Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 05:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: horn, dash lights, turn signals out  (Read 1833 times)
brecchi

« on: July 06, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »

originally the horn wasnt working. got a new horn and still didnt work. disassembled the turn signal housing and spryed a little lube in there. now the dash lights went out and the turn signals stopped working. also, no horn. the high beam flasher switch never worked. at least i still have low and high beams. fuses are all good. any ideas?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »

What did you spray in there?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

brecchi

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »

some teflon lube
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

Er....why did you lube it?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »

My guess is whatever you sprayed in there is a pretty good insulator.  Disconnect the cable to the switch.  

For the horn, with an ohmmeter, at the switch side of the connector probe the black/white and black/yellow wires.  Button pressed you should see 0 or close to 0 ohms.  Button not pressed, infinity.

Turn signals, right side orange and green wires, indicator on continuity, off, infinity.
Turn signals, left side, orange and grey, same drill.

If the switch tests bad you can try to disassemble the switch, clean, lube and reassemble.  I have an old switch, either the high beam or the horn doesn't work, can't remember.  The damage is mechanical.

Why do you need a rear light harness?
NAKID

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »

I think the first thing he should do is check the fuses...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:45:35 AM »

I think the first thing he should do is check the fuses...

Brecci says he did in his post.
brecchi

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

hey howie, i sprayed a little lube in there b/c i was out of wd/40 and i was just trying to clean things up a little bit. the horn wasnt working and i was trying to clean the rust out of the switch a little. theres a brand new horn and the fuses are good. so after i put the switch back together i had no turn signals, dash lights and the tach decided not to work anymore. this is embarrasing but i need a new rear harness b/c i let the wires dangle and they got shredded on the rear wheel. i dont have rear signals yet due to my hi mounts and was waiting to install an integrated turn signal light. i was doing a variety of stuff to the bike including installing a power commander which was straightforward and didnt seem to cause any problems. ill try to do what was suggested and ill probably buy that extra housing off you if it solves my problem. thanks for all the advice guys.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »

hey howie, i sprayed a little lube in there b/c i was out of wd/40 and i was just trying to clean things up a little bit. the horn wasnt working and i was trying to clean the rust out of the switch a little. theres a brand new horn and the fuses are good. so after i put the switch back together i had no turn signals, dash lights and the tach decided not to work anymore. this is embarrasing but i need a new rear harness b/c i let the wires dangle and they got shredded on the rear wheel. i dont have rear signals yet due to my hi mounts and was waiting to install an integrated turn signal light. i was doing a variety of stuff to the bike including installing a power commander which was straightforward and didnt seem to cause any problems. ill try to do what was suggested and ill probably buy that extra housing off you if it solves my problem. thanks for all the advice guys.

I will not sell you a broken switch.  That would just be wrong.  Come get it and it is yours.  Don't feel so embarrassed about the harness.  I've peeled an orange with my rear tire, lost a dozen roses off the back and also lost  a package with two T shirts and groceries. 
brecchi

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:51:05 AM »

thanks howie. if i need it ill get in touch and come by later in the week or maybe meet you at matchless on monday.
2001cromo

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »

I can't tell what "switch" you're talking about swapping.
horn/turn signal/hi beam?

But realize that the year a lot of the electrics all changed was 2001/2002. So if Breechi's is newer (post immobilizer) and I know howie's is older (pre immobilizer) than that switch ain't gonna fit.

HTH and GL
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:51:01 AM by 2001cromo » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »

Both bikes are '01s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: