Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:46:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making tight, low speed turns  (Read 7311 times)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »

Lean the bike a *lot* more than your body, and use the clutch against the rear brake to keep the power adjustments smooth.

Be attentive when you get the steering up to the lock, it can all go wrong quickly at that point.

Also, you can adjust the steering stops to give you the most turning angle, leave a little clearance between whatever parts would touch.
*Absolutely* check to make sure it's not pulling on the throttle or fast-idle cables after you adjust it.
Let the motor idle, and turn the bars lock-to-lock to confirm you won't surprise yourself.

This came up on TOB, and I went out and tried it.
IIRC an 18' circle is as tight as I could go, and that was with bars to the stop for most of it, riding the clutch against the rear brake.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »

Remember to turn the front wheel in the direction of the turn.  No counter-steering at these low speeds.  The bike will want to fall over, but the push from the rear wheel will keep it upright.  Always nice to practice in an area with a good amount of run-off room.  If you think you're about to drop the bike, give it some gas and straighten it up.  Eventually you'll be banging off sweet, tight, controlled U-turns.  And LOOK THROUGH THE TURN!
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »

Also, you can adjust the steering stops to give you the most turning angle, leave a little clearance between whatever parts would touch.
If you adjust the steering stops for maximum steering angle, you have to be very careful every time you raise the tank that you get it centered when you put it back down.  Otherwise, on a Monster you can have fork legs contacting the tank, which can scratch or dent it.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »

The best tip I got for making tight U-turns is to weight the outside footpeg.  That did it for me.  I actually wind up kind of standing on the pegs a bit, with most of my weight on the outside, and adding throttle to keep the bike from falling in.  I'll have to try the idea of clutch-sipping to apply power - that sounds smart.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
WestonWith2

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

I am no where near an expert and am still learning these tight turns myself, but I always try to stand up a bit on the pegs and put little or no weight on the seat. This lowers the CoG on the bike and also makes it easier to shift /lean the bike.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: