Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 12:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you always wear gear? I don't and don't get the fuss it causes  (Read 18804 times)
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 07:05:19 AM »

Over here in the sunny UK the only law we have covering Gear is that we must wear a helmet.
We can ride naked legally as long as you wear a helmet.

I commute sometimes and if its warm I just ride in jeans and a t shirt.

I get so much abuse from fellow Motorcycle and scooter commuters telling me i'm and idiot etc.

Thing is I barely hit 30 mph when commuting.

The same speed that Cyclists on fancy race bicycles do.

AND THEY DO IT WEARING LYCRA!!!!!!!!!!!.
anyone see my point?

It is not practical to wear protective clothing on a bicycle.  You are the engine so you need to be able to get that air over your skin to cool you.  Yeah, it is ugly when cyclists go down but most of the crashes I've seen in cycling happen at speeds of 15mph and under.  Your average rider isn't capable of the speeds the professionals riding in the Tour Day France are capable of.  I used to commute on my road bike and it was all I could do to average 17mph over my commute and that was a fast ride-I was really pushing (my commute, at the time, was fairly hilly though).

That said, I've hit 48mph on my road bike going downhill.   Grin

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
Bishamon

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »

my big compromise is pants.

Same here.  When commuting to work I just wear dress pants, and I frequently just wear normal jeans when riding.  I would like to get some armoured jeans, but I haven't come up with a work solution that wouldn't involve me changing pants when I arrive.

2011 Monster 796
2007 Sport 1000 SE (SOLD) Sad
Raux
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »

i'm going to look at those kevlar khakis with removable knee armor

seems like yanking out the knee armor at work and putting them in a locker with my boots would be easy
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »

I figure, people wouldn't say anything if they didn't give a shit about you.  The only reason they say something is because they care.

I've crashed enough on a bicycle to know what getting road rash scrubbed with a bristle brush feels like.  It was worse than the crash, I can attest.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Mike_D

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »

sometimes i wear just jeans, other times jeans with icon knee armor, other times jeans with moto pants over, other times full leathers

Same with me.  I'll wear jeans for my 7-mile commute and change at work into my suit, but always wear my Scorpion jacket, even when its hot, as well as gloves, full-face helmet, and boots.  On longer rides, half the time I wear my leather pants and the other half jeans, especially if it's going to be a hot day.  Probably tempting fate, but I too am looking at a good  armored jean/khaki alternative.  

I've had many a Harley dude wearing a cereal bowl helmet, shorts and a T-shirt shake their head at me sitting at a stop light in full gear when it's 90+ degrees.  I just give them the "to each his own" shrug and go about my business.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:02:39 AM by Mike_D » Logged

2008 S2R 1k.  Black.  Pazzo Levers, 14 t front sprocket, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, Cycle Cat Frame Sliders,  Oberon open clutch cover and gold/black EVR pressure plate, full Arrow exhaust with reflashed and mapped ECU, tail chop with gold Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals, Ohlins rear shock and Rizoma fluid reservoirs.
Raux
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

yeah i'm lookign forward to the first time i roll up on the Monster with my mesh armored jacket gloves full helmet boots and jeans in HD country that is Oklahoma
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

As always, it comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept when riding.

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

When I was working I would wear a 2 piece Aerostich suit. It goes on and off in 10 or 15 seconds and nice cloths stay nice under it. It has enough vents to stay comfy in hot weather, and is good in cold and rain.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Greg

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »

sometimes i wear just jeans, other times jeans with icon knee armor, other times jeans with moto pants over, other times full leathers

Jeans is where I often fall short of full gear as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:16:19 PM by Greg » Logged

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

I've had many a Harley dude wearing a cereal bowl helmet, shorts and a T-shirt shake their head at me sitting at a stop light in full gear when it's 90+ degrees.  I just give them the "to each his own" shrug and go about my business.  

Exactly, to each his own.  Wink

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »

yeah i'm lookign forward to the first time i roll up on the Monster with my mesh armored jacket gloves full helmet boots and jeans in HD country that is Oklahoma

What are you gonna do?

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »

Don't wanna wear gear it is your choice.  Just don't come crying to me or hit my insurance premiums when you are in a trauma center instead of just going home.........

ATTGAT  NAZI  so don't bother responding unless you have a picture of you riding full gear.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Raux
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »

What are you gonna do?
probably laugh at myself
Triple J
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »

Just don't come crying to me or hit my insurance premiums when you are in a trauma center instead of just going home.........

Keep in mind...that's what people in cages say about all motorcyclists.

J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 02:20:34 AM »

sunny UK?  is there such a place? 

not really but there has been a heatwave recently

they got to 30 degrees C for several days  laughingdp

many heat stroke cases , people getting dizzy

30 degrees and 20% humidity , damn perfect weather

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: