Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 07:25:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...what do you all think  (Read 61366 times)
Raux
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:40 AM »

well put it this way for other's when they're deciding to vote.

what happens when that guy that owns the entire RoadRacing collection on his bike is told to sell off his bike or lose his wife of 20 years he really does love more than his motorcycle, and the only people he knows that loves motorcycles like we do, well...

so he gets online, which he has little time for, so probably never posted but one or twice to introduce himself, and can't post them here....

it's our loss, not his IMO.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 04:31:43 AM »

I don't think it harms the community to have un-vetted members put stuff up for sale.  If the individual buys without some  assurance that it's not a scam then they're a bit of an idiot.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2013, 04:35:58 AM »

...and everyone is allowed to change their vote.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2013, 05:33:57 AM »

If I remember correctly I sold and bought a lot of good stuff before I hit fifty and would not have wasted time bumping to do it.  Some might but if they are that state of mind I think we would see it and not buy from said person, (trying to sound like an attorney, did it work?) If you can't smell out a scammer selling crap then you deserve to buy it, so just to keep out the one or two who would actually waste the forum time to sell I say 50 at the most.  I may not be paying close enough attention to the problem, have the evil craigslister hoards from the north breached the gates.

DP do what you think is best.

I hit the 25

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:38:14 AM by BoDiddley » Logged

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
HDDUC

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:06 AM »

I'm new to the forum/ ducs / sport bikes but thought I'd through in my 2 cents. I'm on the site daily but have virtually no posts. Frankly, I have more to learn than contribute at this point. 

I bought a 2012 1100 off a board in June. I also practically never sell a bike once I buy it. I still have a 1986 Honda 250r fourtrax I bought in 1988 and the first street bike I bought in1993. Point is that I little vested interest in selling on the board.

I like to look at the classifieds to keep plugged into the market even though I'm no longer in the market.  I consider the classifieds another plus for the forum so my vote would be to not restrict posting.

If you must restrict, and not sure if this is possible, but could you restrict based on member status. e.g. 1 classified per month/year as a new member with an increase as a jr member etc? Not to complicate the matter but just a thought.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 06:03:47 AM »

I like to look at the classifieds to keep plugged into the market even though I'm no longer in the market.  I consider the classifieds another plus for the forum so my vote would be to not restrict posting. 

there is no issue with anything like restricting the ability to see and read any of the classifieds.....or even with posting a "wanted" ad...but this is particularly to restrict the posting/starting of new for sale ad's to deter the people that have no will to be a part of the community and are just looking to join, sell an item or items and then move on without a care to come back...so then we end up with people who are on the list of members who are not real active members here( hence the term "community" that DP is being keen to spotlight)...hence why we have 11K members here and only a few hundred or more who are actually active in the community and perhaps a couple hundred extra reading lurkers who feel like they have nothing yet to add...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:49 AM »

there is no issue with anything like restricting the ability to see and read any of the classifieds.....or even with posting a "wanted" ad...but this is particularly to restrict the posting/starting of new for sale ad's to deter the people that have no will to be a part of the community and are just looking to join, sell an item or items and then move on without a care to come back...so then we end up with people who are on the list of members who are not real active members here( hence the term "community" that DP is being keen to spotlight)...hence why we have 11K members here and only a few hundred or more who are actually active in the community and perhaps a couple hundred extra reading lurkers who feel like they have nothing yet to add...
To be precise...

New Member    *    10486        
Jr. Member    **        442        
Full Member    ***        467       
Sr. Member    ****    252
Hero Member    *****  371

That equals 1532 members that are what I consider contributing members.

To elaborate on zooom's comment...

The only restriction would be to disallow members with fewer than the required # of posts from starting a for sale thread. Everyone will still be allowed to read all the flea market sections.

Any member would still be allowed to respond to a WTB post by a member, so the policy doesn't really prevent anyone from selling, or buying desirable items   . It would only prevent the classifieds from becoming more like craigslist than it already is.

As I said earlier, without more participation in the poll, nothing is likely to change. Even if you figure the percentage using only the 1500 more active members we only have slightly over 1% participation.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

HDDUC

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:50 AM »

Thanks for the clarification and perhaps given this is my fourth post, I shouldn't be weighing in.  I realize that the discussion doesn't restrict view, only the ability to post in the classifieds... my point is there would be less to see in the classifieds with a posting restriction.  

Maybe just the point of keeping the community to those who will be contributing?  Maybe it is a server / space issue to have so many members?  

In the end, I defer to the active community and only give the point of view from a new member getting to know the board...  take it or leave it.   I enjoy the board and will hopefully become more active as time goes on.  
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 07:19:13 AM »

i voted for a flat tax

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »

Thanks for the clarification and perhaps given this is my fourth post, I shouldn't be weighing in.  I realize that the discussion doesn't restrict view, only the ability to post in the classifieds... my point is there would be less to see in the classifieds with a posting restriction.  

Maybe just the point of keeping the community to those who will be contributing?  Maybe it is a server / space issue to have so many members?  

In the end, I defer to the active community and only give the point of view from a new member getting to know the board...  take it or leave it.   I enjoy the board and will hopefully become more active as time goes on.  
We have no space issues on our server. We use than 10% of it's capabilities.

You still missed the point.

Again, the only restriction will be that of starting a new for sale thread.

Any member may post in a WTS thread started by a member with those privileges and buy the item.

Any member may start a WTB thread in the appropriate section, and any member can offer that item to them.

i voted for a flat tax
I'm going to assassinate the real toaster if I get the chance.

perspective

HDDUC

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:50 AM »

Thanks DP.  I am on the same page... I probably just have not communicated that appropriately... my wife says I'm a poor communicator too!   Sad

I was trying to say, if someone wanted to sell a bike, and couldn't on the board, then the classified wouldn't be there.  Less classifieds to see, less bikes for sale to see. 

I'm good.  No need to clarify any further. 
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2013, 07:40:22 AM »

Thanks for the clarification and perhaps given this is my fourth post, I shouldn't be weighing in.   

I disagree with that thought...if you are adding value to a discussion ( which I feel you certainly aren't detracting value and helping make the point/case which we are currently discussing) then you have as much to say as someone with 2000+ posts ( and in this case, moreso than some of those members) ...so for that, I say thank you for participating and being a part of the community.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
bdub

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

my wife says I'm a poor communicator

My wife says the same thing. That I am a poor communicator
Not that you are. I don't think she knows you. She doesn't
Hang out here

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

I may not be paying close enough attention to the problem, have the evil craigslister hoards from the north breached the gates.

Holy crap, after seeing the numbers I take back the above nonsense.  The difference between the 1532 and the rest is in large part new members just to sell.  Also it has built up over the years as one rarely goes back to an old forum and bails out, no.

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Raux
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »

Again, the only restriction will be that of starting a new for sale thread.

Any member may post in a WTS thread started by a member with those privileges and buy the item.

so what's to stop a hack from jumping someone else's for sale thread and undersell the full member
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: