Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:59:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cafe Racer  (Read 54294 times)
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

For some reason I cannot see the pictures

Anyone else have the same problem?

Only yours Sabre Brian

Mmick

I have been able to see them in the past, but not any more ... perhaps they have been moved/deleted and the links are broken?

Believe post content at your own risk.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »

They are still in the same place as before.  They are hosted on my own website and my own web server so I am not sure.
I use the same pictures on another site and they work.  I can still see them here too.  I'm not sure.
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »

They are still in the same place as before.  They are hosted on my own website and my own web server so I am not sure.
I use the same pictures on another site and they work.  I can still see them here too.  I'm not sure.

It's like magic!

I haven't been back through everything, but I seem to be able to see the photos again now.

Believe post content at your own risk.
Sabre Brian

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 02:33:28 AM »

Blame the internets.  It's their fault
monstermick58

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:14 AM »

Yep, good as gold, the pictures are back  applause

If I'm thinking right (oright you lot settle down) the KZ 550 shaftie was an American model and the GT550 was our touring model they also had a GT750 which looked exactly the same (even the colour was the same) as the GT550, they used to have a built in rack at the back.

I don't think Australia got the KZ550 as it was a cruiser style of bike that wasn't popular back then.

Apologies if this has previously been discussed

Mmick

This won't hurt much.... Trust me......
Sabre Brian

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

I have learned lots more about them.  They are all virtually the same bike.  Yes the Aussie bike was a GT550, the yank one was KZ550-G1 and the UK was a Z550G.  So bloody confusing.  The differences between them all are minor, except it seems we got a TK carbie on the GT while overseas they got a Keihin.  All other differences are minor.  I have had great fun building the bike.  I have been bitten by the bug now.  I have an old 91 KDX 250 that I have started bringing back to life and a mate has a KLX250 that doesn't go and he wants to get rid of it so he said if I can fix it, I can have it, so those are my next 2 projects.  My little bloke also has a QR50 that needs some work, so I will be playing with bikes for quite a while now.
Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »

Well done!

IMNSHO Café bikes were about taking a smaller/cheaper bike and making it cool.

Did they also try to make them faster, sure, but that's because the bikes of the day were MUCH slower than most bikes today.

They rode their cobbled together racers on the ragged edge just trying to break the ton on something that really wasn't meant to.

To do so was both a challenge and a risk.

But hell any modern sportbike today is so ridiculously capable already that you're not going to gain 1 mph by hacking and throwing away parts.

Even non sportbikes today easily manage a ton.

So today a Café has become something else...and basing them on something slower makes sense. Closer to the original experience.

And besides, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
Sabre Brian

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »

Absolutely Kev, and I will tell you something else.  It's a big time head turner.

I love my monster.  It is my dream bike.  I always looked at Ducatis as the Ferrari of motorbikes.  I love every second I am on the thing, but unfortunately the public doesn't agree.  I often get people looking at my Duc.  If I walk back to the bike there is often someone standing there checking it out, but compared to the Kwaka, it is barely worth a look.  I can't go anywhere without someone complimenting the GT.  Other bike guys just seem to respect it and whenever they come up next to you they give you a wave or the thumbs up.  People just tend to love the Cafe bike.  Gotta admit, I do too.  It is so much fun to ride.  The only down side is that after riding the cafe bike, getting on the monster makes it feel like a trail bike.  Much higher and more upright.  I have to get used to my baby again after riding the GT. 

My next bit of fun is trying to bring a KDX250 back to life.  It is becoming interesting.  I will keep you posted on that too.  It will not look the same as before when I am done with it.
Bazz21

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »

http://pielsolo.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/solo-ducati.html those looking for a cheap cafe racer have alook here bloody awsome and cheap the 620 multis are not pulling much now

MAX SAYS MORE WOOM WOOMS
Sabre Brian

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

I would love to do a Ducati, but for now my focus is on tidying up this one and getting started on the next.
My dream is to do a mid 70s Bonneville cafe racer, and to have that and a Ducati in the garage would be
amazing.
Bazz21

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »

In my search I have found some really cheap ducs that were preaty rough ideal candidate for chopping 

MAX SAYS MORE WOOM WOOMS
Sabre Brian

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »

I took the Cafe Racer out to the racetrack to...well....be a racer.  Bad idea.  Complete lunching of engine on 2nd pass. 
First pass was a pretty unimpressive 15.6.  I was kinda hoping for a 14.

Anyway, went and bought a ZX14 drag bike instead.

Found a replacement engine for the GT/KZ which is now in but still not running.  LOL
mush360

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »

Here are a couple of pics of my café racer build  Wink
The Don

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2014, 03:53:49 AM »

I like....... A lot

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something. - Plato
Wells

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »

waytogo

2005 M620
Hi. I’m Troy McClure. You may remember me from such self-help tapes as “Smoke Yourself Thin” and “Get Some Confidence, Stupid!”
NYTimes: "...highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: