Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 10:18:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you always wear gear? I don't and don't get the fuss it causes  (Read 18795 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »

not really but there has been a heatwave recently

they got to 30 degrees C for several days  laughingdp

many heat stroke cases , people getting dizzy

30 degrees and 20% humidity , damn perfect weather
Except on the 5th day at Old Trafford where its a sultry 17°C and 70% chance of game ending rain  Angry

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
sleeperbold

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 04:39:05 AM »

I always wear at least a helmet, jacket (mesh or leather) and gloves.

Because physics.
77south

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »

We all have reasons for what we do.  I am a bicyclist as well as a motorcyclist, so I have some perspective one the gear for each sport.  On a serious bike ride, I wear a helmet and lycra shorts and a jersey.  The helmet is for safety, the lycra lets me work hard, without chafing or marinating in my own sweat.  When I am riding in bad weather, I also wear a bright yellow raincoat.  For non-serious rides, I always wear a helmet.  Cranial trauma is no joke.
   For motorcycle rides, even just across town to the bookstore, I always wear all the gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants and boots that cover my ankles.  There are several reasons.  Number one, I'm not a headstrong child anymore, I can temper my desire for the wind in my hair with the knowledge that the gear will protect me from a whole lot of damage.  I can learn from the mistakes of others,  I have seen pictures of road rash, I have listened to descriptions of how getting a skin graft feels, and I have met a woman whose head was mostly put back together after a serious moto wreck.  My looks aren't great, but they sure wouldn't be improved by having a skull that was shattered and put back together with metal plates and bailing twine.
The second reason is mindset, the time it takes me to gear up is a kind of ritual that helps me put my daily concerns away, and concentrate on the road, traffic and the bike.  The last reason is obligations.  I've got a brand new wife that I love and want to come home to after every ride.  We've got two dogs, that would never understand why, if I never made it home.  I've got parents who need me to help take care of them, and a niece and a nephew that love me.  I've got a job that I couldn't do from a hospital bed or a morgue.  I've got a hang glider I still need to learn how to fly.  The bottom line is, getting hurt in a motorcycle accident would cost me money and time I don't have and keep me from doing what I need to do. waytogo
coduc

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »

We all have reasons for what we do.  I am a bicyclist as well as a motorcyclist, so I have some perspective one the gear for each sport.  On a serious bike ride, I wear a helmet and lycra shorts and a jersey.  The helmet is for safety, the lycra lets me work hard, without chafing or marinating in my own sweat.  When I am riding in bad weather, I also wear a bright yellow raincoat.  For non-serious rides, I always wear a helmet.  Cranial trauma is no joke.
   For motorcycle rides, even just across town to the bookstore, I always wear all the gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants and boots that cover my ankles.  There are several reasons.  Number one, I'm not a headstrong child anymore, I can temper my desire for the wind in my hair with the knowledge that the gear will protect me from a whole lot of damage.  I can learn from the mistakes of others,  I have seen pictures of road rash, I have listened to descriptions of how getting a skin graft feels, and I have met a woman whose head was mostly put back together after a serious moto wreck.  My looks aren't great, but they sure wouldn't be improved by having a skull that was shattered and put back together with metal plates and bailing twine.
The second reason is mindset, the time it takes me to gear up is a kind of ritual that helps me put my daily concerns away, and concentrate on the road, traffic and the bike.  The last reason is obligations.  I've got a brand new wife that I love and want to come home to after every ride.  We've got two dogs, that would never understand why, if I never made it home.  I've got parents who need me to help take care of them, and a niece and a nephew that love me.  I've got a job that I couldn't do from a hospital bed or a morgue.  I've got a hang glider I still need to learn how to fly.  The bottom line is, getting hurt in a motorcycle accident would cost me money and time I don't have and keep me from doing what I need to do. waytogo

I can identify with the "ritual" part.  For me, it slows me down and helps me remember that it takes equipment like this to keep my frail body from being crushed by idiots driving on the road and texting at 80mph.  That said, I commute 25 miles to work and if it's above 65F usually wear jeans (not a good plan).  My work has relatively relaxed dress requirements, so the kevlar/armored jeans/pants finally turned on the light in my head, maybe this works?  I'll have to check it out.

Dolph

HotIce

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »

Today, coming off the beach, it was 47C where I parked the scooter. I was sweating at the thought of wearing my open face helmet.
No way in hell I would wear anything more to make the 800mt trip to home.
Rest of the "gear" was flip flops, shorts, and sleeveless t-shirt  Grin
Triple J
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

My work has relatively relaxed dress requirements, so the kevlar/armored jeans/pants finally turned on the light in my head, maybe this works?  I'll have to check it out.

I'd suggest Aerostitch Darien overpants. Wear any pants underneath you like...I've worn jeans of khakis without issue.
weemonster
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »

Except on the 5th day at Old Trafford where its a sultry 17°C and 70% chance of game ending rain  Angry

That's a sport I don't understand. How can you play for 5 days and have a draw?
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »

That's a sport I don't understand. How can you play for 5 days and have a draw?
Many a fascinating contest ends with no absolute conclusion. 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »

I do see your point.

Have you seen the road rash a bicyclist gets from an off at 30mph?

It's your choice. waytogo

+11ty billion!

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »

As always, it comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept when riding.

^^ This.

Everyone has to make the choice for themselves.

I used to ride in jeans with Icon "undershorts".  They looked like bicycle shorts but were abrasion resistant.

Rest of my gear?  Arai full-face, Dainese Hellracer gloves (gauntlets), Sidi full boots, Dainese back protector, and either my Dainese/Ducati perf'd leather jacked or my Alpinestars non-perf'd leather jacket.  Now I don't do just jeans anymore, I wear Icon Automag leather overpants.  Really convenient for commuting... I can wear jeans or shorts underneath, but have full leather + armor protection on the road.

Yeah, it gets warm to wear all this crap.  But I'd rather sweat than bleed.  If it's too hot to gear up, I take the cage with A/C.

Oh... one major reason for all the gear, including the back protector, is that I've had too many close calls with idiots in cars and pickups.  Both on my bike, and in my own car.  On the bike, physics rules... I'm gonna use the gear to mitigate my disadvantage as much as I can.  Maybe that's not as much an issue with drivers in the UK?

Anyway, to each his own... you'll figure out real quick why I wear all this crap the first time your skin kisses pavement at anything above stop-and-go traffic speed. Wink  Oh yeah... and I've crashed my mountain bike at a measly 12-15 mph... multiple times... not fun.  Would not care to repeat those experiences on asphalt with 500 lbs of motorcycle following me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:46:10 AM by duc_fan » Logged

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »

i decided a while back that if my ride was going to be too short to worry about protective gear......then i didnt need to risk myself or my bike for it...and i take my truck.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
coduc

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »

I'd suggest Aerostitch Darien overpants. Wear any pants underneath you like...I've worn jeans of khakis without issue.

I've got a pair of Rev-it Axis over pants and they are pretty easy to put on but are a little tight and seem to restrict movement a little.  Plus, they get hot in the sun since they are black and they only have knee armor and it seems like there should be some hip armor or something.  All pretty bad excuses, since I'm pretty sure they would hold up better than the jeans I've been wearing.
shamoo

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »

This is almost a pointless conversation to have.  As others have said, it's a personal choice.  It's a risk you take.  In fact, it's a risk every time you ride a motorcycle due to it's inherent danger over a car.

I have ridden in the hot summer months on both the East Coast and West Coast of the USA.  The East Cost (NJ specifically) gets to over 100F with 100% humidity.  Yes it's hot in full gear, but you get used to it.  When you're moving, it's not that bad.

I never bother telling people what to wear when they ride.  I'll say it once when they first start learning to ride.  After that, it's their choice.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »

Where I do have a beef is the amount of people who have their girl or even their kid on the back with zero gear, not even a helmet. Putting your own skin at risk is one thing but that's fked up IMO.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »

^^ I concur.

Before we were married, I'd take my wife for short rides.  I gave her the gear I only had one of, like the back protector.  I sure as he!! was not going to be standing there explaining to her father why I was wearing more gear than she was.  Now she has full gear, so it's not an issue anymore.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: