Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 28, 2024, 03:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 620 2005 - Clutch Replacement ....... where do I start ?  (Read 2789 times)
Tiger Terrrific

The Universe is a big place .... maybe the biggest

« on: July 06, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

Hi All,

Last service highlighted that my clutch was on it's last legs and a nice long Wisemans / PITS Loop yesterday seemed to indicate it's near the end.

Is it hard to have a crack at this myself and if not, any suggestions on what I need to buy to replace ?

Champions !

Tiger

Hayze

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »

Hi Tiger,

No its a strait forward operation. I just changed my clutch to an EVR the kit came with everything you need. A clutch holding tool is a good idea, or make one yourself, like I did.

Make sure you have a torque wrench, 32mm socket if you are changing the basket and some sort of clutch holding tool.
Including making the clutch holding tool it took me about 2.5 hours.

Hayze

If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap. If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing. If you want happiness for a month -- get married. If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime -- Buy a Ducati.
Tiger Terrrific

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »

Cheers Hayze,

Just a query - what's an ATR and where would you suggest I get a kit - Thanks Heaps !

Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »

OK ... so unless I am mis-interpreting things ... you guys are talking about two different clutch systems - one wet and one dry.

Although we have changed the clutch on dry-clutch bikes before I can offer nothing with regard to changing the clutch on the wet-clutch bikes. All I can say is that it will be a lot more involved for the wet-clutch 620.

I was hoping that somebody else may have spoken up by now ... perhaps a search of the Tech board (or Mods & Accessories) may be more enlightening.

By the way, how many kilometres has the bike travelled to get the clutch to its 'last legs'?

Believe post content at your own risk.
Tiger Terrrific

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »

Cheers Betty,

Good pick-up. I'm talking about a wet clutch (bike has done about 75k km - not sure if it's ever been replaced).

Couldn't find a set of instructions on a tech-board, but probably just me.

Happy to give it a crack but if people think it's a bit more than 'fiddely' maybe best with a proper mechanic.

Cheers

Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »

I don't have time to check for relevance at the moment and I am not sure if the piccies are still visible ... but it might be worth a look at this thread:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=31110.0

Believe post content at your own risk.
dragonworld.
I can make like a tripod with my.....

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:41:26 AM »

If its a wet clutch, I would be surprised if it needed a basket replacement, particularly that it is a 620 and doesnt have a lot of HP going through it!  Grin

A clutch pack would be all you "SHOULD" need and I'd probably throw a set of springs at it! waytogo

It really is only a matter of removing the clutch coverm undoing the spring retaining bolts (Evenly all around, not one at a time) so the pressure plate comes off evenly!

Take the plates out and check overall pack height (Thickness) with the new one just to make sure all is the same or very similar, and then replace the old with the new!! waytogo

I would think their would be a small bearing in the pressure plate, and it would be a good idea to replace that!! (Cheap at a bearing service)

Before sealing the cover back on just replace it dry and make sure the system releases/operates ok ! If all good seal the cover back on and away ya go!!

Take your time, be methodical and as you remove things lay them out in the order you took them off!  Wink

Oh by the way, dont overtighten the clutch spring bolts, they can snap easily! Give them a nip up (not sure what the torque setting would be but 15-20nm would be close!? Anybody??)
The springs will push against the spring retainers and hold the bolts as well!!.

Hope all this helps!!  chug

Secret to a long relationship is........Keep the fights clean and the sex DIRTY"!
Tiger Terrrific

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »

Thanks for these suggestions, all really positive and on the money.

One of the best tips I've had was for a step-by-step guide on Youtube (excellent)

Youtube:   
Search: Ducati Monster 620 Clutch Replacement ............ = Ducatitech.com "How to" Wet Clutch Install

Just need to search the web now for an appropriate kit, and rip into it.

Thanks again - Brett chug

Hayze

S4RS

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:34:34 AM »

My apologies,

I had a few before I read your post I wet v dry, I couldnt even get EVR correct  bang head

Hayze

If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap. If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing. If you want happiness for a month -- get married. If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime -- Buy a Ducati.
brad black

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:11:17 AM »

if it is an aptc, which I think a 2005 might have, pack replacement is much the same as any other.

but if you want to pull the centre and basket, there's a few tools you need.  from memory you use the pack to hold the drum to loosen or tighten the centre nut with some little m5 screw thingies loading it together.  they're quite interesting as an arrangement.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
jamie2548

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:40:13 AM »

Spring retainer tension is 5nm.  waytogo i bought a push bike tension wrench for all the low nm stuff on my bike. And yes, they do break easy. I broke one just giving it a "nip" .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: