Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 09:29:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 1100EVO vs. Sport 1000S  (Read 2759 times)
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« on: June 26, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »

I'm looking at selling (or keeping if I cant get what I want for it) my 2005 Monster 620 and getting a new Duc with some more power. The two bikes I've set my sights on are the Monster 1100EVO or a Sport 1000S. Love the Monster handling and it's super fun to ride but that Sport 1K is gorgeous and quickly becoming collectible. Looking for insights or opinions on one versus the other from the folks on this forum as they're always very informative.

Thanks!  waytogo

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

Get which ever one appeals to you on a visceral level. But if it was my choice it would be the Monster. It is more comfortable. The engine is a little more sophisticated. The suspension and brakes are better. Also the Monster has its own look. The Sport Classic has a borrowed look which IMO is a flawed version. Sport Classics have several flaws which prevent them from achieving a great classic look.  The tank and tail piece look too chubby. There is too much air space under the rear fender. Also, the ass-in the air stance is just wrong for a classic look. 
Travman

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »

...and the Sport Classics have the expanding plastic tank.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »

When I first saw a Sport Classic in the flesh I was very dissapointed in how fat the tank and seat looked. They are fine from the side, butt from above? Eew!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
MojoWorking

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »

Monster 1100 Evo.

2012 Monster Evo 1100
2009 Suzuki Gladius
1972 Honda CB500
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »

ive ridden both.

i own a 1100EVO motor thats been dyno tuned to 95rwhp. i also owned the 1000DS motor. id go for 1100EVO hands down.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
77south

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »

Put simply, a Sport1000S is a great bike to look at, but if you want to make it ride as good as looks, you will be spending some serious cash and reducing its collectability.  I own a 2008 sport1000S biposto, so I like to think I know what I am talking about.  The sport1000S looks like an early '70s race bike.  Because of that, it has the ergos of an early '70s race bike.  I am 5'10" and feel like I am stretched out over the tank to grab the bars.  The bars cannot be raised much or they will hit the fairing.  It has spoked wheels.  They are heavy rotating unsprung mass, and will reduce the bike's agility compared to the monster.  Replacing the wheels is a common mod for people who want performance out of their Sport1000S.

In fact many Sport 1000S owners replace the entire fork/front brake/wheels with the ones from a 999.   If you want a bike that you will love the looks of but have to modify pretty heavily to get it to compete with other Ducs with similar engines, you may be looking at $6000-$8000 (ohlins forks and rear shocks are rare and getting rarer for this bike) in mods before you even look at things like a tail tidy or engine mods. The price of a Sport1000S is the down payment on the mods.  

If you have the cash, that may not be an issue, if you don't you will have great looking bike, that isn't very comfortable (for me) and isn't as nimble as it could be.  That said, it is still the best performing retro bike you can find and will handily outperform Triumphs (Bonnevilles and Thruxtons) and Royal Enfields and Moto Guzzis (whatever their cafe racer looking bike is).  If you want it, it's a great bike, just know what you are getting first. And what you are getting is not a performance bike.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »

The Sport Classic has a borrowed look which IMO is a flawed version. Sport Classics have several flaws which prevent them from achieving a great classic look.  The tank and tail piece look too chubby. There is too much air space under the rear fender. Also, the ass-in the air stance is just wrong for a classic look. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Travman

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »

laughingdp

I like the Sport Classic looks. They just weren't designed exactly the way I would have done it. I'm surprised you haven't sold yours for $20K now that Sport Classic prices have skyrocketed.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »

I'm surprised you haven't sold yours for $20K now that Sport Classic prices have skyrocketed.

Had some solid offers on it when it was for sale earlier in the year, but none high enough to see it leave the garage.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

One of my best friends and regular riding buds has a Sport Classic GT1000.  He has done a ton of mods to it including upgrading the wheels/brakes from an ST3 (or ST4, I can never remember which one is the almost direct swap).  It is a very cool looking bike and he certainly has no trouble keeping up with me in the canyons on it.  I've ridden it, rode it right after he bought it in fact and it is the reason I own a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO.  I was really impressed with it.

I'd get whichever bike you like the most.  If you can find a good deal on the Sport and you dig it, then get it.  You'll never lose money on it.  My friend bought his new in 2007 and he could sell it today for what he paid for it.  Not many bikes could make that claim... I know mine isn't worth what I paid for it today.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
Stabel1

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »

Since I have both of em (1100EVO and 2006 SC) i can tell you that they are great bikes. Each in its own way.
The monster i a great modern bike which can be used for almost any purpose (daily way to work, longer bike trips and a fun day) and it comes with ABS, traction control and slipper clutch.

The Sport Classic is a cafe racer which is a lot of fun to ride with rather modern mechanics and performance...but not for too long distances and great to modify (the original setup for example is not as bad as they say, and you can switch to adjustable Showa forks from a monster which are alot cheaper than öhlins and not too bad either).
The rims are heavier than the 999 ones, that is true bu t in the 1000S they have atleast lighter aluminium rims than in the 1000GT. And you will get alot more comments on it than on the monster.

They are both great bikes, you just have to decide on what you are looking for in a bike.

HotIce

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

Love that SC!  drool
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »

Cheesy

The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:06:53 AM »

Yeah the obvious correct answer to which one I should get is clearly.... BOTH!!! Unfortunately limited funding makes this impossible in the short term but hopefully I can get one now and the other later. My fear is the cost and availability of a Sport 1000 with limited miles on it will become more expensive and harder to find.

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: