Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 04, 2024, 02:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tough my self riding from youtube and bought 796 ABS :)  (Read 2383 times)
awax1969

« on: August 10, 2013, 02:40:59 AM »

Despite having no clue how to ride a motorcycle, I loved the Monster and the idea of owning a motorcycle.  I reserved a Monster and viewed few youtube videos on how to shift gears, etc...

I actually was so embarrassed telling the dealer I don't know how the hell I ride this thing...  anyways, I received my bike, and had to transport it by truck to my house... 

I sat on it.. SCARED....Heart pumping like never before....   I turned the ignition on... made sure no one is looking and actually it moved...  Damn that feels good... Thankfully I currently have approx. 2000 miles on my bike and ride like I have been doing it all my life..

The MORAL of the story is... don't be SCARED... DO IT... I am 44...   Just make sure you have enough safety gear..  Life is too short... enjoy a DUCATI Smiley
MidnightRambler

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:04:12 AM »

Haha yeah that first time putting a bike into gear is definitely a little nerve racking.  Glad you're enjoying yourself chug
red baron

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:03 AM »

Congrats late bloomer. waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Raux
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:31 AM »

Find an MSF course.

there are a series of them.
Raux
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »

oh and....  applause
justinrhenry
Super

weeeeee!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »

Find an MSF course.

waytogo

_____
2013 Honda CB1100D
2006 Honda ST1300
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »

Find an MSF course.

+1

These are really valuable, whether you have zero experience, or many years' worth.

Ride safe and have fun! waytogo

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »

I would practice countersteering... lots, it might come in handy during a panic situation.  Bicycle muscle memory needs to be replaced with moto muscle memory.

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
MidnightRambler

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »

+1

These are really valuable, whether you have zero experience, or many years' worth.

Ride safe and have fun! waytogo

+1 again.  I've had approx 5 years experience riding cruisers but just got my first Duc.  Planning on taking one of the more advanced MSF courses offered here so I can get some pointers on riding in the very different body position.  I've never known anyone who's taken one who's regretted doing so.
awax1969

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:28:28 AM »

Thanks guys for the support and valuable info..
The problem is I live in Egypt and we have no training available here.

Actually the traffic here is the worst worldwide with the highest mortality rate in the world Sad

Sometime better not to take any courses that builds confidence.. You need to be always SCARED and on edge and never let your guard..  Here No stopping in stop signs and rarely respect the red lights...
I know it sounds crazy and makes no sense, but here if I am alone on any road, I stop and look on every intersection red or green Smiley

Only the love of riding keeps me going...
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »

being scared and on edge is the worst way to ride. relaxed and alert takes time and practice.

you'll see.

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Raux
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »

Well if anything like Athens, totally understand.
awax1969

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »

Alexandria & Athens are cousins Smiley
NakedPastaRocket

2012 1100EVO - stock so far

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »

Thanks guys for the support and valuable info..
The problem is I live in Egypt and we have no training available here.

Actually the traffic here is the worst worldwide with the highest mortality rate in the world Sad

Sometime better not to take any courses that builds confidence.. You need to be always SCARED and on edge and never let your guard..  Here No stopping in stop signs and rarely respect the red lights...

Jeezuz...that sounds like chaos
Fearnot69

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

Find an MSF course.

Absolutely! No offense, but they will help you develop good habits and skills. Also, get good safety gear, that covers everything, and use it...no matter the weather. (There are two types of riders, those who have went down and those that haven't. You have to dress for the slide and not the ride.) Operating a bike around here is like playing Russian roulette, plus you are just developing your skills. I give you credit. Not the safest start, but ride, ride, ride and better your skills. Oh and take the MSF. You won't have to take the on road course at the DMV and immediately get your endorsement.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: