Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:12:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All by myself  (Read 7588 times)
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »

Red!  That's a FAST color!  Woot!  Great reading - don't worry about being the fast starter at intersections or stops - trying before you're really comfortable is a good way to stall, dropping the clutch, y'know.  Sounds like you're doin' good, though!   waytogo

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
Sparky1479

Sparks fly...

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

Sounds like a lot of progress for a short amount of time.  My friend just got a new 250 ninja and she is 2 months into riding around the block.  I still have to park it.  Course she can barely touch the ground... walking the bike forward, let alone back is super hard for her.  I know it took me about 3 months to feel safe at speed on my bike.  Thought the wind was just going to throw me all over the place.  I didnt have any one else to ride with, so I didnt know what to expect.  I suppose "All things come in time", to those who practice is the key.  It is always awesome to hear about new women riders, though!  Way to go!   Grin
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 07:40:02 PM »

I ride in a pretty rural area, so I have been lucky enough to only have to worry about getting comfortable with speed and riding without the worry of a lot of cars.  It's made getting used to the speed much less stressful.  If M worked in a bigger town then I would never have had the confidence to ride there.  Traffic is more than I can handle yet, as is freeways.  I'll get there but it'll probably be next summer since I move back into the City soon. 

This is where those little shiny things some use as mirrors come in handy.  The only time I end up using my mirrors is checking for the Police behind me, making sure nobody will give me a love smoosh at a light, and tip toeing back.  I'll look back just once to make sure nothing is on the pavement and then use the mirrors.  I always try to have someone spot me, though.   Embarrassed

I'm constantly looking in my mirrors when I ride to check on people coming up behind me so I'm not caught by surprise.  I use them more on the bike than I do in my car.  It's probably because I try to be hyper aware while I ride, whereas in the car I'm much more comfortable.  Do you really only use your mirrors those few times?

Except on the Ninja- if they're like my EX500, the mirrors are mounted on the fairing which is free of the bars.  Rearview always stable, those were the days.

Yep, the mirrors are mounted on the fairing so they don't turn with the handle bars.  Although since I can easily flatfoot it I don't use them too much when backing it into places.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: