Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:48:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cicada time  (Read 4020 times)
Real Recognize Real

« on: May 19, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »

Since the latest cicada brood is supposed to appear very soon, I wanted to ask the locals if they have had the pleasant experience of riding through a swarm? Is it anything to be concerned about besides cleaning the face shield when one of those effers hit you?

Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

Icing the bruises if you hit them at speed.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »

Be sure to wear your leathers and gloves with hard knuckles. They weigh a good bit for a bug, so a hit can carry some force depending on your speed

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:29 AM »

Be sure to wear your leathers and gloves with hard knuckles. They weigh a good bit for a bug, so a hit can carry some force depending on your speed

and wear a surgical shield.  they splash a good bit.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Autohag

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »

I'm ready!

JoeP

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »

I'm ready!

applause It kinda even looks like a cicada!
tocino

96 900 SS/CR, 75 Guzzi 850-T, 74 MkIIa Commando

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »

I'm ready!

That's hilarious

"Purchase this fine motorbike and you will find yourself swimming in a ocean of pre-feminist, lose-moraled women in see-through clothing without any buttons." - PipeBurn
Real Recognize Real

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »

After spotting several of them in Fredericksburg this weekend, I started thinking about riding through cicada season. I don't have leathers so I'll just make do with my Rev'it Sand gear.

Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Raux
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »

plastic rain suit... just wash off with the hose when you get home
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »

plastic rain suit... just wash off with the hose when you get home

or collect them for goulash

Raux
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

i was riding a moped one time, maybe 15mph, and got hit in the throat... thought i was going to die.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »

i was riding a moped one time, maybe 15mph, and got hit in the throat... thought i was going to die.

wow, that would be like getting punched by a baby

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »

I remember the last brood when I took one in the shoulder at 80mph just below the shoulder armor/padding in a 1st generation Joe Rocket Pheonix mesh jacket and that son of a gun hurt....

also...the splatter on your helmet/visor will be REALLY messy...if you have a visor wiper...have it ready at all times because at highway speed, your vision will be severely impaired really quick....this is in addition to have the cleaning stuff ready!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Raux
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »

wow, that would be like getting punched by a baby
ok maybe going faster... it was right on my adam's apple
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

ok maybe going faster... it was right on my adam's apple

you'd have to be going much faster than 15mph!

if you "thump" with your finger, that's moving at about 50 mph

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: