Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 03:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing Chain and Sprockets  (Read 2047 times)
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« on: July 04, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »

So I screwed up the maintenance of my chain.  I noticed on a ride the other day that the chain is actually starting to rust... bang head bang head bang head bang head

So in addition to getting new tires installed next week, I thought I would try and get ahead of the curve this time and just replace the chain and sprockets and consider it a lesson learned.  (I'm paying the price for not cleaning the bike thoroughly enough from a ride I took in January through road slop and road salt. bang head bang head)

So I did my research and I learn my 695 takes a 520 width chain, 110 links (106 according to CA-Cycleworks Huh?), a 15T front socket and a 46T rear socket.  BTW - I'm used to the 15T and really don't want to switch to a 14T.

I found this place - www.sprocketcenter.com - that sells complete kits, chain cut to length based on application.

Does anyone have experience with this retailer?

Does this sound like a good deal AND a good solution? (from my research it seems to be - cost is $199.95):

Product Information
This 520 conversion kit with RK 520 GXW series gold chain and the Supersprox STEALTH Tri-Metal Rear Sprocket make a unique and great looking upgrade for your drive-train. The STEALTH sprocket offers the long life of a steel sprocket, without the weight and the RK GXW series chain is the strongest 520 Chain we offer.
Each kit includes:

* one Drilled Lightweight Steel Front Sprocket
    * one STEALTH  Tri-Metal Rear Sprocket (GOLD)
    * RK 520GXW Series Gold Race Chain (cut to length)
    * one Rivet Style Master Link

Use the dropdowns to select a Stock set-up or change it up a bit and choose your own gearing. (Chain is cut to proper length based on your gearing and bike model)
If you have any questions about gearing, please call us!!!

I was kinda searching for the EK chains which have a screw-in master link that doesn't require a special chain rivet tool.  I suppose I'm going to have to ask my NYC area friends if they have that tool handy for the RK chain - provided the experts here think this package deal is a good one. Cool
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:31:17 AM by tommys67 » Logged

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
Aminul

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:25:55 AM »

I paid for my abuses with a new chain, too.  I recently purchased a DID chain with a clip type masterlink.  It was around $80cdn.  Both sprockets (14/46) came to around $70usd.  The masterlink took some force to put together, but no special chain tools required.  I used a dremel to cut the old chain off, and cut the new chain to the correct length.  The longest part was cleaning the crud around the front sprocket.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

Don't kick yourself too hard, the OEM chains don't have a long life.  Also, if the rust is surface rust the chain might be fine.  If you want I can give it a look.  I also have a decent chain rivit tool, rear stand, etc.  Sprocket Center is good, but I would buy from Chris Kelley,  http://www.ca-cycleworks.com.  Why, you ask?  Chris has been a long time supporter and he is a good guy.
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:21:31 AM »

Don't kick yourself too hard, the OEM chains don't have a long life.  Also, if the rust is surface rust the chain might be fine.  If you want I can give it a look.  I also have a decent chain rivit tool, rear stand, etc.  Sprocket Center is good, but I would buy from Chris Kelley,  http://www.ca-cycleworks.com.  Why, you ask?  Chris has been a long time supporter and he is a good guy.

Thanks for that, H, I placed the order with CA-Cycleworks last night just to be safe.  If you're around this week (Hiram's or Ear) I'll swing by.

I also need to be back up on Gun Hill Road (close to White Plains Ave) to pick up a car stereo getting repaired at a dicey little shop later this week.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:51:25 AM »

Thanks for that, H, I placed the order with CA-Cycleworks last night just to be safe.  If you're around this week (Hiram's or Ear) I'll swing by.

I also need to be back up on Gun Hill Road (close to White Plains Ave) to pick up a car stereo getting repaired at a dicey little shop later this week.

Are you going to pick up your stereo by bike?  Im pretty close to there.
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 07:09:45 AM »

Are you going to pick up your stereo by bike?  Im pretty close to there.

That's my plan.  I really don't want to make that trip again via subway in a work suit the way I did last week.  NOT fun.  I will be in touch with the shop in a few days and I'll let you know when I may be up that way.  I have a new set of tires all set in Brooklyn and it looks like I may have to wait a week to get those installed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: