Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 07, 2024, 01:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding from the TX, USA border to San Jose, Costa Rica or beyond  (Read 11608 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »

Buck, you ever do this?

popcorn

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »

Buck, you ever do this?

popcorn

Nope. Sad my bike crapped out shortly after this great idea. Then I decided I was gonna shoot for Mexico City as a less intense journey with fewer border hassles. But now I'm planning on even safer trip from San Diego down the Baja coast to Cabo. I'm not afraid for my safety but I am afraid of losing my bike. I'll definitely have a cool trip to report this winter because I'm getting out of OH before it gets miserably cold but it won't be nearly as radical as I'd originally aspired to. Why, do you speak Spanish and wanna come? That would boost my confidence immeasurably Smiley

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

My spanish is enough to get me to a bathroom or hospital, but that's about it.

Reason I asked was because I have a similar trip in the back of my mind, but I would plan to go through S. America, too.  Joined ADV like you, but not really active, just creeping and gathering info.  If I did it, it would be 2 years from now---"if" being the key word since, as you can attest, these trips are often abandoned as life gets in the way.

I did buy some camping gear and saddle bags this year specifically with the plan of using for moto travel.  Used once very successfully.  Small and light, so if you're in the market I can recommend a few things.  I hope to get one more moto-camping trip in this fall...

Re: Baja...I'm sure you've done/will do your research, but just know that the stretch basically from Ensenada to Cabo is barren.  Aside from the obvious fact that a breakdown may leave you stranded, this has two other consequences:

1) gas stations are very far apart (200+ miles I think)---make sure you've done the math and have the proper extra container(s) with enough petro to get you from one station to the next.

2)  truckers drive like madmen because it's boring and barren; they are on trucker "uppers" to stay awake and barreling down the highway.  Stay alert.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »

My spanish is enough to get me to a bathroom or hospital, but that's about it.

Reason I asked was because I have a similar trip in the back of my mind, but I would plan to go through S. America, too.  Joined ADV like you, but not really active, just creeping and gathering info.  If I did it, it would be 2 years from now---"if" being the key word since, as you can attest, these trips are often abandoned as life gets in the way.

I did buy some camping gear and saddle bags this year specifically with the plan of using for moto travel.  Used once very successfully.  Small and light, so if you're in the market I can recommend a few things.  I hope to get one more moto-camping trip in this fall...

Re: Baja...I'm sure you've done/will do your research, but just know that the stretch basically from Ensenada to Cabo is barren.  Aside from the obvious fact that a breakdown may leave you stranded, this has two other consequences:

1) gas stations are very far apart (200+ miles I think)---make sure you've done the math and have the proper extra container(s) with enough petro to get you from one station to the next.

2)  truckers drive like madmen because it's boring and barren; they are on trucker "uppers" to stay awake and barreling down the highway.  Stay alert.

Good to know, because I didn't.  I do know that Baja is one of the most hassle free parts of Mexico for gringo to experience because of the lack of requirements for a visa or vehicle registration/fee. And south of Tijuana (although I go there every year and have been dozens of times) there is very little if any cartel activity. Plus the federales are in the business of keeping tourists reasonably safe there, and are reasonably less corrupt. Although sometimes the ability to pay "la mordita" to get on your way can have it's own benefits. ..

Really tho Baja is last on my list even though I'll do it first to gain confidence. Mexico City is #2 because of the relatively fast shot from Laredo and because it's one of the great international cities. Central America really is my #1 calling. Funny/cool story about a guy I know in San Jose Costa Rica; a high school acquaintance who everyone thought would end up dead or in prison. I catch up with him just a few years ago on Facebook. ..15 years ago he bought a one way flight to CR to get away from a drug dealing rap where he was facing 10 years. Met a beautiful girl and she became pregnant with his kid. Couple years later he decides to come home and face the music, straighten out his life. Does 2 years, gets out, enrolls in college. Does one semester in school and as soon as he gets his loan check he takes off back to CR. Fast forward to today; he has a beautiful family, hot wife 3 kids and is self employed as an offshore sports bookie. Nice house with a pool and a full legal resident of beautiful CR. Super smart, thoughtful, articulate dude. A guy we all pegged as good as dead. I just think that's a cool story. He obviously speaks fluent Spanish these days. He had found me a really sweet furnished apartment and was gonna arrange to meet me in Belize before the trip fell through.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:11:40 PM by Buck Naked » Logged

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

Yeah, Baja is definitely the safer way.  I got pretty scared recently when I read this:

http://ktla.com/2014/07/18/remains-found-in-plastic-bags-in-mexico-iidd-as-missing-american/

Sad story.  Basically what I was/am hoping to do, which was a reality check for me.  I had assumed Mexico was bad near the border (e.g. Juarez), but after that it was okay with maybe some rough spots to avoid.  After reading the article I went onto US State Department website for travel advisories.  Not good.  Pretty much every state in Mexico (except a few) say "US Gov't advises you defer non-essential travel".  I mapped it and you really can't avoid going through the travel advisory states:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

I tend to ignore fear-mongering, but here it looks like Mexico really is dangerous for someone traveling alone on a bike with US plates.  A buddy suggested I go via Baja and then ferry it over to SW Mexico.  Could be an option.  But I have time to plan or skip it all.  Or abort and just ride through Canada.  Grin

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

I would never down play the dangers in Mexico but I would take the U.S State advisories with a grain of salt. They Issue blanket global travel warnings at the drop of a hat, as in; TAKE COVER, DON'T go *anywhere*! If a single American is a victim of violence anywhere abroad they issue an advisory for it. Friggin Paris makes the list several times a year. Common sense goes a long way...don't try to buy drugs, walk around in shit neighborhoods alone flashing cash...basically don't do anything you wouldn't do in North Detroit or East Chicago.

I realize that in under developed countries there are very real dangers to be wary of but I also think the dangers are way exaggerated.  I have several friends and acquaintances in Mexico and Central/South America doing activist work and they are perfectly safe. That being said...the intimidation factor is exacerbated when you're in a completely alien culture and you don't speak the language.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:12:32 PM by Buck Naked » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: