Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 02:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati sales down 5% in first quarter 2013  (Read 28635 times)
Drjones

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:58 AM »

Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see a ST4 revival one day as there are those who want a full fairing mileage eater.  It'd take either A) Ducati having the capital resources to support two bike lines with very similar market share or B) the "dual sport" fad waning off enough to kill the Multi and bring back an ST.

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

I don't really see that happening.

No one really looks at the Multi as a DS bike. Despite Ducatis insistance that it's '4 bikes in 1' the masses have (rightly IMO) decided that it's a great light sport tour bike.

Bringing back the ST would compete for the market share with the Multi - which is hitting it out of the park by all reasonable measures.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »

I don't really see that happening.

No one really looks at the Multi as a DS bike. Despite Ducatis insistance that it's '4 bikes in 1' the masses have (rightly IMO) decided that it's a great light sport tour bike.

Bringing back the ST would compete for the market share with the Multi - which is hitting it out of the park by all reasonable measures.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Asphalt and Rubber has some great pieces about the Ducati business plan. They have a bike in almost every segment, to the scorn of some of the ducati faithfull. But doing that allows them to pour money into R&D so we can get crazy bikes like the 1199 which drives interest in their other bikes.

My break brief breakdown of the line up
SBKs           - 848/1199 - It will be interesting to see the 848 successor to say the least.
Cruiser        - Diavel      - Ducati's push to grab some of those baby boomer dollars away from harley/other cruisers bikes with big MSRPs
Standard     - Monster   - The money maker. Bring riders into the ducati fold early and you can get them for life(or a SBK or two).
Adv/Touring - Multi        - As slide panda said, more of a sport tourer than a true adv bike. Ties into the racing culture with pikes peak.
Naked SBK   - SF848      - The odd bike out. Maybe they update it with the new baby panigale motor. Maybe we get our wish for a new S4.
Motard/DS   - Hyper      - What segment would you put the motard in? It's too heavy/powerful to be a supermoto. Looks like a DS but has none of the off road capability.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »

My break brief breakdown of the line up
SBKs           - 848/1199 - It will be interesting to see the 848 successor to say the least.
Cruiser        - Diavel      - Ducati's push to grab some of those baby boomer dollars away from harley/other cruisers bikes with big MSRPs
Standard     - Monster   - The money maker. Bring riders into the ducati fold early and you can get them for life(or a SBK or two).
Adv/Touring - Multi        - As slide panda said, more of a sport tourer than a true adv bike. Ties into the racing culture with pikes peak.
Naked SBK   - SF848      - The odd bike out. Maybe they update it with the new baby panigale motor. Maybe we get our wish for a new S4.
Motard/DS   - Hyper      - What segment would you put the motard in? It's too heavy/powerful to be a supermoto. Looks like a DS but has none of the off road capability.

Putting my prognostication hat back on - I came damn close with my Multi 848 predictions in that HyperStrada - I see the SF getting dropped. Might take a couple years, but in that time frame we'll probably see that transition to a more and more reaching 100% water cooled bikes. So at that point, we have water cooled monster(s) again. Water cooled Monster is really the niche that the SF occupies. No way the Monster will go away - they sell too many. So, in Thunderdome style... two bikes enter, one bike leaves.

I'd call the Multi a Sport Tour vs Tour. At least to me a tour bike is a gold wing or big bimmers etc. I see the multi competing more with the Triumph Sprint and such

Hyper - that's a hard on to peg. Motard ergos - but without some of the abilities (DS stuff). But it has that Hooligan appeal of the motard that keeps it attractive. Sitting on one, you look all responsible, upright- tall in the saddle like a good-boy bike, not some villainous shoulders down, ass up Sport biker, oh no no no! But whack the throttle on a hyper and that f'er goes! Eh, like I said, hard to peg a label too, but Ducati did create something with appeal in that.

I might think that Ducati would do a 'select' (my term) line again, like the Sport Classics (not sure why the stopped anywho...) at some point - but they have the get 'that bug' again. 

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
muskrat

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

Looks like the Japs got the Motard to mate somewhere down the line http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/624/16172/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Honda-Grom-First-Look.aspx  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I2FNtbgXgPA#!

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »

Does Termi make a pipe for it?

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »

Looks like the Japs got the Motard to mate somewhere down the line

iz bike?

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »

If one parent was a Motard, the other must have been

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »

All air-cooled Ducati motors will be gone within 3 years (my prediction).

HIGHLY doubt that, but if it happens it will strictly be a marketing decision for Ducati. But I suspect they'll keep something around longer....time will tell.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »

So is HD suddenly going to be out of business or have to resort to using V-Rod motors in all their bikes? I guess I am confused about that even being a possibility.

Any year now there will be a water-cooled H-D in the traditional 45-degree layout. It's inevitable.

Their air-cooled stuff has such lean calibration to make EPA regs it's crazy, and they run super hot. There is programming in the ECU to cut ignition and fuel to the rear cylinder at a certain temp (like during parades or idling in traffic) in order to keep things cooler. 

Back to Ducatis, has anyone ridden the new HM with the 11-degree engine? I looked at one today, and it made me all tingly.  Evil

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
muskrat

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »

a power commander and you're done.  Thanks Cali.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »

Any year now there will be a water-cooled H-D in the traditional 45-degree layout. It's inevitable.

Their air-cooled stuff has such lean calibration to make EPA regs it's crazy, and they run super hot. There is programming in the ECU to cut ignition and fuel to the rear cylinder at a certain temp (like during parades or idling in traffic) in order to keep things
You're right. Coming soon in their touring bikes.
http://thekneeslider.com/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 05:26:00 AM »

Oh those will be fun to work on. My house has less plumbing

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »

a power commander and you're done.  Thanks Cali.

waytogo

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »

The new Indian/Polaris Thunderstroke engine is air cooled.  Polaris would have designed it to hang around for a while.  I hope Polaris is not the only company that can build EPA legal air cooled -oil too- V-twins in the next few years.  Indian and Victory.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: