Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 21, 2024, 01:19:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bike That Saved Ducati  (Read 3491 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »

I liked Galluzzi's anecdote about doing the first sketches while at Honda, but realizing that company would never go for the idea.  laughingdp

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
hbliam
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »

doubt it
the scale of europe helped this record. i know the club that did it.

Southern California could do it with some marketing and organization. We have had over three dozen on just a Saturday jaunt through the hills with nothing more then a week old monster ride thread.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »

I always thought those VTR250s looked like Monsters.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
$Lindz$

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

I like the bit about Galluzzi originally envisioning a 4V engine when he was designing it.

Makes me never ever want to get rid of my S4RS. Truly the original Monster's swan song...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:05:00 PM by $Lindz$ » Logged
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

It could almost be said that the 1098 played a near equal part in saving Ducati.  Just saying...

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
hbliam
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

It could almost be said that the 1098 played a near equal part in saving Ducati.  Just saying...

And the 916. And the Panigale. And the new Multi. And the Diavel.

But none of them have been the workhorse sales machine as the Monster has been for 20 years. I think that's what they are trying to say.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »

916 maybe, but not the more recent bikes, as Ducati really hasn't been going through dire times since the 1098 hit the market. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
brad black

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 01:51:49 AM »

image wise it was the 851, the greenframe of its time.  plus the somewhat controversial for the time paso design.  in the any publicity is good vein.

but in terms of sales it was the carby ss that saved them.  92 I think they sold more of them than everything else (851 and 907 only I think) combined.  it put the bikes on the street that looked sort of like the 851 and that more people could afford.

the monster certainly helped when it came out in 94, but by then the company was on its way to being a saleable commodity.  i'd say it was 95 before we started selling a lot of monsters, and the 600 certainly had a big impact.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: