Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help what product do you buy to clean and lube your chain?  (Read 6673 times)
teddy037.2
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

+1 for the maxima, then  Grin

well, that's actually what I use, so...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 06:02:33 AM »

Why would it matter if you drench the chain?  WD-40 is mostly a type of kerosene and it doesn't matter whether you soak a chain in kerosene or not.  It's not likely to harm the o-rings, and the o-rings are the important part on a chain.  Kerosene, and by extension WD-40, is a good solvent for chains, but it completely evaporates pretty quickly, so it's best to follow up with a real lubricant.  I haven't checked the chainmakers sites in a long time, but many used to recommend 90W gear oil.

WD-40 is part Stoddard solvent and part kerosene.  It is aIt is very thin, designed as a water dispersant and penetrant and can (not will) get past O rings, diluting the lube that is inside the chain if you drench it. 

I use Motorex Chain lube to clean and lube (same method Chris Kelley uses).  My last chain lived past the 22K mile mark.  At that point rust from the pins was just starting.
sbrguy

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »

maxima chain wax the chris kelly way from teh videos.

easy and simple to use, ever 200-350 miles as in the video.

cleaning and lubing your chaing isn't some sort of "black magic voodoo" or anything like that, just do it the simple way the ca-cycleworks video shows and if you keep up with it, within 2 applications like this your chain will be clean all the time.  keep up with doing it every 300 miles or so and the chain never gets very dirty and is clean after every chain wax application.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:21:07 AM by sbrguy » Logged
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Cheapest & most economically effective way to clean ............... KEROSENE waytogo

Is kerosene O-ring safe? 

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Hedgehog

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

Is kerosene O-ring safe?

Will it damage the o-rings?  No, it shouldn't.  The o-rings are made to be immersed in petroleum products (grease).

Will it ignite if you insist on smoking or doing other flammable activities while using it?  Yes, so use normal care as when handling any flammable liquid.
OverCaffeinated

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »

I've been wanting to try kerosene myself, but have also been afraid it's too harsh.

I have been using either Dawn or Simple Green to clean, which works, but takes time and a lot of scrubbing. Then I lube with PJ1 Black Label, which I found on the top of some recommended lube list. But I actually am not very happy with it. Even when I wipe off the excess I still gets lots of sling, and dirt seems to stick to the chain a little too well. I'm ready to try something diff. 
EEL

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 09:42:05 AM »

I use dupont and I agree for maintenance it is the best product. BUT for those who say it doesnt fling, you must not have white wheels. Everything I have used flings a bit. Dupont will fling as well though I have to say its reduced. Finding a no fling lube/wax is impossible. I you guys want proof I can take a picture of my rear wheel.
silentbob
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »

I use dupont and I agree for maintenance it is the best product. BUT for those who say it doesnt fling, you must not have white wheels. Everything I have used flings a bit. Dupont will fling as well though I have to say its reduced. Finding a no fling lube/wax is impossible. I you guys want proof I can take a picture of my rear wheel.

It may take a little while to get all the old lube off the chain.  When I switched to the DuPont stuff I would get some fling but it was the old lube that was still on the chain.  After a couple of cleanings with the DuPont stuff I don't see any fling.
Hedgehog

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »

I've been wanting to try kerosene myself, but have also been afraid it's too harsh.

I have been using either Dawn or Simple Green to clean, which works, but takes time and a lot of scrubbing.

Actually, it's the Dawn and Simple Green that are too harsh for this application.  Both are emulsifiers and surfactants.  That means they're meant to break down the barrier that prevents oil and water from mixing.  Getting any water based solution past the o-rings is not a good thing.  Stick with petro based chemicals to clean your chain.
OverCaffeinated

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »

Dammit!  bang head
Hedgehog, your right. I just checked my Duc manual it does say to use petroleum based cleaners. I only have 2500 miles on the bike. Hopefully the chain is still good. On my way to hardware store for some kerosene.
Hedgehog

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »

Dammit!  bang head
Hedgehog, your right. I just checked my Duc manual it does say to use petroleum based cleaners. I only have 2500 miles on the bike. Hopefully the chain is still good. On my way to hardware store for some kerosene.

Just a followup on the logic behind this.  You're not trying to clean the chain down to squeaky clean and then lube it.  What you want to do is just displace dirty lubricant with clean lubricant.
OverCaffeinated

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »

No, not squeaky clean. But the PJ1 Black Label really traps dirt, and to get it off takes effort. Unfortunately spraying fresh PJ1 Black Label lube doesn't displace old dirty lube very well. I'm definitely going to try another product soon.
EEL

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »

I always follow the old saying. A clean chain is better than a dirty lubed chain. Use a  good cleaning solution. I have heard kerosene is good. I use Motrax Chain Clean. Followed by Dupont Wax. Sometimes, like after a wash, I let the chain dry out by riding it around for a couple of miles before I wax.

One good thing about the dupont is that nothing beats it at keeping the chain looking like new.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:56:57 PM by EEL » Logged
monsterRS

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 11:02:44 AM »

Another +1 on kerosene and dupont.  I have white wheels and no problems with fling.  I also wipe the dupont on while spraying.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: