Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will a Rexxer User be adequate for maintenance needs of a 696?  (Read 1956 times)
darthmoto

.: 2009 M696 White :.

« on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »

I've been researching all that I need to do my own services on my 2009 M696. Besides the tools relating to valves and belts, I realize I need something for the ECU. I've landed upon the Technoresearch Centurion-S for Siemens. But I've also noticed that the Rexxer User will pull engine codes, reset TPS and reset maintenance light as well. (I am not sure about idle rpm adjust) Plus the added bonus of cutting out closedloop operation and better fuelmaps. If the Rexxer can replace the Centurion, then it seems like the better deal. Soo.... could it act as a replacement for a VDSTS?

EDIT: And another question for anyone that perhaps might know.. If I do end up just getting a Centurion-S, or just take the bike to a shop... will a Rexxer ECU flash (done outside) be safe from any kind of data corruption?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:00:47 PM by darthmoto » Logged
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »

I know about Rexxer User.  I know nothing about the Centurion.  

The Rexxer User is primarily a tool for reflashing your ECU.  It comes with a "tuning" map of your choice and as long as you have a back up of your stock mapping saved (sent to you by email by Rexxer) you can revert back to stock at any time.  And reflash and revert.... you get the idea.  If your bike's exhaust and/or induction system changes down the track, you can order another "tuning" map suitable for wherever you're at and reflash all over again.

Rexxer User secondary functions:
It can reset your Maintenance Due indicator.

It can retrieve (and clear) ECU error codes for diagnostic use.

You dont need anything to reset the TPS on your 696..  cycling the ignition on and off 3 times (without touching throttle of fast idle control) is all it takes.

Does that make it a better option for you that the Centurion?  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:25:36 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
darthmoto

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:20:28 PM »

If its diagnostic capabilities are all that I need should anything go wrong within the electrical and fueling systems of my bike, then yes. I'm trying to make a list of tools I need to wrench on my bike and thought maybe the Rexxer can kill 2 birds with one stone, since I've been wanting a Rexxer tune anyways. If the Rexxer's secondary abilities alone provides good enough diagnostics capability, then its main purpose of upgrading the fuel map will be one giant plus.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:45:56 PM by darthmoto » Logged
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:23:46 AM »

I looked at it the other way.  I wanted to reflash my ECU... and I get to own a tool handy for those other coupla things.

Gotta weigh up what those additional features are worth to you.  You can get your ECU reflashed at a Rexxer Centre in the US for what.... $250? 

I've lost track of what Rexxer User costs these days.

darthmoto

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »

That's a good point, costwise. Once an ecu is flashed, is there no need to revert to stock before, say having a factory tech run diagnostics and make other settings? Iow, is the flash going to interfere with other tools?
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »

I see no reason to revert ECU back to stock.... unless you're returning the whole bike back to stock... or to troubleshoot issues you suspect may be due to the reflash....

As long as your tech knows what they're working with, I see no interference issues.

Others are better qualified to give you a definitive answer on that though....................

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: