900IE - the fun bike  (Ducati #4)
18 Triumph Bonneville T120 for two up ridding
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »

A consistent cross wind is fairly easy to deal with.  It is when it gets gusty...   I was heading over the San Marcos Pass once during a huge Santa Ana wind event.  It was dark and every time I came up on a little canyon (Not able to see the canyons) I would get blown right out of my lane into the oncoming lane.  It was so bad I gave up pulled over and planned on spending the night on the side of the road.  A CHP came along after about an hour and drove the rest of the pass with me right on the left side of the car (lights on even) so he could break the wind for me and I could get off the pass.

I was quite grateful.  Winds were in excess of 100mph coming through those canyon slots........

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
ccm900

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »

A consistent cross wind is fairly easy to deal with.  It is when it gets gusty...   I was heading over the San Marcos Pass once during a huge Santa Ana wind event.  It was dark and every time I came up on a little canyon (Not able to see the canyons) I would get blown right out of my lane into the oncoming lane.  It was so bad I gave up pulled over and planned on spending the night on the side of the road.  A CHP came along after about an hour and drove the rest of the pass with me right on the left side of the car (lights on even) so he could break the wind for me and I could get off the pass.

I was quite grateful.  Winds were in excess of 100mph coming through those canyon slots........

I know where you are talking about, the winds get crazy through there!

I was just riding yesterday on the 101 south through San Luis Obispo, once you get to Avila Beach the freeway gets higher and the mountains suddenly disappear. I've ridden this spot plenty of times but this time as I was making the banked turn up the hill leaning slightly to the right...the mountains left, and I was hit with a huge gust of wind all of a sudden. It pushed me upright and I went over to the shoulder almost into the gravel but I backed off and was able to keep it out of the rocks. Steady winds are fine, it's the sudden gusts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: