Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 03:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: broken hex bolt in clutch  (Read 1864 times)
dontbesojumpy

« on: July 05, 2008, 03:56:54 AM »

Jesus doesnt want me to have a motorbike that works. after getting my fourth clutch (only 2 have ever actually been in the bike to make it go) we have yet another issue. i put in the latest clutch, everything went fine, but i forgot to actuate the pushrod before closing everything up. long story short, a bold broke off down in the hub post. it was a bad bolt, it sheared in the middle as i went to untighten it ( and i tightened to ducati shop manual inch-pounds correctly, too.)

so. i've had trouble getting a tap in to pull it because it's such an uneven break. i started to try to drill for the tap but it slipped and took some threads off the inside of the post. so, deep in the pit of my stomach, something tells me that even if we magically get the broken bolt out, the fact some threads are gone makes this clutch useless. i imagine the tolerances are low so the missing threads weaken that post to the point of uselessness...?

or can this be salvaged.

someone please tell me the "or can this be salvaged" thing...please...

also, ask God why i'm not supposed to have a bike. or tell my ex to knock off the motorcycle voodoo...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »

I think you'll get better responses in tech, so I'm going to move this.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

brad black

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:30:52 AM »

you mean a screw that holds a spring in?

what sort of bike is it - you might be able to get away with 4 springs anyway, solving the issue.

apart from that, i see you having little joy from what you're describing.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
dontbesojumpy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:08:04 AM »

you mean a screw that holds a spring in?

what sort of bike is it - you might be able to get away with 4 springs anyway, solving the issue.

apart from that, i see you having little joy from what you're describing.

it's an 04 monster dark (620i.e.)

i worry so much because my last clutch failed when three of the six (or however many) posts broke for the springs. the posts BROKE. i guess too much tension or something, or uneven tension. i was thinking of taking it to a machine shop to try to extract it but i dunno. i also thought of drilling it out (probably ruining the threads for the next bolt) but j.b. welding the new bolt seated to the correct spring tension to keep it all afloat.

no. no joy. i left out the part of the story where i bought a clutch used pre-assembled by a mechanic so i didnt have to mess with it and a teensy bolt fell down between hub and basket and cracked the hub before i could even get it on. so i'm buying used clutches like meals lately.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:03:48 AM »

My redneck engineering solution would be to:

Square up another bolt in the drill press vice and using whatever bit will self-center in the top of the bolt, just put a dimple in the bottom of the hex recess.  Centering a small bit in that dimple, drill down the center of the bolt a fair ways, and cut off the balance.  Thread the drilled piece into the post until it just bottoms out on the remainder of the broken bolt.  Drill into the broken bolt, back out the centering bolt and use a slightly larger left hand bit to pull out the broken bolt.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
dontbesojumpy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »

My redneck engineering solution would be to:

Square up another bolt in the drill press vice and using whatever bit will self-center in the top of the bolt, just put a dimple in the bottom of the hex recess.  Centering a small bit in that dimple, drill down the center of the bolt a fair ways, and cut off the balance.  Thread the drilled piece into the post until it just bottoms out on the remainder of the broken bolt.  Drill into the broken bolt, back out the centering bolt and use a slightly larger left hand bit to pull out the broken bolt.

have you ever heard brian regan's bit about UPS and their 'girth formula for boxes?' reminds me of this. just kidding i think you're on to something. i'm going to try again tomorrow.
johnster

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

Those posts, for whatever reason, are VERY brittle.  Undecided

It's possible to run a dry clutch with 4 springs and just leave two opposite spring posts empty. I would imagine there shouldn't be any reason wy this wouldn't work on a wet clutch, right? Huh? Have you considered that?

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
dontbesojumpy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »

Those posts, for whatever reason, are VERY brittle.  Undecided

It's possible to run a dry clutch with 4 springs and just leave two opposite spring posts empty. I would imagine there shouldn't be any reason wy this wouldn't work on a wet clutch, right? Huh? Have you considered that?

again, my last clutch failed when at least one post broke causing a chain reaction of breakage. no one i've talked to have a good ascertation as to what went wrong, but i assume it was too tight springs. one failed the others followed. that seems to be the best explaination.

so i'm really reluctant to skip posts. i'm going to try tomorrow (i hope tomorrow) to jig it up in a press and see what damage i can do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: